The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default tight floor pans

http://www.1969supersport.com/floorpn.html

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 04-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Chief

I added some pictures to this thread, its about floor supports on a rotisserie, and a link to a discussion, in case anybodys interested.

Rob

http://www.1969supersport.com/floorpn.html

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

Just added four more pictures to this, trying to take it through the whole process I guess, nobodys saying anything.

Rob

Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First time I've seen the postings. Great photos and documentation of the work.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Greg

Rob

Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked through the site a bit; that's quite a project!

Do you have an "about me" page, or something like that? I'd like to read more background on it.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 AM

Great job you're doing. Did the car need inner rockers as well? I couldn't tell if they were original or not. Craig

Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Craig, no the inners are really nice, because there galvanized, thats why there so good. But the supports that were spot welded from the factory had a rust buildup between them and the rocker.

Rob

Old 04-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Chief

Mike, I started getting serious about working on cars in 1980, I always have in one way or another worked on them. I started buying tools back in 1980, and I decided if I even thought I could use a tool, I would buy it.

So I wound up with all the tools to do the mechanical and body part of it. I guess nothing really has to be taken out of my garage, or shop, whatever you want to call it.

Since I retired 3 years ago, all my time is spent in the shop and on here, all car forums learning every thing I can about fixing cars, it interests me, to the tune of about 5000 hours a year on here.

I'm trying to make one of the nicest restored muscle cars, and my intent is to make a half a dozen of these 69 chevelles, but I'm so picky, Its hard to work with anybody at this stage.

Thats why I made jigs for everything, once I get the program down where I'm happy with the quality in it, I'll get a couple of experienced body men and have them help me out.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but my life right now is all about this car, and trying to make It perfect, if I can, but nothings really perfect.

It will be a lot better then General motors built when it was new, but if you put it on a lift and looked it over, nothing is out of sorts, a new gm technician right out of school could repair this car with just a gm manual, no surprises.

We have better motors, transmissions, radiators , tires, just about everything for a car today has improved, so I will be putting the newer nicer stuff in it, but nothing elaborate, still a big block 4 speed with a 4 barrel carburetor.

I have to sell it, because I will have to much money in it, but, I will be able to give warranties for most of it, like the motor and transmission and what ever else I can get papers with that can be transfered to a new owner.

I will attempt to sell it, and let the owner pick what factory original interior he wants and the color of that and the body color.

So far my plan is on course, and I have perfect health, so with a little luck I'll get it done.

Long winded here, sorry about that, hope I answered your question, and thank you for asking and visiting my little home made webb site.

You be carefully, and have a good one.

Rob

Last edited by rub; 04-19-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

rub, I'm curious as to why a seemingly die hard Chevelle fan is hanging out in a Pontiac forum?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not a die hard chevrolet man, I'm here to learn from you guys, anything to do with body and paint work, mainly body work, i will read it, and i have learned a lot right here from you guys.

I did the chevelle because they made a lot of 69's, but my all time favorites, are gto's, full size pontiac 2 + 2, 62 through 65 mopars, but I like them all.

Boss mustangs, Camaros, doesn't matter, but a full size 2+2 pontiac, white with big black bucket seats, it doesn't get much better then that, four speed and a 421.

But, a 69 chevelle SS thats done right with some not to conspicuous 427 badges wouldn't be to bad either.

Anyway, just an old guy still workin on these cars. Not much money, but lots of dreams.

Rob

Last edited by rub; 04-19-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a cool story. I think making a car like that would be a fun project to be involved in. I sometimes plan builds like that out in my head when I'm sitting here with nothing to do. (For some reason, my plans never include floor plan replacement..... must be something to do with Arizona sheetmetal!)

Thanks for the background; I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Senior Chief

Your welcome Mike, I would think you would want to take it easy when you're not in Iraq, a little less stress at home.

Rob

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Chief

Default Thanks rub

I have been watching your progress for a while now. I frequent Team Chevelle everyday just to see what guys like you have been doing to your Chevelles. Since the Chevelle is an A body and there are more people working on them than GTOs, there is a lot to learn and it all applies to my Pontiac.
My friends always tease me about being a perfectionist. At least I have them thinking I am. When I saw your sight and your methods I knew you were the same way. I am sure your car will be great. I can't believe you would sell it though. Not me.
Anyway thanks for putting together such a great site full of useful info.
Paul

Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 PM

Hey Rob, great site you've built. Lots of info! Looking forward to seeing the finished car!
Thanks,
jp

Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Paul, I really enjoy this restoration, and I have a good wife, I call her the bride.

She understands computers, and set my web site up for me, I didn't really want it, she talked me into it. Now I'm glad I've got it.

It saves a lot of searching for postings that some one may have asked a question. I take the pictures, hand her the camera, she resizes them, I tell her what I would like to say, and bingo.

She gets the ears back on occasion, if shes doing something, to do the pictures up, but it all works out.

The reason for selling it is I need to recover the money, We have four children 38, 40, 41 and 42 years old. And once they were raised, we never had her get a job, I figured after four children, I'll let her kick back, probably if she would have worked during our married life, or the last 20 years I would be in fat city, but I'm hangin in there.

With her at home I was able to build these garages and learn about the cars, so thats a good thing to.

It takes a little bit of money to keep up a complete body and mechanical shop, so I can build and sell them, or get the rocking chair out. I just need to step up the building process, get some cash comin in.

I'm 65 and a tough old goat, but I could run out of steam tonight, never know, sorry for being long winded, you have a good one.

Oh, one last thing, it sure takes us perfectionists a while to get any thing done

Rob

Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks JP

Rob

Old 04-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't have to be a perfectionist to take a long time to do anything. I'm living proof that it can sometimes take just as long to do something wrong as it does to do it right.
I've got you bookmarked along with a couple of other personal sites that I think are above average as regards the restoration hobby.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rob its one thing to do that much work to a car as its a ton as we know..

But I greatly appreciate the time and work it takes to make a really good documented web site like that that someone like me can look at and gain very valuable information from..
Thanks to you and your Wife for doing this!!

Eric

Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks greg.

Rob