Old 09-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Crank/balancer issues when adding vintage air?

I'm currently working on a 56 Chevy and want to add Vintage air. I have discovered that I need to drill and tap the crank snout in order to add a balancer with the correct pulley for the a/c since the original balancer has a single pulley riveted on and the balancer is pressed in with no retaining bolt.

I also have a 67 Tempest with the stock 326 (currently covered with boxes of parts for the 56). I want to add A/C to this one as well. Will I run into the same issue? I cannot recall the pulley setup and can't open the hood at the present.

Can anyone help me out?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1964 389 is basically the same and I used the PS belt groove to drive the AC and PS using a longer belt.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default You shouldn't have to drill or tap anything on the 1967 Pontiac engine.

Pulleys bolt on and balancers have a retaining bolt from the factory.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent info! Thanks

Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my Vintage Air addition the optional Vintage AC bracket aligns the compressor pulley with the original stock AC pulley on the crank, and I located a used pulley set from an original AC car. Since then I've discovered that The Parts Place has a nice set of steel pulleys that are exact duplicates of the factory pulleys.

Pontiac played a lot of games with pulley offsets and you can't just add the AC pulley behind the non-AC double crank pulley without the double pulley being a little too far forward. Pontiac used a slightly shallower double pulley on AC cars to keep everything in alignment.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good info to know.

Would you happen to have some links to the "correct" pulley's that are necessary?

This project is on the list in the near future. I like to have all the correct parts (ones that have been tried and tested and work) on hand so that I don't have to do the whole trial by error.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First the disclaimer that the following pulley numbers only fit the early systems that were set up for the 8-bolt water pump, and will not fit the later 11-bolt units. Best thing to do is simply type in each of the following numbers in the eBay search and it will bring up both used and new pulleys. I have a stash of probably 50 pulleys I've collected over the years and no two are the same and I haven't even made a dent in all the pulleys offered. Pontiac went bonkers with using different pulley offsets every time they added or deleted an accessory. I can say that these numbers came on 1966 and 1967 cars with A/C and power steering, but simply haven't had the opportunity to verify earlier years. Spacing should be the same since the same balancer and accessories were used, but simply haven't read the numbers on earlier pulleys to see if they are the same number. I also found a smaller 6" water pump pulley that aligned properly and was an inch smaller in diameter which speeds up the fan and water pump even faster, but unfortunately that jewel is with the '67 GTO Cruiser I sold which now resides somewhere in Utah with its new owner. Anyway here are the part numbers:

9782704 1 groove A/C pulley 8"
9786907 2 groove crank pulley 8"
9786909 2 grove water pump pulley 7"

There is also a large elastic ring that drops in place out at the pulley edges between the A/C pulley and the 2-groove pulley. I'm guessing it was for cancelling out harmonics? Anyway I've pulled quite a few assemblies apart where that big rubber ring was missing and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Pontiac had a reason for it, and if anyone can confirm its purpose I'd like to know. My best guess is that big A6 AC compressor was flexing the single pulley and the makeshift rubber ring helped stabilize things.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry for slow reply. Been busy with the other car. Thanks for all the good info. It will surely save me some time when I get back to the Tempest...

Thanks again!