Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default My post off topic

This post is definitely off topic so I might get one demerit;

Summary of Federal Law
There is no federal waiting period. Under the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), a dealer may transfer a firearm to a prospective purchaser as soon as he or she passes a background check.11 If the FBI is unable to complete a background check within three business days, the dealer may complete the transfer by default.12
Federal law does not require private sellers to perform background checks on gun purchasers. Accordingly, persons purchasing firearms from private sellers may take immediate possession of their weapons, unless state or local law provides otherwise.13
SUMMARY OF STATE LAWS GOVERNING WAITING PERIODS
(This summary was last updated June 24, 2013.)
Ten states and the District of Columbia have waiting periods that apply to the purchase of some or all firearms.14
Additional states require firearm purchasers to obtain a license or permit prior to the purchase of a firearm. Licensing laws of this kind play a similar role to waiting period laws. See the Licensing of Gun Owners and Purchasers policy summary for information about licensing laws.
States Imposing Waiting Periods for Purchases of All Firearms
State (Waiting Period)
California (10 days)15
District of Columbia (10 days)16
Hawaii (14 days)17
Illinois (24 hours) (long guns); 72 hours (handguns)18
Rhode Island (7 days)19

Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Diesel engine dying with 130k miles??Always hated GM's diesel program.If I am not mistaken, that engine was not a diesel per see, but a sleeved gas engine converted to a diesel.A friend had a full size Jimmy or whatever their Bronco look a like was, and he went thru 2 engines before the warranty ran out. POS..Put a real diesel engineered engine in that truck.. Replace with either a Cummings or new Ford 6.7l diesel. lol..

And as far as a national wait for gun purchases, there is no wait for gun purchases in the US Steve.. sort of lost me why that would even be used as a comparison in a Pontiac thread? a little political slip of the tounge? May as well have compared to the wait to get a Butterball Turkey, same duration.. of wait.. there is a shortage of Butterballs this year. Butterball's would have been a valid comparison. Also, did you really think AAA was going to take your $59 or whatever it is and instantly provide a $300-$400 tow?? By instantly I mean within an hour of renewing?? Sorry Steve..but that is the funniest and at the same time most bothersome part of your story to me..even when we can, we should resist getting something for nothing. This "something for nothing, someone else will pay" mentality is a virus that is eating our country alive.. change must start with each one of us individually.. there is more than enough of that going on in modern day America .. sorry but you struck a nerve with me on the gun comment and trying to get AAA to absorb your tow costs.. Obamacare sounds like it will be perfect for you..Wait until you are sick and then sign up, no 6 month wait for preexisting conditions..Obamacare will pay without a 7 day wait. should fit you just fine..
Wow Bill! Don't slip getting down off your soap box! It was a joke!

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
The Following User Says Thank You to superdutybob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

She is home now.

Of course the local NJ AAA started balking at the tow saying that it they only allow one tow per breakdown incident but the PA AAA lady (Mary) who I dealt with last week, was very forceful and worked on my behalf reminding them that they previously stated that the vehicle would be towed the full distance after the waiting period expired.

While I was on hold with the Mary, I drove right down to the local NJ AAA office where my wife signed up and was sitting outside with my headlights pointed inward at the front desk and looking very much like "Heisenberg" of Breaking Bad fame, especially after having not shaved for a week and wearing my black hat. Maybe that convinced them to OK the 30 mile tow home.

Last edited by njsteve; 11-26-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

that truck is in nice shape !! Are the reman engines built better ?

btw, it was a pleasure to have met you Steve.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, Bill, the whole towing insanity was related to my wife neglecting to pay the renewal bill that I kept reminding her about, not really about expecting a brand new customer to get a free long distance tow.

But when I told my Dad about the engine he joked that it would be covered under Obamacare if only I had signed up on the website in time. :-)

Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default Just A Joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutybob View Post
Wow Bill! Don't slip getting down off your soap box! It was a joke!
I can see and thought the same thing when I read the part about buying a gun being easier. But as read further, I thought there was a fraud being committed. To have AAA cover an event that occurred prior to getting your membership renewed and imply that that event occurred after renewal is a fraud. That is except for Obama Care, which is a whole different animal. This is much like Fermin's testimony during OJ Simpsons trial. Once you lie/cheat, your credibility is gone. I wonder what Steve's occupation is. Hmmm…..

I will not fall off my soap box as my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
that truck is in nice shape !! Are the reman engines built better ?

btw, it was a pleasure to have met you Steve.
It was great to meet you and all the other guys that I only know via their secret webnames!

