Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No OD , high gear is 1:1. Shifting characteristics are MUCH softer than modern (or even stock TH350/400) transmissions.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Chief

The early 4 speed Hydromatics are really robust, excellent transmissions. Fluid level and condition is important, and it will likely need to be resealed/new gaskets.

Depending on how "correct" you want to be, that front seat could cost more than $2k to recover in leather. I have almost that much in mine after sourcing NOS material and having a local upholsterer do the work.

I like driving mine, so am not worried about perfect paint or chrome.

I would say that this sounds like a $2-3k car, and figure putting in another $3-5k into it. Even if you are into it for $10k all-in, how many other cars can you name at that price point that have this kind of style and rarity? I call it a bargain, but that's just me.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the response. Where are you located in the Pocono Mountains?? I'm a member of the Pocono Mountains Corvette Club, even though I live in NY, about 8-10 miles from Matamoras, PA., Carmine.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fyi...57's have king pins not ball joints. Why not use vinyl if redoing the interior. I would think that would save some$.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
Fyi...57's have king pins not ball joints. Why not use vinyl if redoing the interior. I would think that would save some$.
King pins, never knew that. Thought they went out with most cars in '55 or so. Thanks, Carmine.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM

For the speedo, you may be able to find a used one that could be swapped in for less money. As far as that goes, without knowing exactly what's wrong with the one in the car now it's hard to say how much it will cost to repair...it could be something simple, you never know. There are any number of instrument repair shops out there, you could shop around. Personally, I've used APT Instruments here in Minneapolis with good results. According to their website speedometer repairs can cost from $195 to $425 depending on what it needs. http://www.gaugeguys.com/

There's a 1957 factory brochure available online at the Old Car Brochures website, you may want to take a look at it: http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati.../dirindex.html It says the Star Chief did have leather as an option for the seats.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b_1957%20Pontiac%20Prestige-04-05.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	502399  

Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for that link. Funny thing, the original owner spent alot of money for leather seats, but no power steering. To each their own, I guess, Carmine.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FYI, the 57 Pontiacs have a 4 speed hydro, but it's the dual coupling version not the earlier dual range type. Big difference between the two designs. The trans is also known as super hydro and/or jetaway among others. It has the "park" position on the shift quadrant.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Thanks for the response. Where are you located in the Pocono Mountains?? I'm a member of the Pocono Mountains Corvette Club, even though I live in NY, about 8-10 miles from Matamoras, PA., Carmine.
South of Tannersville.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You KNOW you want it... That steering wheel alone is worth a grand. Let's see a photo of that bad boy on the trailer!
This could be You.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011461.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	502448  

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, still exploring the idea. I would probably would like to have it, but just want to be aware of what I'm getting into. I constantly research parts and availability of what I might need. Trying to convince myself that this might be a 2-3 year restoration and I could drive it while doing so. Problem with that is, I know how I am. I get started on something and don't pace myself. Don't want to stop till done. Going to call the owner tomorrow and hopefully make arrangements for Monday, to see the car again. Want to look underneath real well. The last thing I need is a rust bucket, which I really don't think this car is. Then it's negotiation time. I have an idea of what I'm willing to pay, based on what I know at this time. Not sure it will be acceptable. Time will tell, Carmine.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been researching the availability of various parts for a '57 Star Chief, and there appears to be alot out there. I found stuff for the front end steering/suspension/braking, some of which includes outer tie rod ends. I didn't come across any inner tie rod ends at all. Is there a reason for this?? Anything to do with having king pins and not ball joints?? Thanks, Carmine.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for that link. Funny thing, the original owner spent alot of money for leather seats, but no power steering. To each their own, I guess, Carmine.
Leather seats were not an extra cost item on that model.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Larry View Post
Leather seats were not an extra cost item on that model.
OK. Thanks. Learning new stuff all the time, Carmine.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I might have previously mentioned, that this coming Monday I'm going to look at this '57 Pontiac again. Going to bring a jack, stands, lights, etc. This will be my final look and I'll have to make a decision. At least I'll know what this car is and what it might take to make it nice; a decent driver. In the mean time, I've been on line looking at whatever '57's are available. I think I've search every site there is. The prices for ones boasting to be beautiful, restored, ready to drive, needing little, seem to be all over the charts. The range is from $10,000.00-$19,000.00 and more which I have zero interest in. Some dreamers out there. They all present well, but you never know what they are until inspection. A couple of them I inquired about, but as of now, I haven't received a response. Makes me wonder as to how legitimate they might be. Two/three of them, I would have a genuine interest in, based on what is described. I know I could never do one over for what these vehicles appear to offer price wise. So now, this becomes a little bit of an issue. I have to define what my intent is for purchasing one. Do I purchase this '57 which is local to keep me busy or do I buy one done and just wax it. Hmm..........................Originally, I wanted to restore something solid, rust and dent free as best possible. But after looking at finished ones on line, I'm just not sure any more. My other cars in my collection, have great paint and I do wax them. So, do I need another one for wax purposes?? I just don't know. I bounce back and forth all the time on this. I venture to say, that if one of my inquiries produced a response, I just might go that way. For some reason, I'm just not optimistic that there will be one. I do know this much; I'm glad I looked on line. It gave me a different perspective and insight on what the one I'm going to look at, might be worth. Again, based on what I saw and was described on line, I don't believe I would offer a dime more then $4,000.00 for this one. That might be a bit generous. Perhaps offer $3,500.00 and can always go up. What ever I do purchase, hope it's a well thought out, good decision, because I'll be left with it, Carmine.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looked at this car again today. Jacked it up so i could see better. Long story short. Rust through on the passenger side inner rocker and 2 body mounts rusted through. Pieces came off in my hand. Too, too much rust for me. Disappointed, but that's way things go. This car isn't for me. Will keep looking. No biggie. Thanks everyone for the responses, Carmine.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Looked at this car again today. Jacked it up so i could see better. Long story short. Rust through on the passenger side inner rocker and 2 body mounts rusted through. Pieces came off in my hand. Too, too much rust for me. Disappointed, but that's way things go. This car isn't for me. Will keep looking. No biggie. Thanks everyone for the responses, Carmine.
As irrational as it may be to restore and keep these old beasts going, there are limits. You performed your due diligence.

Can you post pictures and perhaps location of this car, in case someone else may be willing to take it on?

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi everyone. I'd like to think I'm closing in on a '57 StarChief 4d ht. I'm in the very early stages of negotiations, but this car might show some promise. I tried to research this myself, but didn't do so well. My question is about the engine which I'm told is original. It's a 347 cubic inch motor with 270 hp. Other then fuel injection, I do believe a tripower was also offered in '57?? What hp would an engine be with the tripower?? What is needed to go from the 270 hp engine to the tripowered one?? I know a tripower is certainly needed, but what else?? Different heads or cam?? Just trying to do a little homework before jumping in. Many thanks, Carmine.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Yes, tripower was available in 1957. There were apparently two levels, 290hp with a 'standard' engine, 317hp with an 'extra horsepower' engine. This is from a copy of the Craftsman Service Craftsman News, posted over on the pontiacsafari.com website: http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Early...wer/index.html I'm not sure what all comprised the 'extra horsepower' engine, it did have a hotter camshaft.

I'd suggest looking around on that site, there's a ton of information available including service manuals. http://www.pontiacsafari.com/

Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you. I appreciate that info, Carmine..