67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 1967 firebird auto carb (7027272) professionally rebuilt. I installed it on my car after the engine warmed up it would not idle
any lower then 1400 rpm's. I check the dwell it's 30 deg. the timing is 6 deg. I can not see any vacume leaks.I adjusted the idle
setting as low as it will go. Ran the mixture screws all the way back in then back them out 1 1/2 turns. I put the metal gasket closest
to the maniflold then the paper gasket then the carb. Iam not sure what to do next?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

1967 Firebird 400 convertible 4 speed #'s matching
2002 SOM Trans Am WS6 Convertible 6 speed bone stock
1970 GTO convertible auto #'s matching
Old 04-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 1967 firebird auto carb (7027272) professionally rebuilt. I installed it on my car after the engine warmed up it would not idle
any lower then 1400 rpm's. I check the dwell it's 30 deg. the timing is 6 deg. I can not see any vacume leaks.I adjusted the idle
setting as low as it will go. Ran the mixture screws all the way back in then back them out 1 1/2 turns. I put the metal gasket closest
to the maniflold then the paper gasket then the carb. Iam not sure what to do next?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it that the engine will not run lower than 1400 or that the carburetor can not be adjusted to lower the idle? Did this unit replace another unit, and if so, will the other unit idle? Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

High Jon the carb will not go lower then 1400. It is the orig. carb on the car. with the 400 engine.

Old 04-06-2002, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check to make sure that the fast idle cam is not holding the throttle blades open if so equipped.

Something definitely isn't right with that!

Old 04-08-2002, 01:26 AM

just a thought on the idle problem,I once had a rebuilt carb come back with the throttle plates in backwards and had a very simular result.This is easy to check,remove the air cleanerand back off the idle screw and the high idle if equiped and hold open the choke, now let the throttle close and shine a light in the carband look if the throttle plates have any space left to fully close the air passage,If they do try to loosen but not remove the plateswith a straight screw driver (if you can see the screws)and when there loose close the carb several times to see if they seal up better,if they do tighten them up and try to adjust it again if they don't then you may have to remove the carb and flip them around in there slots till the plate seals nice. This whole job is easier if the carb is off,then you can see if it is closing or not from the bottom and adjust as needed. Good luck Firebird_400_68@yahoo.com

Old 04-08-2002, 01:30 AM

ps. if you loosen the screws with the carb on the engine don't loosen much or you could drop a screw into the engine and the engine shouldn't be running while doing this.(you just never know someone might try it while running)It is the best to do this with the carb off the engine.thanks

Old 04-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the engine off, work all the various circuits on the carburetor. Use a flashlight down the throat, and ascertain that the primary throttle plates will close. If not determine why (possibly curb idle screw). Also, the 1967 has a different fast idle setup than the later Q-Jets. Make sure it works freely, and releases the throttle when the choke is in the vertical position (fully open). Open the secondary shaft manually and release. It should snap shut with an audible sound. If everything is working freely, start the engine, and warm it to normal temperature. Now blip the throttle. If the idle does not come down, check the fast idle linkage to make sure it has released. If the fast idle linkage has released, start looking for a vacuum leak. Let us know what you find. Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One other thought, if you are using this combination on any but the original cast iron 1967 Pontiac manifold, it won't work. Jon.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem after having my 67 GTO carb restored, the primary butterflies were not closing all the way, the butterflies were slightly misaligned. Loosened the screws, and tightened with the plates held closed, idle came down. My carb was restored through PY, was yours? Definitely check all the linkage for binding first.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com