THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ECO BOOST issue???

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...-engine-issue/

I know a few of you have this truck. Any issues??

Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

You know, I did see that on a news crawler yesterday...and it was reported out of 400,000 vehicles built to date 100 were reported to have power problems?

Would Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. have made same headlines with 100 reported vehicle issues out of 400,000? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
You know, I did see that on a news crawler yesterday...and it was reported out of 400,000 vehicles built to date 100 were reported to have power problems?

Would Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. have made same headlines with 100 reported vehicle issues out of 400,000? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Precisely. 95 reports out of 400,000 vehicles. Yep we NEED the government to look at that Curious? If Ford had taken some TARP money would this be in the news?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, and I received my letter from an attorney group two/three weeks ago... fishing for issues.

Biggest dissapointment has been the mpg, but have had other problems.

Its a really nice truck, lots of bells and whistels...fun to drive, but wouldnt buy another and probably sell/trade this one by deer season.

Tell you more as this thread gets cranked...to much to post for now....

Thanks for posting that link.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
Yes, and I received my letter from an attorney group two/three weeks ago... fishing for issues.

Biggest dissapointment has been the mpg, but have had other problems.

Its a really nice truck, lots of bells and whistels...fun to drive, but wouldnt buy another and probably sell/trade this one by deer season.

Tell you more as this thread gets cranked...to much to post for now....

Thanks for posting that link.
Timely...I was just @ Ford dealer looking @ new trucks Thursday and wanted the biggest V8 Gas engine as per our current 5.4 which has been bulletproof...salesman kept attempting to sway me to the Eco-Boost which for my $ is a no sale. Already have a turbo in our daily driver fleet and it is a PITA IMO. Keep It Simple Stephano - KISS is my motto...instead of later "I could've had a V8!" regret.

Not a Ford hater.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the 302V8 when I ordered my F150 in 2011. EcoBoost was new technology at the time, and didn't want to chance it. If I bought today, I would look at the EB engine.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad (Grandville455) will chime in, but I know he HASN'T had any issues with his. I know the E450 U-Haul box truck I drove that had the EcoBoost installed DID NOT have a lack of power. Towed a box full of antique furniture AND my Silverado back from Mt. Dora,FL(about 160 miles from here)on less than 3/8 a tank of fuel. The surprising thing is I was doing 85mph on the on ramp and DIDN'T know it.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Ecoboost vehicle (FLEX) has been a star. Setting cruise on highway to work (32 miles) at 67 nets me approx 27 MPG. Strong. Quiet. Power EVERYWHERE. Plenty of room in the factory engine tune for more power/mpg. Effortless turbo power at any rpm, passing requires only to flex one's toe inside the shoe. Ford has had overwhelming success with this 3.5L engine and it bucks conventional thinking; hence, people put it down. A few isolated cases where claims of low power exist? This is 0.02% of the production, if claims are accurate. (0.0002375). Let's whip up on the new engine because of a few claims. Goodness people.

My 5000 lb flex is faster 0-60 than 5.7 hemi challengers, Subaru WRX STI, 2011 Camaro, etc. LOVE the car/engine. No complaints.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)

Last edited by 68gtoMN; 05-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
My Ecoboost vehicle (FLEX) has been a star. Setting cruise on highway to work (32 miles) at 67 nets me approx 27 MPG. Strong. Quiet. Power EVERYWHERE. Plenty of room in the factory engine tune for more power/mpg. Effortless turbo power at any rpm, passing requires only to flex one's toe inside the shoe. Ford has had overwhelming success with this 3.5L engine and it bucks conventional thinking; hence, people put it down. A few isolated cases where claims of low power exist? This is 0.02% of the production, if claims are accurate. (0.0002375). Let's whip up on the new engine because of a few claims. Goodness people.

My 5000 lb flex is faster 0-60 than 5.7 hemi challengers, Subaru WRX STI, 2011 Camaro, etc. LOVE the car/engine. No complaints.
Good for you!

So we will include you in the 399,900 Ecoboost no problem column vs the 100 reported.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 2012 5.0 in a super crew with a 6.5 foot bed. In 12,000 miles it has averaged 18.6 mpg. I saw and still see no reason for the complexity of the ecoboost. If I drove 67 mph on flat ground constantly I'd see 23+mpg. On long trips at 75 mph (generally hauling 1000 lbs) I get nearly 21. In a full sized truck, given the added buy in cost and only slight, if any fuel mileage and real world power gains, I don't see the EC as being worth it. 150,000 miles down the road I'm betting the 5.0 will cost much less to own.

Plus, the 5.0 sounds like a V8.....because it is....

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-27-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have whiners in every crowd and OF COURSE the "vultures"(trial lawyers) are just waiting to pounce. Here's an idea....let's close ALL the law schools for 5 yrs. That should reduce the glut of ambulance chasers.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the 2013 explorer with this motor. Is it included it the issue? I love mine and have never experienced any issues at all.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
...Here's an idea....let's close ALL the law schools for 5 yrs. That should reduce the glut of ambulance chasers.
Better yet, raise the "bar" significantly - so the number of graduates thins out. And if you are bright but low income, Uncle Sam can pay for law school if you qualify - then you work as a PD or other public counsel for 4 years to pay us back.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Precisely. 95 reports out of 400,000 vehicles. Yep we NEED the government to look at that Curious? If Ford had taken some TARP money would this be in the news?
I believe i read somewhere that ford got $700 million before gm or chrysler got a penny. It was an add on to some other bill in congress so didn't get much press. Read about it on a gm truck forum. Wouldn't trade my silverado for any ford truck.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Suspended

Wink Not exactly per that "GM truck forum read about it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
I believe i read somewhere that ford got $700 million before gm or chrysler got a penny. It was an add on to some other bill in congress so didn't get much press. Read about it on a gm truck forum. Wouldn't trade my silverado for any ford truck.
Bonjour!

http://useconomy.about.com/od/critic...to_bailout.htm

Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblguy View Post
You win the internet

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can someone say "urban legend"?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM

I picked up a new crew cab XLT 4X4 last Saturday. Have been heavily researching this for 2 weeks now and it appears most issues have been resolved but the intercooler MAY still be a problem for some according to their climate and driving habits. Longevity is still in question even with the new 5.0 motor but I chose it over the EB to be a better gamble long term. If both motors had another couple more years under their belt, the decision most likely would have been different.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockec View Post
I picked up a new crew cab XLT 4X4 last Saturday. Have been heavily researching this for 2 weeks now and it appears most issues have been resolved but the intercooler MAY still be a problem for some according to their climate and driving habits. Longevity is still in question even with the new 5.0 motor but I chose it over the EB to be a better gamble long term. If both motors had another couple more years under their belt, the decision most likely would have been different.
I have that 2012 Ford F-150 Ext cab 4x4 company truck and as much as i love "old" GM, this is a dang nice truck and extremely quick with the 302. Top end is a little noisy after a long run but doesn't seem to affect performance and it gets good fuel mileage

Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM

I've been a GM man myself and always had good luck out of the Chevy trucks. The truck I traded was a 2002 F350 dually which was the best one of all!! Hopefully this one will be as good as the last especially since I don't really do much towing anymore. It sure drives good but as of today I only have 50 miles on it so far so time will tell.