Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM

Default 1970 Firebird convert AC to NON AC

Guys,

I have a 1970 Firebird with AC and I want to convert the car and dash to non AC (with heater only). I also want the small drawbars on the kick panels that can be pulled to open vents and let in fresh air. Is this possible to do? If so can you guys provide some information on how to do it?

-John

Old 01-29-2015, 01:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Default Check if you can find...

Back in 2000, High Performance Pontiac Had a magazine article on how to shed the AC in the car. It was the April 2000. Check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/April-2000-H...item20d15b90f2

Let me know. If not, give me an email address so I can send the article for you.

Last edited by SteveGB21; 01-29-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Revised.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 AM

thank you I just ordered the magazine off of ebay

Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 AM
Suspended

IMO, I'd leave the A/c in the car. It will make the car worth more money & as you get older YOU WILL want that A/C when it gets hot out. Plus once you get the mag. & see how much work it is to take the A/C out & do it right you may want to just buy anotheer car w/o A/C to work with. The biggest deal is the firewalls are completly different, althouhg they do make a panal to cut in so it doesn't look like you ever had A/C but it is very ivolved to do. Also there is a bunch os stuff you have to change under the dash, & the best way would be is if you have a doner car that has all the stuff you need sitting right there with you. Once you get the mag. artical you'll see what I'm saying. I wouldn't do it.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM

I understand where you are coming from but this is a race car with a full roll cage it does not need the added weight or the complexity of an air conditioner.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its pretty easy to do..you have to do a bit of metalwork on the firewall because the hole is different for the heater core..I did mine a few years ago but didn't put an opening in for the top vent so its non functional,but the bottom vent works fine.All you need is inner and outer heater assembly,heater core,blower fan,y duct for the defrost and heater control and the wiring from the heater control to the capacitor on the inner box,and out to the fan.And a hot wire to the heater control.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:35 PM

take a look at this. It seems to solve all the issues and easily converts an AC car to non AC.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/70-81_F-Body.htm

Old 03-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the ACDelete panels before. They do the job well and make it look nice and clean!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's no big deal to do. Use the AC delete plate that was posted above. I have one and its a quality piece. I think it used to be called American Grafitti because mine looks identical. If you want to save a few bucks, I made my first one out of fiberglass by hacking up sections of the old AC box and making a mold. I never swapped out the heater controls though and all the non AC parts work fine. Easier to put back if I ever were so inclined but I'd probably go hybrid aftermarket instead of boat anchor A6 etc.