The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Dyeing a convertible boot-what is the best?

Hi guys,

I need your expertise indyeing my mint 65 convertible boot. I bought it off eBay years ago, and it is mint, but......it is dark brown!! Ouch. I want to dye it Parchment, to match the 65 Parchment interior. Who has the best dye (rattle can) and, is there a secret or two to doing this, other than ,thorough cleaning, priming,light coats (?). I am concerned about the stitching that is original. Since the thread is smaller diameter and the holes are small, what is the secret to making it look like original? I certainly do not want to clean out each
stitched area if possible. That would take forever. thanks Larry Banks

Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Chief

SEM has good dyes and adhesion promoters....Steve

Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trying to go from dark to light is difficult, especially on something that is not mounted in place. You will be disturbing the edges of that type of part every time you take it off or put it on. My recommendation would be to buy a parchment boot but if you want to try----
SEM is a favorite but there are some tricks to it. Cleanliness of surface being the most important. The adhesion promoter helps but again it must stick to a prepped surface. Soap and water it a few times, let it dry well, then take a piece of cloth and lighlty wipe it it down with laquer thinner. The key is lightly, do not saturate or you will be buying a new boot, this opens the vinyl up a bit - then follow the can directions to a "T".

Good Luck,
Joe

Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might be inclined to take it to some kind of leather tannery where they actually dye fabric as a business, and get a professional opinion.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the advise. The boot is never going to be mounted on the car, just left in the trunk for shows.in an NOS boot bag. I think the dye will work, if the preparation is thorough and precise. I am even reproducing the original Naugahyde 65 inside a hexagonal geometric "frame", as it came from the factory on the fabric side (underside). Spaced out the same,etc.
Anal? Yep, but, fun to try. Larry B.