As for the engine...only time will tell. She has been a great truck and that is the original paint still on her - and a one-year only color to boot. So you can see why I would like to get her back on the road.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
BTW, Bill, the whole towing insanity was related to my wife neglecting to pay the renewal bill that I kept reminding her about, not really about expecting a brand new customer to get a free long distance tow.

But when I told my Dad about the engine he joked that it would be covered under Obamacare if only I had signed up on the website in time. :-)
Although I have health insurance thru my work place ( Hawaii State law requires your employer to provide it) I went on the Obamacare web to see what I would pay for the same coverage. 30% more to get close to the same coverage. Not that close enough though. 20% copay vs $5.00 copay now. Same for drugs. All those that wanted Obamacare, start looking for pain meds as this is going to hurt.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
I can see and thought the same thing when I read the part about buying a gun being easier. But as read further, I thought there was a fraud being committed. To have AAA cover an event that occurred prior to getting your membership renewed and imply that that event occurred after renewal is a fraud.
Now we are really off topic...but actually AAA said they had no problem with an initial tow even when you sign up literally on the side of the road after you break down as long as it is within 3 miles. So that is a good thing. They just require a new customer to wait 7 days for a tow farther than 3 miles. They said they get a lot of new customers signing up that way.

As you can tell I had a lot of time on the side of the road to get the exact specifics of the system as I waited for the wife to renew our family membership and then for the computer to register that our existing policy was back on line.

The funny thing was that the PA lady said if the NJ AAA was going be sticklers, then for me to just roll the truck from it's then current location to a new location and try to start the truck. That would trigger a new incident that would make it eligible for a new tow.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it was all rusty then I would question repairing it. But its too nice to send to the crusher.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with others - that truck is too nice to NOT re-engine it. With your skills Steve, I'd do what has been suggested and put in a real diesel engine. You'll have that truck for another 130,000 miles plus some.

BTW, cool pic of the Farmer in the SD!

BJ

Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some photos of the seven 1973 SD455s we had at MCACN. Two T/A's of each color and my white Formula. (We were supposed to have a second SD Formula but the Florentine Red car was a no-show). Amazingly enough, only two of the seven cars were restored. All the rest were originals. I will post some more on the SD mini-thread.

Last edited by njsteve; 11-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only one car was restored.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
Only one car was restored.
Wiseguy!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

lol.....

Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
I agree with others - that truck is too nice to NOT re-engine it. With your skills Steve, I'd do what has been suggested and put in a real diesel engine. You'll have that truck for another 130,000 miles plus some.
BJ
The funny thing is that I was originally trained as a diesel mechanic after I graduated high school.

What's that old saying? "A man's got to know his limitations". And when it comes to the modern stuff, I defer to the experts. I have a call in to a good local diesel mechanic. He js getting some background info together for me. At least they have a sense of humor there. When I said the truck had 121,000 miles, he replied: "Well, they don't usually blow up til they have many more miles on them than that."

Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, and by the way, I can actually say I survived driving on those infamous Firestone 500s. I drove the mile or so to our trailer from the convention center, without so much as a single tire exploding!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 PM

I was all set to go the the show and was looking forward to seeing the cars and meeting njsteve, then life got in the way. Maybe next year. Sorry to hear about the breakdown- I saw you were on some of the 6.5 forums. Some of those guys really seem to know that motor, so between that and your local guy I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I had been looking at Duramax trucks, then my neighbors perfectly maintained truck with only 110k miles needed 5000 dollars worth of injectors and other work. I'm probably going to get a 8.1 gasser. That kind of maintenance will buy a lot of fuel.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaman View Post
Sorry to hear about the breakdown- I saw you were on some of the 6.5 forums. Some of those guys really seem to know that motor, so between that and your local guy I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I had been looking at Duramax trucks, then my neighbors perfectly maintained truck with only 110k miles needed 5000 dollars worth of injectors and other work. I'm probably going to get a 8.1 gasser. That kind of maintenance will buy a lot of fuel.
Yeah, back in the day (1995), it was cost effective when diesel was 25 cents less than regular gas. The added expense of the engine option was usually made up in fuel savings in a year or two. Now it is completely cost-ineffective when diesel is 50 cents more than gas per gallon and the engine package is $8k or more along with a mandatory Allison trans for an extra few thousand. Those early Duramax owners really got hammered by that failing injector fiasco.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast GTO View Post
I can't tell if the Obamacare comment was tongue in cheek but that was obviously a " political slip of the tongue." Here in the weird state of California, there is a TWO week waiting period and, the last time I checked, California with all it's faults is still in the US.

Steve, sorry about the truck but how was your car received at the event? Any more photos?
No that was no slip of the tongue, not at all. And you guys can tell me to get off my soapbox all you want. . That is fine. My points were and still are valid.