Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Power Steering Pump, Pulley, Puller

HI Guys,

I have a new pump and lines in the mail. I am reading getting the pulley off will be a bear. I have a few choices I think to have the least amount of cursing.

1. buy a new pulley, don't bother trying to get old one off. $100
2. buy this tool, seems to be one that works without an impact driver which I don't have. $50 https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-39000-P...ustomerReviews
3. take the pump into an auto shop and have them do it for $60-$120.
4. leave the pump off and get used to manual steering..

Thoughts?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, there's less expensive pullers out there that work, and you can use a wrench or ratchet with them. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7874-Pu...HZW3D7EP2ZJ9YP

They can be a little awkward, but once you play with it, you will get it.

Pulleys can be a little tricky, you get a generic one or one that's not aligned right, you will have belt toss issues. But luckily, being a later series pulley setup, which I believe is roughly 71-77/78, you can probably get one for about $40. Look at our host, Ames, they should be able to provide one that is compatible.

Hopefully you got a pump with the reservoir installed, mating a pump with a reservoir can be a challenge to get them to seal up. I've never had any luck with trying to mate one.

Finally, power steering pumps, lately, the repop/rebuilt ones, well, suck. Valving and quality leave a lot to be desired, most are rebuilt so many times, they will never work right, they squeal, leak, or overheat, and it takes a few to get one that works. If you have issues, don't struggle with it, and don't hesitate to send it back. On my last pump, it took 3 to get a good one, and that was from NAPA.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My local O’Reilley’s auto parts loans pullers. Is your pulley press on or bolt on? If it’s bolt on, you’ll need an impact wrench anyway to get it off.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Eons ago I took the pump from my 60 to Auto Zone to get a loner puller. Young gal there got the puller, we took a look to make sure it would work (trial fit). She proceeded to just pull it off wo a hitch. Took about 2 minutes and didn't cost a cent.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the tool below from Harbor Freight. It's cheap and worked fine for the several times I've used it to pull and install pulleys on my ps pumps. The round clamp part has a sleeve to hold the 2 pieces together when you place it on the snout of the pulley. I found sleeve didn't hold tight enough, so I used a screw-type radiator hose clamp instead of the sleeve, which worked well to solve that problem.

With a press-on style pulley and pump, it's not obvious how far to press the pulley on, since you can go too far or not far enough. So, the pulley should be installed so the front face of the pulley snout is even and flush with the end of the pump shaft.

I would just re-use the pulley you have.

When you get your new pump, if you bought one that's complete with the reservoir, I've found that they are sometimes dirty or rusty inside. So before using it, I suggest using a flashlight to look inside the fill hole at the inside of the housing to look for rusting of the interior housing. I'd send back a rusty one. If it looks okay, pour some transmission fluid in it, slosh it around and pour it out, watching for dirt or rust particles. Do it a couple times until it comes out clean. A few specks of debris should be okay, but if there's a lot that comes out, I'd send it back.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley...-pc-63068.html

Old 12-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

rent the small puller from auto zone, it works great on the press on pulleys, the one from my 72 came off very quick & easy. ive also removed the bolt on ones & it doesnt require an impact gun, just a good 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar & a 2nd pair of hands to hold the pulley. but an impact would probably make it easier, especially if it rusted on there good.

also the A1 cardone reman pumps with attached reservoir are very good & not that expensive, you have to reuse your valve from your pump but it installs easy. got mine from rock auto with warranty for a good price.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't use the tool to install the pulley, only to remove it. To install the pulley, slip it on the shaft, line up the keyway, and use the nut to draw it down.

Good advice to reuse your original valve, but I lately have had no luck with the general rebuild specials like Cardone. All I can say there is good luck.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 12-19-2018, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the press on pulley. I ordered a pump from Ames. Hope they have good luck with their supplier. I don't want to have to take it all apart again for a cheap pump.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Don't use the tool to install the pulley, only to remove it. To install the pulley, slip it on the shaft, line up the keyway, and use the nut to draw it down.

Good advice to reuse your original valve, but I lately have had no luck with the general rebuild specials like Cardone. All I can say there is good luck.

yes use the nut to install it, on mine it put the pulley in the correct position as you just tighten the nut untill it stops. i couldnt find a torque rating for it so i went to about what it felt like loosening it... ~ 30-35lb/ft. i used a dab of blue loctite to be sure it stayed tight.

ive used 2 of the cardone reman pumps & they worked great, they are not supplied with the valve so it says you have to reuse yours. good oppotunity to clean it out & start fresh.

& be sure to follow the bleed procedure for a new pump.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Suspended

When I need a certain tool I know I am only going to probably use once in my life I go to a local big box auto parts store or Harbor Fright and buy one of their cheapies. Those tools are crap and are usually only good 1 time but you only need it 1 time and it is cheaper than ruining a part.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
When I need a certain tool I know I am only going to probably use once in my life I go to a local big box auto parts store or Harbor Fright and buy one of their cheapies. Those tools are crap and are usually only good 1 time but you only need it 1 time and it is cheaper than ruining a part.
only good 1 time? granted they arent snap on quality tools, but these tools are rented probably hundreds of times & they work fine & are usually treated poorly. they last far longer than 1 time...

Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
yes use the nut to install it, on mine it put the pulley in the correct position as you just tighten the nut untill it stops. i couldnt find a torque rating for it so i went to about what it felt like loosening it... ~ 30-35lb/ft. i used a dab of blue loctite to be sure it stayed tight.
He has a press-on pulley pump. No nut.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah. Thanks for the clarification, missed that.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
He has a press-on pulley pump. No nut.
yes i saw that, i was agreeing with hwystr's comment about installing a slip on one.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
yes i saw that, i was agreeing with hwystr's comment about installing a slip on one.
okay, sorry .

Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
okay, sorry .
thanks for clarifying that his is a press on.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Harbor Freight tool will work fine for occasional use. To make it last a while, lube all the lead screw threads with wheel bearing grease. Make sure the pulley is absolutely straight before pulling it on. Put a little engine oil on the shaft and inside the pulley. If you have to transfer the reservoir to the new pump, "glue in" the 3 o-rings to the pump body with low melting point grease like Vasoline. also lube the big o-ring with same. try not to stretch it much to install in groove on pump body. Clamp the pump body in a vise, shaft facing the floor, pulley off. Now gently lever the reservoir into place over the big o-ring on to the body. Try not to twist it, that dislodges the various o-rings. install the bolts and your in business.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys. I was going to leave the pump in the car and take the pulley off. Can I do that. Solid mount

Old 12-20-2018, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have to replace the pump I have heard that CVF or Turn One is the hot ticket for power steering pumps. Turn One being obviously more expensive. I have the CVF pump and it looks like a quality piece.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"ive used 2 of the cardone reman pumps & they worked great, they are not supplied with the valve so it says you have to reuse yours. good oppotunity to clean it out & start fresh. "

What is this valve you speak of?

I need to get a replacement pump for a 65 and have not read anything about reusing a valve.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk