THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Of course these trucks are designed to make it a very tough decision for you. In the numerous tests I have read, they are neck and neck. I can say with some experience that the eco-boost V-6 should not be a consideration if mileage is the goal. They don't even come close to their rated mileage and the EPA is looking into de-rating the mileage on the entire eco-boost line. The 5.3 and 6.0 liter GM engines are simple and very proven. Also the GM trucks are much easier to service under the hood than the Fords. Ask anyone who has changed plugs in a 5.4 Ford what a joy that is. Fords do have nice interiors and the little things like window regulators, accessories, and switches don't fall apart like cheap Chinese toys like the GM stuff. Since I likely have been no help, you have a tough but fun decision to make!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just picked up my '14 F150 this week. It's a regular cab, short box, 2WD with the 5.0.

I know engine technology isn't a why buy for most truck owners (just how much torque it has), but I love the idea of this thing having an all aluminum, DOHC, 32V V8 with VCT. What a sweet motor...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My local garage changes more Ford truck engines than Dodge rears...That's saying something...

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Vrabec For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Of course these trucks are designed to make it a very tough decision for you. In the numerous tests I have read, they are neck and neck. I can say with some experience that the eco-boost V-6 should not be a consideration if mileage is the goal. They don't even come close to their rated mileage and the EPA is looking into de-rating the mileage on the entire eco-boost line. !
In Car and Driver they tested the 5.3 Chebby, Hemi Ram and the Ecoboost and they all scored the same exact fuel economy. The Ford was roughly .5 ahead of the Chebby and the Ram in the 1/4 mile. Same fuel economy with a lot more balls -

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post

I would stay away from the Eco Boost.
Why ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ecoboost is a $1000 waste of money. In many cases guys running it are soundly disappointed in their mileage.
And more importantly.......the 5.0 sounds better.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in 2007 I was looking at the same decision - which 1/2 ton pickup to buy so I could semi-retire my 1 ton. 6 years later I have 140,000 trouble free miles on my 07 Tacoma. It cost less, got better mileage, had NO maintenance required, and is probably worth more than a comparably equipped/mileage Ford or Chevy.

I've towed with it, gone on vacation, picked up engines & car parts with it - done it all. With my son in college and my daughter going in a year & a half I look to have it for another 5 years and another 100k miles.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK..... drove the Ford tonight.... I love the truck

Told the salesperson and one of the sales managers I have been in the auto business for 25+ years..... please treat me as such and I will make this simple....

Well the General Sales Manager didnt seem to get it..... and came back with stupid numbers and said there are NO rebates if I dont finance with Ford....

Well, the Ford website says otherwise, and I called another dealer, and he also said there were rebates, but what he said didnt agree with the Ford website....

Does anyone here work for Ford or Ford dealer that is willing to look up what incentives would apply to me here in NJ on a Retail Purchase on a 2013 Ford STX Supercab 4x4 with a 5.0L?

Thank you

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
nah..... I am in the auto business myself for 25+ years, so wherever I walk in, and I get to talking to the Sales Manager..... I get treated like employee regardless

So how does it feel being treated like an employee? People seem to think working at a dealership gets you deals. Been there, done that.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
[/B]

So how does it feel being treated like an employee? Been there, done that.
Yeah..... Well, they also didnt sell a truck..... jerks

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Don't just look in NJ come here to MI dealers will bend over backwards for you, on a better way to buy a new ford is to look up what businesses have a fleet discount such as Steelcase or the Teamsters, this could be you your wife child a friend and call around to a salesman that knows of someone that has the code number that's all you need for a discount is the persons name and the code then the discount comes directly from ford and the dealer can do no better its a Ford factory deal, I just purchased 2 this way, I just came back from vacation all around New England and I bet trucks are at a premium with all the mountains and winding roads. Google Ford x plan or z plan good luck.

Gregg

Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Troy

With your experience at Ford dealerships - I wouldn't buy anything from them.

One thing you didn't mention on your list of pros and cons...

Warranty - The GMC has a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain. Ford only gives you 60,000 miles.

Based on Keith V's post above (#23) - that would concern me.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I already sent the Sales Manager that talked to me for quite awhile and email, we were going over people we both knew in the business..... that is usually a good sign, I am going to get treated like I expected. Unfortunately, it was his boss in the "glass tower" that worked the numbers.... and blew the deal for them.

I went home and worked the numbers myself ( like I said, I am a previous F&I manager), and they were a good $50/mo high.

I then called the Ford dealer 10mi further down the road, and I think I can work a deal and be treated like I am in the business there, he of course was not surprised at my experience at the first dealer...

As far as the warranty.... I am not concerned. There are good and bad vehicle in both brands..... it can be luck at times, but I try to never let it make my whole decision.

Here is a question I have to guys that tow.....

