THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
They ALL break Genius..

Nissans are among the worst of the Japanese makes. Only Suzuki and Mitsubishi are worse. Although I hate them, I would take a Toyota over any other Japanese make, even though they are the most overrated marque out there.
I suppose you have facts to back that up?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Nice fall preview morning here.

Roll Tide!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Lot of guys taking the troll’s bait here...

Don
Yes but we have all now learned how dumb people are to have paid upwards of $100,000 for a 67 GTO when they could have bought a $20,000 Nissan Altima. Not to mention this knowledge transfer comes at no cost! Amazing stuff!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I have owned at least 10 Nissans . Never ever had a problem with any of them some I ran almost 300,000 miles before I sold them.
If you’re talking an old one I’m not surprised.
I did a girlfriends head gasket back in the 90s on her 1984 Sentra and running an ID mic down the cylinder I found the bores barely had any wear with 200,000 miles.
The new ones are having many issues as they’re using Renault based parts and designs. Renault has always been legendary for junk; sone might remember how bad those Renault Alliances were in the 80s that AMC sold.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Don
X2 spot on.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Just now on Jay Leno's Garage. It wasn't even close.
When I lived in Colorado Springs around 2003-2004 a Supra completely annihilated my GTO off a light. Fast in the day, not so much in modern times.
The cool factor of muscle cars still rules.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the years I've owned several Nissan Maximas. In my experience they were great cars with no significant issues. Would any of them been able to outrun my 67 Gto's.? Don't think so. They were close, but likely low 15 second cars, perhaps upper 14's at best. My 335 horse, automatic 67 could run 14.7 +/- a tenth or so. My ram air 67 originally ran very low 14's and with a good tune and minor mods in the 13's.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your car suckz ... my car rulez !!!

That pretty much sums up all internet debates on automobile quality.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Senior Chief

I’m not sure if this is relevant , but I recently helped my nephew out with some advice on a 78 Z28 he went crazy over . He’s 20 , is sort of a car guy - but the newer Japanese & euro stuff . I doubt he had ever seen a carb before . Some how he comes across this Z and he’s totally hooked ! He wanted it for a daily driver . It ran well , was the typical “ 4 bolt main .030 over 350 “ performer intake , Holley 650 , headers , 70’s smog heads , a little lope , the chrome air cleaner and a higher stall lol . He took it for a spin and the bug bit him . He couldn’t get over what a completely different feel this thing had and the sound of the 4bbl etc . He had never driven anything that put out decent low end torque .I was happy for him except the car was pretty roached out underneath and it took me 2 days to talk him out of it ! The hillbilly was asking 9k ! So he bought a sensible Mazda for daily duty , That gets way better mpg than the Z and probably quicker - but the cool factor is just that and the seed is planted . He’s saving coin for the right ride in the future , and he’s learning a whole new language . A couple of days go by and he calls back and asks “ well what the heck is that thing your working on “ lol I sent him a subscription to MCR.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
I’m not sure if this is relevant , but I recently helped my nephew out with some advice on a 78 Z28 he went crazy over . He’s 20 , is sort of a car guy - but the newer Japanese & euro stuff . I doubt he had ever seen a carb before . Some how he comes across this Z and he’s totally hooked ! He wanted it for a daily driver . It ran well , was the typical “ 4 bolt main .030 over 350 “ performer intake , Holley 650 , headers , 70’s smog heads , a little lope , the chrome air cleaner and a higher stall lol . He took it for a spin and the bug bit him . He couldn’t get over what a completely different feel this thing had and the sound of the 4bbl etc . He had never driven anything that put out decent low end torque .I was happy for him except the car was pretty roached out underneath and it took me 2 days to talk him out of it ! The hillbilly was asking 9k ! So he bought a sensible Mazda for daily duty , That gets way better mpg than the Z and probably quicker - but the cool factor is just that and the seed is planted . He’s saving coin for the right ride in the future , and he’s learning a whole new language . A couple of days go by and he calls back and asks “ well what the heck is that thing your working on “ lol I sent him a subscription to MCR.
Cool! I have 3 sons between 18 and 25. They have no interest in newer cars., just anything 80’s and older. My 11 year old son already wants a Jeep. I guess that’s better than a “tuner” type car.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to those that seem to know on the biggest F-150 forum, a 2.7 EcoBoost with a 93 octane “tune” and 3:73 gears will get you mid 13’s @ over 100 quarter mile.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't see the episode but I've seen enough jay leno's garage episodes to have the opinion that Pontiacs are not some of his favorites.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
I didn't see the episode but I've seen enough jay leno's garage episodes to have the opinion that Pontiacs are not some of his favorites.
I think it's more of a case that his tastes are so varied that he just hasn't gotten around to covering them much in his videos or on his TV show. He did recently buy a Firebird with a sprint 6 that he's going to fully restore.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't seem to find any performance data on the newer Altimas other than a 7.8 second 0-60 time for the base 4-cylinder rated at 179 HP.

The V6 makes 270 HP and can't find any performance data on it, which is kinda weird. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn it's a low 14 second or even high 13 second car.

As mentioned above, a lot goes into 1/4 mile times. I didn't see the test so don't know the parameters, but an ill-tuned GTO on skinny tires getting stomped by a new car with a CVT and much grippier tires & suspension doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Senior Chief

Look at some of the muscle car drags, some stock GTO's and other cars run 16's and some run low 14's and high 13's. If you know how to super tune and tweak a stock car there is a lot of room for improvement. Todays cars really don't have any manual adjustments that can be done.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:57 AM

Witnessed the Tesla at Hot Rod drag week clicking of 10:50s. Owner gutted it only drivers seat in the interior.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
X3

Trollbait.. haha, thats funny

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 09-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Suspended

Quote:

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
X2 spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
X3

Trollbait.. haha, thats funny
Yet, you are here. Now that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
They ALL break Genius..

Nissans are among the worst of the Japanese makes. Only Suzuki and Mitsubishi are worse. Although I hate them, I would take a Toyota over any other Japanese make, even though they are the most overrated marque out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
I suppose you have facts to back that up?
Of course he doesn't.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw the episode, had it recorded.

They 'raced' in a parking lot, the GTO was spinning its tires probably half way through the run. Then they only went like 300'.

I'd say it was set up to have the Altima win. I think the GTO also had skinny (bias ply?) tires on it like factory look.

I still wouldn't get rid of the Pontiac, more than just quickness to it.
Looking at the Altima I wouldn't take it if given to me.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-24-2019, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Just saw the episode, had it recorded.

They 'raced' in a parking lot, the GTO was spinning its tires probably half way through the run. Then they only went like 300'.

I'd say it was set up to have the Altima win. I think the GTO also had skinny (bias ply?) tires on it like factory look.

I still wouldn't get rid of the Pontiac, more than just quickness to it.
Looking at the Altima I wouldn't take it if given to me.

So Chief posted something he knew was total BS from the start.

Why am I not surprised?

Closed Thread