THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Default FIRST TIME MEMEBER LONG TIME LURKER

Good morning PY fam,

First time member, long time lurker since I inherited a 72 Pontiac Firebird formula 350 from my dad. Long story short, my dad has completely restored the car back in 2002 and they day after he finished the paint job he wanted to take it out on a test drive, and as he was pulling out of the apartment complex, a brand new 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG hit my dad on the passenger side at about 80mph. The other driver passed away on impact (he had no insurance btw); The firebird on the other hand sustain heavy damage on the passenger side door but still opens and closes. My dad got depressed after and left the car sitting 22 years until he bought and 69 Ford Torino GT Fastback and told me I could have the 72 Firebird.
The Firebird had a BOP 350 that my dad had stroked out 383 with a TH350 that had a shift kit. When I started the process of wanting to rebuild the engine, it was to far gone from the elements.
Now to the nitty gritty and hoping for all of your help:
I am not new to building engines, I have built countless Ford 289s, 302s, 351s both Windsor and Cleveland, Chevy 327s, 350s, 396, 454s, LS engines, Honda engines and so forth. But this will be my first BOP.
For this car I have acquired a BOP 400 casting 481988 from a 73 firebird its 0.30 over with OEM crank, stock connecting rods and sealed power L2262F forged pistons. I also bought all the gaskets including 1 piece oil pan gasket, new piston rings, new connecting rod bearings and crank bearings. I bought a Comp Cams XE262H-10 cam and plan on using the #13 heads the old motor came with since they were not in bad condition. I also have an Edelbrock 2156 performer intake and a rebuilt Quadrajet, the headers I will be using are Dough Thorley headers my dad got some time ago I do not know if they are 1 -3/4 or 1- 7/8.
With the information provided, what numbers am I looking at HP/TRQ wise? is there anything wrong with the items I have acquired?
Any advise as I will soon be building my first BOP, I am trying to get the car running at least since it needs a lot of body work my dad and I will be doing.
Hope to get all your wisdom and input from some really wise Pontiac lovers.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

welcome to PY . glad your dad didn't get hurt !. Lots of great help on this site. quite a few builders who know Pontiacs will chime in i hope.

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a crazy story!

Sounds like a great project but was there any frame damage and do you have any pics?

Sounds like a stout combo but the experts will be here soon. I'm just a computer guy...lol

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
welcome to PY . glad your dad didn't get hurt !. Lots of great help on this site. quite a few builders who know Pontiacs will chime in i hope.
Thank you @indymanjoe
Physically he did not thank God, but mentally, he was depressed and it took him a while to even look at the car again.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
That is a crazy story!

Sounds like a great project but was there any frame damage and do you have any pics?

Sounds like a stout combo but the experts will be here soon. I'm just a computer guy...lol
Yes it is a crazy story!
I will take some pictures today and post them but luckily no frame damage, just a really dented in passenger side door that I am having one heck of a time finding a replacement..

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAICO_BUILDZ View Post
Thank you @indymanjoe
Physically he did not thank God, but mentally, he was depressed and it took him a while to even look at the car again.
Yea i can understand completely. Just cars to some people but to me and many here they are part of the family. My dad has an 84 monte carlo ss he never drives because he is afraid someone will total it out. Completely original car. has the original battery tires etc..I wish he would drive it but i get his point,to a degree.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
Yea i can understand completely. Just cars to some people but to me and many here they are part of the family. My dad has an 84 monte carlo ss he never drives because he is afraid someone will total it out. Completely original car. has the original battery tires etc..I wish he would drive it but i get his point,to a degree.
I agree with you, they are also meant to be enjoyed. It sucks that many are careless people/drivers that do not care about other peoples lives/belongings.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a straight door.
400 is good to build. Some folks will advise a 455 class 4.25" stroke crank and pistons kit from Butler in TN.
13 heads are a bit high compr for the 400 and 455 kit. 5Cs on the 400 and 6X on the 455 or go aluminum.
If so, get a Th400 and sell the th350.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAICO_BUILDZ View Post
Yes it is a crazy story!
I will take some pictures today and post them but luckily no frame damage, just a really dented in passenger side door that I am having one heck of a time finding a replacement..
Thank cripes...I sold two (74) doors last year and the guy prolly still has them sitting around.

Probably too far from you though.

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350