GM says their truck needs 3.42 gears to tow 9000+ lbs

The Ford will do a little less then 7000lbs with 3.55's and rate the 3.73's at 9000+ lbs

Is GM exaggerating their towing cabability or will the Ford tow fine with the 3.55's and the 3.73 not needed for the heavier weight?

Reason I ask..... if I can do the 3.55's in the Ford, there is a lot more available inventory around to look at.....

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Bought my F150 4x4 5.0 6 months ago and really liking it. The 5.0 is stout and I would suspect it to pull what you need with the 3.55's but you may want to do further research. My local dealer is giving 13K off MSRP and has been for a while. You can Google Akins Ford if you need some comparison and maybe something for the dealer to match. This is for trucks with the chrome package which may not help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to lockec For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have 2 Silverados at home with the factory heavy duty towing package and both have 3.42 rear ends and both have towed over 8,000 lbs many times with no issues at all and still delivered 16 mpg on the hi way while towing and using the tow haul mode.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2002Z4CSS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Z4CSS View Post
We have 2 Silverados at home with the factory heavy duty towing package and both have 3.42 rear ends and both have towed over 8,000 lbs many times with no issues at all and still delivered 16 mpg on the hi way while towing and using the tow haul mode.
No doubt.... Just curious why Ford feels that the 3.55's wont....

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 11-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The Ford will do a little less then 7000lbs with 3.55's and rate the 3.73's at 9000+ lbs

Is GM exaggerating their towing cabability or will the Ford tow fine with the 3.55's and the 3.73 not needed for the heavier weight?

Reason I ask..... if I can do the 3.55's in the Ford, there is a lot more available inventory around to look at.....
It might be the transmission that is the weak link - and that could be why Ford recommends the 3.73's for the heavier loads. I would stick with the factory recommendations - especially with 40,000 miles less drivetrain warranty.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I already sent the Sales Manager that talked to me for quite awhile and email, we were going over people we both knew in the business..... that is usually a good sign, I am going to get treated like I expected. Unfortunately, it was his boss in the "glass tower" that worked the numbers.... and blew the deal for them.

I went home and worked the numbers myself ( like I said, I am a previous F&I manager), and they were a good $50/mo high.

I then called the Ford dealer 10mi further down the road, and I think I can work a deal and be treated like I am in the business there, he of course was not surprised at my experience at the first dealer...

As far as the warranty.... I am not concerned. There are good and bad vehicle in both brands..... it can be luck at times, but I try to never let it make my whole decision.

If you're going to be doing a lot of towing and working a truck hard the Ford is the one to get. But after your experience if you do by a Ford I would go to a different dealer.

I've had numerous trucks over the years that I have worked relentlessly and Fords have always had more study frames and were much more stout. The GM frames were just not up to the task ; we actually broke a one ton frame on a newer one.

I like the looks of the new GM's and I'm sure they're well made, but it depends on what you'll use it for a majority of the time.

But as one engineer pointed out -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Brad, We were breaking a lot of Chebby truck frames on our 'Cobble stone' durability circuit on the Dearborn, Michigan Brand X (F*rd) Test Track (competitive vehicle testing).
Mileage was typically 15,000 miles on the frame.

We would call up the "Generous" Motors guys and they would have a truck there the next day with a new frame for the truck. PIA to swap that thing out but the test required 100,000 miles. We would go through several frame swaps with those trucks.

Tom Vaught

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
It might be the transmission that is the weak link - and that could be why Ford recommends the 3.73's for the heavier loads. I would stick with the factory recommendations - especially with 40,000 miles less drivetrain warranty.
hmmmm - wouldn't that also depend on the first gear multiplication.....could the GM's be a little lower ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
I've had numerous trucks over the years that I have worked relentlessly and Fords have always had more study frames and were much more stout. The GM frames were just not up to the task ; we actually broke a one ton frame on a newer one.
The Ford might have had a better frame at one point. But that hasn't been the case for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sPEvxpLoU

Frame content starts at about 2:35.

As to first gear in the two trucks - the Ford has a 3.97 first gear, the GM has a 4.03 - or a .06 difference.

That doesn't correlate to the need for 3.73's vs 3.42's - or a difference of .29.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The Ford might have had a better frame at one point. But that hasn't been the case for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sPEvxpLoU

Frame content starts at about 2:35.

As to first gear in the two trucks - the Ford has a 3.97 first gear, the GM has a 4.03 - or a .06 difference.

That doesn't correlate to the need for 3.73's vs 3.42's - or a difference of .29.
Gears : uh-huh the difference there : squat.

As far as the frame goes: the only thing that video shows is Ford has more elasticity. Doesn't seem the maker of the video understands metallurgy; buildings and bridges have the same thing - too much rigidity and it snaps ! That Ford did exactly what HD dump trucks do.
You certainly want flex on nasty terrain with a load; that's how that Chevy frame I mentioned probably snapped !

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well..... I have already at least 2 dealers willing to do an invoice deal less rebates...... and still more calling me back....

I will get this done....

HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN