Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default parts place trash

Usually I expect to find inferior stuff from the parts place, I ordered these thru ames, was shocked they were in a parts place box...……..does anyone have a better place to order these back plates for the rear brakes...…...on the tabs that the brakes sit on, they look pretty much smooth.

Would be nice for ames to publish where there getting this stuff from.

Sorry for the rant, just been burned with parts place trash in the past.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts place.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	511696  

Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I may have nice originals ...

Scoott t

Old 05-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Scott, I have your email that you sent me before, if you have some time take a look ok, at this point im gonna have someone check these pieces out...…….my original's are just dirty, and it looks like a pad or two is worn...…….

I believe in using the sponsor's parts, due to the forum...……

Instead of saying Nations largest supplier of Pontiac parts...…...should read we just resell parts place parts.

Hard to tell im upset about these rip off parts...……...

Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Suspended

I remember when Steve would always comment on the quality (or lack there of) of a part he sold whether he made it or someone else. If it was a sh it ty piece he would tell you. That was then, this is now. Sad

Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I remember when Steve would always comment on the quality (or lack there of) of a part he sold whether he made it or someone else. If it was a sh it ty piece he would tell you. That was then, this is now. Sad
I hear ya on that one chief...…..I looked at some on inline tube, they say they have a different supplier of these parts. I hate ordering parts, sending them back and eat the shipping...……..usually I like to go in person with the "Dick Me" sign on my forehead.

Has anyone tried the ones from inline tube...……...im hoping these will maybe work with the non-tabs for the brakes to sit on.

Would be nice to hear something from Ames about this...……...I see if you say anything about there shipping charges, there all over that.

Yeah, I got to calm down, im only out $ 100, its just the point.

Rich

Old 05-07-2019, 05:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cannot see any problem with the tabs being smooth.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen where the PP,Ames and in the past Performance years each had parts made and they would sell to each co including OPG and Classic.Maybe if Chris reads this he can clarify?Tom

Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Geoff, its not the tabs being smooth...…….its kind of the lack of tabs, not really defined well.……….also its missing that bottom shield, not sure if that matters or not, not sure what that even does. Would have to get my originals sand blasted then have some weld put on the grooves I have in those tabs...…….would probably be the same amount of money.

So still asking if anyone has used these parts with any success.

Thanks

Rich

Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rich, I almost bought those and decided to clean up my originals.
I'm assuming you are talking about those pads that the shoes ride on around the perimeter of the plate?
What 'bottom shield' are you referring to?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Usually I expect to find inferior stuff from the parts place, I ordered these thru ames, was shocked they were in a parts place box...……..does anyone have a better place to order these back plates for the rear brakes...…...on the tabs that the brakes sit on, they look pretty much smooth.

Would be nice for ames to publish where there getting this stuff from.

Sorry for the rant, just been burned with parts place trash in the past.

Rich
There are two manufacturers that we are aware of, and in this case The Parts Place backing plates have proven to be the better quality piece. We have test fitted and found that these work quite well. I understand your frustration, but as a retail business, we get parts from many different manufacturers; including The Parts Place. You will find this with all of our competitors. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at kyler@amesperf.com. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
We still do that same exact thing today, even more so now than ever before. We do our best to research each and every part, so you don't have to go through the frustration. If you are not satisfied with one of our parts, please let us know! We are always open to your input. This is still a family owned business, with customer service as a top priority.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
There are two manufacturers that we are aware of, and in this case The Parts Place backing plates have proven to be the better quality piece. We have test fitted and found that these work quite well. I understand your frustration, but as a retail business, we get parts from many different manufacturers; including The Parts Place. You will find this with all of our competitors. If you would like to discuss this further, please email me at kyler@amesperf.com. Thanks!
Thank you for the reply...………..I did not see any quality reports on this piece in my catalog.

Ive been burned by those guys way too often to even consider buying anything from them.

BUT, since your saying the test fit is good, I will give it a try.

Thanks

Rich

Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
I hear ya on that one chief...…..I looked at some on inline tube, they say they have a different supplier of these parts. I hate ordering parts, sending them back and eat the shipping...……..usually I like to go in person with the "Dick Me" sign on my forehead.

Has anyone tried the ones from inline tube...……...im hoping these will maybe work with the non-tabs for the brakes to sit on.

Would be nice to hear something from Ames about this...……...I see if you say anything about there shipping charges, there all over that.

Yeah, I got to calm down, im only out $ 100, its just the point.

Rich
The tabs also have punch marks to hold grease & the edge guards are a must . I would pass on the improper parts / brakes are important.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
The tabs also have punch marks to hold grease & the edge guards are a must . I would pass on the improper parts / brakes are important.
No edge guards are used because they really are not needed. They do still have the lip present which acts as a guard and will stop anything from entering the drum. If you grease the brake components properly during install, it will not matter if there is a punch mark or not. These are a reproduction, so they are not exactly like original. We have not only used the plates on personal vehicles with success, but In all of the years we've been selling these, we have gotten great feedback.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM
Senior Chief

They are described online, even with GM part# they replace:
https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/De...A&web_access=Y

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had these backing plates on my Chevelle for several years......they work just fine......no problems.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Backing plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
Just wondering when you did your testing, did you try to get a parking brake cable in the way undersized hole.

In the pic is where the cable fits in the original part...…….the other pic I cant even get it started in the hole.

Im thinking of just buying from the other manufacture just to see if they are worse, which I find hard to believe. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad fit (6).jpg
Views:	334
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	512517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad fit (1).jpg
Views:	340
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	512518  

Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had pretty good luck with Inline Tube here lately. They offer an alternative that addresses some of your concerns.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-77-A-F-X...FZfzUW&vxp=mtr

or these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-74-GM-Re....c100005.m1851

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 05-18-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So reproductions can now be called NOS?WTF?Tom

Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
So reproductions can now be called NOS?WTF?Tom
If you read the description it reads "made to NOS specifications"