Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bidder/Buyer Beware

Friend told me my old car was for sale on ebay being advertised as a GTO. Ebay 270753773486. It started life as a Lemans, I know, I built it. If you know who is bidding/buying this car advise them. While it is very nice, it is what it is. I can tell an interested party what exactly to look for on this car. I have already emailed the seller and advised him to be honest.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Suspended

bravo on taking an honest stand.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...sQ26Q5ffviQ3d1

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who would trust this seller after reviewing his feedback?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great color combo, what is it called... Nightwatch Blue, Fontaine blue or Bluemist Slate? Interior looks original for a 40K mile car. Any rust?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He claims "PHS Documents".

Bob, what do you know about the VIN tag?

Doctored PHS doc would be pretty simple to uncover. VIN tag swap would be a little tougher.

Just curious if you know any more about it. Did you ever run PHS on it? Same VIN as now?

Always the chance that this guy was duped by a doctored PHS when he bought it so maybe not really the bad guy here. Still, once you've informed him, he would have a responsibility to divulge the facts. Assuming it really is your old car.

I assume your car was unquestionably a Lemans, not a real GTO with the wrong VIN tag on it. Have uncovered a few such examples of that (legacy of rampant auto theft from the '60s).

For the record, Seller originally listed the VIN as 237275Z122924 but on Monday revised that to show 237275Z12XXXX.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the car from the original owner, I know what it was/is. Was column shift Lemans, auto with 326. I added tilt, defogger, rally gauges, changed it to 4 speed. Carpeting and hood pad are original as is interior. I also added wagon wheels with deep offset so the poverty caps would sit inside the wheel and avoid road rash. Car had 60K miles when I bought it, motor had 5 -7K.

I provided him with the PHS or at least the set I got showing it as Lemans.

And thanks John V. for having the VIN number, forced me to look in the safe and I found the bill of sale to him with THAT VIN on it. I was a little worried that it might come back on me as I thought I had tossed the bill of sale.

The color is blue charcoal poly.

Last edited by BOB VIDAN; 05-25-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, you sold it to the current seller? Sounds like he has absolutely no excuse for representing it without qualification.

Gotta say, car appears very nice. So maybe the bidders know what they are doing. I hope so.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 60,000 transformed to 45,000?

Bob did you drive the car a lot and it really has 145,000 miles on it now, or? I wonder how it somehow magically has less miles on it for ebay than when you first got the car as a Lemans?

[QUOTE=BOB VIDAN;4327542]I bought the car from the original owner, I know what it was/is. Was column shift Lemans, auto with 326. I added tilt, defogger, rally gauges, changed it to 4 speed. Carpeting and hood pad are original as is interior. I also added wagon wheels with deep offset so the poverty caps would sit inside the wheel and avoid road rash. Car had 60K miles when I bought it, motor had 5 -7K.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John and Pete. I sold the car to this seller, he knows what it really is. He has not replied to my inquiry about it not being advertised correctly. I bought the car in the early 90's and it was done around 93 or 94. Longest drive I did in it was to the current sellers house in Medford, about 275 miles. I put maybe 6 - 8K on it, total. He may have turned back the speedo because he had to pull the dash to replace the tac which didn't work, but I gave him one I bought from you Pete a few years ago.

The car is pretty stunning and won several trophies at Tiger Run over the years. Wife drove it over there once. You can still see the 67 HO manifolds I put on it in one of the pictures. Car has a few very distinct items I can tell the buyer, if it gets that far.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, the seller is a crook. Bob, did this guy seem smarmy? Larry B.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, he was pretty standup and is known by other GTO people in the area as being straight. Might be his son selling it but I don't think so.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, someone needs to report this item to ebay as a fraudulent representation. I'll do it when I get a chance if nobody else does. It's bid up to over 20k, which it's worth, IMO, but who knows how far it will go? If I thought this particular car was indeed real, I'd be willing to go well over 40k if I were a bidder....it's a super nice car and very tastefully done.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went on ebay to "report" the auction as mis-represented and realized that I have no proof the car isn't real and that I could get in trouble with the seller, and ebay. I am concerned that someone will get burned on this deal, but I have no way of "backing up" the fact that the car is a very nice clone....

Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

We could all do a little phone campaign asking him about this issue?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you look at the guy's feedback, it is obvious he prefers representing copies as originals...

(Not meant as a comment towards you Mr. Vidan. Apparently, the seller appears to have sold copies of the same item several times.)

Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Sounds like a kid with a drug problem, MO.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I went on ebay to "report" the auction as mis-represented and realized that I have no proof the car isn't real and that I could get in trouble with the seller, and ebay. I am concerned that someone will get burned on this deal, but I have no way of "backing up" the fact that the car is a very nice clone....
Just copy and paste this link .

To whom it may concern per this web link you feel the car in this auction is being mis- represented. Bobs statement alone is enough to start an investigation .

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Tom, it does. But, in a recession, I have expected this type of behavior. People are getting desparate, but.. that is no freakin' excuse! You are who you are ,not who you think you are. Larry B.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe the word is geting out looks like bidding is stuck at under the reserve so far. Nice car.