Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wire Loom/Wrap

I had to do some electrical work on my tractor that required pulling off the factory wire wrap. Anyone have any good suggestions for something to wrap them back up with? I hate electrical tape that will get all gooey and nasty in an application like this. It's within a foot of the engine, and will be stored outdoors, although not directly in the weather.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get non-adhesive tape specifically designed for wrapping up wire harnesses. Speedway is one source, although you may be able to find it elsewhere for a lower price. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...nt,117368.html

Old 01-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking about the non-stick stuff ... how do you handle the ends of the wrap ... small piece of electrical tape? Or do a little undewrap/knot in the end?

McMaster sells a bunch of stuff, I was thinking about maybe some of the spiral plastic stuff ... but that obviously doesn't keep out much dirt or moisture.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can do a little underwrap or knot, use a little bit of regular electrical tape just to hold down the end (some good stuff like 3M brand), or if possible use a short piece of shrink tube. A cable tie would work as well, but not be as neat looking

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3m cloth friction tape
https://www.google.com/search?q=3m+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

try it youlle like it ... no issues with heat ... sticks to itself .. no stretch ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to try both of those ideas ... found the wrap at McMaster and the 3M at Amazon.
Thank you.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Thank you for this post mine is done with black electrical tape and I hate it!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-08-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the stuff ,,, its NOT a replacement for electrical tape as it is cloth ...
it has the finish of a tack rag kinda,,,, not real sticky by its self . but it sticks to itself nicely
no slipping ,no glue goo , has a dull finish and has the old school look ,,
buy 2 rolls ... store it in a small sandwich zip lock or it will dry out in a few months and the glue
kinda goes away...I like to use it warm also,,,it doesn't like to be wrapped in the cold..not as sticky,,,
sometimes I microwave it to loosen up the impregnated glue .... then hit it with the heat gun and massage it
and good to go ......................

Scott T

Old 01-09-2020, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the subject of tape ... and you don't want to use this product on your car ... try some ZIP tape from Home Depot, it's a construction tape used to seal sheathing panels in building construction. It's got an industrial acrylic adhesive that is mind numbingly sticky and it holds up in any weather, any exposure. In fact it's too sticky in some cases.

I taped up a crack in an old plastic garbage can lid, it looked like an Arizona 68 GTO seat back panel, that was about five years ago ... it's still there, outside, in upstate NY, still on, just a little faded while the lid it's taped to is slowly corroding away.

However, don't use this stuff on anything you don't want to chance ruining because you may never get it off again. I put some temporarily on some vinyl siding .... had to actually replace the siding, nothing, I mean nothing would remove the left over adhesive, not MEK, no paint thinners, not gasoline, not carb cleaner, not acetone.

It's not cheap, about $25 a roll for the 3-4" wide stuff, but you could build a house with this stuff.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but I'm a big fan of that tape

Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
On the subject of tape ... and you don't want to use this product on your car ... try some ZIP tape from Home Depot, it's a construction tape used to seal sheathing panels in building construction. It's got an industrial acrylic adhesive that is mind numbingly sticky and it holds up in any weather, any exposure. In fact it's too sticky in some cases.

I taped up a crack in an old plastic garbage can lid, it looked like an Arizona 68 GTO seat back panel, that was about five years ago ... it's still there, outside, in upstate NY, still on, just a little faded while the lid it's taped to is slowly corroding away.

However, don't use this stuff on anything you don't want to chance ruining because you may never get it off again. I put some temporarily on some vinyl siding .... had to actually replace the siding, nothing, I mean nothing would remove the left over adhesive, not MEK, no paint thinners, not gasoline, not carb cleaner, not acetone.

It's not cheap, about $25 a roll for the 3-4" wide stuff, but you could build a house with this stuff.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but I'm a big fan of that tape
Zip tape is def. great for its intended purpose, but I dont think I would use it for a wire loom.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be great for a wire loom that you never, ever, ever wanted to take back off again

Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used the 3M cloth stuff today. Nice product. If it stays on as well as it went on and doesn't dry out or anything I will be very happy with it. Looks nice, easier to use and neater than electrical tape. Definitely looks way more "factory" than electrical tape.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

pictures at 11:00

Old 01-12-2020, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to post some pics ... but it's just a tractor Very happy with the way it looks, also terminates nicely, seems to stick to itself pretty well. On applications where you could slip on a short piece of heat shrink to terminate would make a super sanitary installation. Very reminiscent of what we used in the military in the 70's to wrap wire.