THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '92 Roadmaster Opinions; fuel mileage/longevity

I think Mike Nixon & others may have a good handle on this.
My brother is eyeballing a '92 Buick Roadmaster with 124K. He's always lusted after the cushy big car ride with smooth modern V-8 power. He can get this one for under $2 grand but not sure if the fuel mileage would defeat the purpose.
Aren't these halfway decent on the highway with the roller cam & fuel injection?
I'm thinking it would get better than his '96 Chebby half ton with the 4.3 which he used most of the time to commute 10 miles to work.
Also, are there any mid-life maintanance issues with this era 350?

Appreciate any input,
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Occaisional intake gaskets, and a few issues with oil in the distributor. The pre 94 cars are TBI cars. The run forever with some care. Mileage won't be that of an LT1 but should be in the mid to low 20's with no issue on the hwy. That 700r4 should be an updated unit and they weren't a bad trans if the fluid's clean. Brakes are typically 1/2 ton truck units.

There are issues with window regulators so be sure they work properly. For the money I'd buy it.

I LOVE Roadmasters, great driving comfortable cars. Like your couch at 70 mph.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Like your couch at 70 mph.
I would have issues with that!! My couch has a tendancy to put me to sleep!!!!!!!!!!

POCI.org
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome cars. One of my customers has one. 90 year old lady.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dunno but I have 4.3 manual pickup and mileage is no better than 15 on BFG all terrains. I think the Buick will beat that for sure.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are tough to find. For 2K or less, assuming its in decnet shape, Id run with it.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I dunno but I have 4.3 manual pickup and mileage is no better than 15 on BFG all terrains. I think the Buick will beat that for sure.
My 5.7 Tahoe gets 17, 20 highway with the air on.The roadmaster should get at least 25 HWY mpg.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My son has a 1992 Roadmaster. We've put two sets of front rotors and brakes on it since 2008, a fan clutch, starter, idler arm, muffler/tailpipe, and changed the trans fluid & filter.

It's a tough car, especially if my son hasn't killed it yet! His has 191,000 miles on it, and is getting intake gaskets this weekend.

The last time I checked the mileage on it, it was about 27-28 mpg's on a straight/flat highway run from St Louise Mo. to Columbus Ohio.

Average mileage isn't that great, about 15-18.

Pretty tough cars, I'd grab that one right up if it's in good shape.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I think Mike Nixon & others may have a good handle on this.
My brother is eyeballing a '92 Buick Roadmaster with 124K. He's always lusted after the cushy big car ride with smooth modern V-8 power. He can get this one for under $2 grand but not sure if the fuel mileage would defeat the purpose.
Aren't these halfway decent on the highway with the roller cam & fuel injection?
I'm thinking it would get better than his '96 Chebby half ton with the 4.3 which he used most of the time to commute 10 miles to work.
Also, are there any mid-life maintanance issues with this era 350?

Appreciate any input,
Thanks.
You are not far from me, and a friend buys them for demolition duty, and most look perfect but are very very rusty underneath .. get that Lowrider up on a lift first!! I love those roadmasters!!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the replies.

Bruce, my brother lives in SW Michigan. They have salt there also but there are still a number of well preserved cars to go around. I just moved from that area this summer, otherwise I would be looking underneath it with my trusty mirror & flashlight.
I am not knowledgable of any 'secret' areas (on B-bodies) to check for rust though. Like with my 87-91 LeSabres it's in the inner front wheel well aprons & the cowl frames underneath the A-pillar.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well around here, I have seen the suspension arms rotting off, the auto lift system hanging in the breeze in back... rear bumper mounts way bad...Hope he found a good one!!!
PS, Lightfoot, you brought your Snowblower with you, right??

Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesnt UGLY fit in here someplace

Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Equal money for the Lincoln Towncar. high teens in stop&go, with 22-25MPG Highway.
Some maintenance warts because "They all fail the same way":
needs fresh rear airspring bags,
Lower Left Balljoint goes dry & needs replaced (should be Recall item)
Front swaybar endlink joints also go dry & need replaced.
Passenger Frame joint gets rot from AC drip path: scrub&paint for protection.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a friend with the station wagon version. Mid-90's if I remember. White with woodgrain. Amazing that something that should have it's own zip code could run so well and return the mileage he says it does.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I have one and like it

Not bad for highway miles. We've kept it running because there are no real complaints. All of the back window switches have lousy fastening, even the ones I find at the JYard to use as replacements.

At 70 mph you're turning 1500 rpm's. Just checked this week as we were bringing home a used transmission, in the trunk, for a 1992 Accord.

Greg

Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I've got a friend with the station wagon version. Mid-90's if I remember. White with woodgrain. Amazing that something that should have it's own zip code could run so well and return the mileage he says it does.
Those have a vista option with 2 sun roofs!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RE: "secret areas" are the frame and floorboards, generally. However, if you're in negotiations and want a quick-glance overview, open the hood and look under the master cylinder/steering at the top of the frame. There's a raceway of brake lines that are usually rotting away. Be happy if not. They are a major hassle to replace because of the bubble-flare fittings. The first place in the frame to go is right inside the rear wheels--you can check that out while having a close look at the tire tread. I have seen excellent bodies with the frame under the radiator (where the idler arm bolts on) totally gone. Obviously have a look at the rockers and under the doors, but those are not usually a problem until the other stuff is long gone.

I agree with the others that the mileage is more than good for such a big, nice car. The '92s have a full gauge package, too, whereas the '94-'96s (better LT-1 engine) do not.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Luv 'em.......

I'm on my third RM now. Great cars, comfortable, peppy, and good MPG. I installed Police/Taxi shocks on all of them to great rid of the luxo floaty ride.

The first was a gold/tan '93 sedan w/ the TBI. I got 22-23 mpg with it. Dad bought it from me and got 25-26 with it

My second was a gold/tan '93 woody wagon. Again a TBI. Got about 20 mpg on it.
Both '93's had full instrumentation including tach

My third, and current RM, is a '94 woody wagon (again gold/tan) and has the LT-1 MPI. I get 18-20 on it due to my driving habits the 94's and up no longer had the full instrumentation, but does have built in Trouble Code Reader in the A/C control. Really nice since there is no OBD1 or 2 connector.

All three of my RM's I equipped to pull my car trailer. The sedan I had to add a trans cooler to. Both wagons had the TT pkg already. And all three did/do the job fine. I love the wagons because they are so versatile. Can have full 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back and close the tail gate! Haul 8 people. Original SUV!

DanC

1930 Ford Model A Coupe .. (original)
1994 Buick .."TowMaster" ...woody wagon
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have my dad's '93 Roadmaster wagon that he bought new. Replaced the original engine with a factory rebuilt Jasper 350 at 130k miles. Now has 194K miles.

Ideal tow vehicle rated at 5,000 lb. Gets 23-25 mpg non-towing, 15-16 mpg towing my 21' Bayliner boat or enclosed snowmobile trailer.

If GM built a rear wheel drive wagon like this today, I'd buy one today!! In fact, I've been watching ebay and Craigslist for a low-mileage '94 or newer one. Even the '93, with the TBI 350 has plenty of power and comfortably cruises at any speed you want.

Many call these cars ugly, but the design grows on you after you drive one. I'm sure some of you, like I, have wondered why Pontiac didn't get to put their nameplate on this wagon from '91-'96 like Olds, Chev, and Buick did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buick Roadmaster Ready to Go 647.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	265570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buick Roadmaster Ready to Go 121.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	265571  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad had a '92, no issues at all other than an axle seal at 90k. I loved that car (got totalled), so I bought one of my own to tinker with. I was the only 20 year old guy driving one of these, but I did some performance work to it, and it ran 13.20's!! Granted it was a '96 with the LT1, but it turned quite afew heads at the track and on the stree, considering the engine was bone stock (mods were driveline and exhaust). As far as durability and comfort, these cars cannot be beat. Proof of the madness...