Old 02-09-2020, 07:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Undercarriage and frame paint

Hi everyone. I'm starting to develop an interest in a '66 GTO convertible. In pics and narrative, appears to be a very nice car. My question is this: the frame needs to be repainted/restored and is showing signs of semi-gloss black paint. The floor pans and related areas also show signs of the same color black with some of the paint worn off exposing metal. Would the factory have painted the area's described in a black paint?? It doesn't matter a whole lot. I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into. I've done a cursory inquiry with the owner who said the car had a "ground up" restoration. Asked what this meant exactly and he said the restoration took place with the body on the car. I have to assume the undercarriage wasn't touched. Thank you, Carmine.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any ideas or suggestions, thank you.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For many years it was common to spray the entire undercarriage area with a black 'undercarriage' or semi gloss paint. The factory sprayed some mostly flat black on the floor pans and other sheet metal under the car. The frame was shipped in and already coated is some sort of black rust preventative paint. These colors didn't match exactly, and there would be body color overspray around the edges of the floorpans, etc.

Even in dry areas of the country most of the frame coating has worn off except for very low mileage cars that were always stored inside. There is usually a coating of surface rust on the frame, unless someone has painted it in recent years.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you. I appreciate your response, Carmine.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 66 LeMans still had 80% of the original coating on the floorboards when I bought it 10 years ago. It was a blackish/greenish speckle. I can't get a picture right now.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
My 66 LeMans still had 80% of the original coating on the floorboards when I bought it 10 years ago. It was a blackish/greenish speckle. I can't get a picture right now.
That's ok. Thank you anyway, Carmine.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

If its not too late, check out this gentleman's thread about his current frame painting experience with Eastwood products:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=148

Interesing thread to follow all around.

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwmlp View Post
If its not too late, check out this gentleman's thread about his current frame painting experience with Eastwood products:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&postcount=148

Interesing thread to follow all around.
Yep, that's my thread. Although I can't speak much to the kind of finishes the factory used, I'm certainly happy to share my experiences with cleaning and repainting. The entire underside of my car had been sprayed with a thick tar-like undercoating, so all of the factory finishes were obscured.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
....The frame was shipped in and already coated is some sort of black rust preventative paint. ......
My '66 Fremont built GS still had some of the original black on the frame. It appeared to be more of a tar-like coating than a paint. I tried to clean it up with a mild solvent like paint prep and it just wiped off.
Quanta products carries the asphalt-based frame 'paint':
https://www.gastanks.com/Q-Coat-Asph...uctinfo/06-14/

Agree with the haphazardly applied black paint...especially on the front and rear suspensions.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:38 PM

I used Eastwoods primer and chassis black and results were great.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:35 PM

I know this is an older thread, but we are trying to research the same for a Kansas plant car. I have done several cars over the years, some cars seemed to have a red oxide paint and some were a black oxide (primers). Some were blacked out after the oxide dip and some were not. I did a 65 GTO from Pontiac plant that was red oxide underbody with no black and it also had a bunch of regimental red overspray on the underside as well, only the firewall was blacked out. My current project was from the Fremont plant last week on January 64 it had the body in red oxide but the underside was blacked out (several of the cross braces were still showing some red oxide showing through and red under bumper was all red oxide). The car body was all red oxide under the factory paint (door skins and quarters etc.) while the hood the factory fender (one was also replaced and it was black oxide primered as well) was all black oxide primer. The car has a large amount of sunfire red overspray including the entire wheel well area being painted in body color. The 66 was a Blue Charcoal car built the first week of April, anyone very picky to detail work and document the underside of their car built similar time at the Kansas plant?