THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a buddy who is a big BMW guy, but he plays with things like E30s and E36s for track cars. Even as a general American V8 guy I have to admit some of his cars are cool and fun to drive. I wonder if BMW went sideways after that generation.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not a fan of the styling on the Supra, but I don’t mind the Z4. I was looking at a Z4 at the dealer the other day when we went in for an oil change. If it has the same engine as our X4, then it should really fly. I haven’t seen either cars on the road here, which is unusual here in one of North America’s high end car capitals.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

A co-worker from years ago got a used v-12 turbocharged AMG supercar. It was an animal, absolutely breathtaking performance. Hydraulic suspension went bad, the repair estimate for that and some other problems ... over $20,000 - so .... it sits in a barn. He went back to his trusty, rusty Ford Bronco which he still drives.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Someone in our neighborhood has a new Supra- silver (or white) with red mirrors? I don’t get it?
That's a launch edition. Pretty rare car.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You think Mercedes, you think German built quality. There were MB suv's (built for the China market) built at the old GM Hummer plant for a while.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/11/old-...edes-suvs.html

Old 10-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
We’ve had three Mercedes(CLK350, C300 and a C250) along with four VWs(three Passats and one EOS). The CLK350 was the one I liked the best: plenty of power when you needed it and would deliver 32 mpg on the highway as long as you kept your foot off the throttle. Once I found a dealer that had technicians that would listen to me, the reoccurring “check engine” problem was solved. The C300 never had anything but scheduled maintenance. The C250 was a total piece of crap that M-B bought back. The VWs were all dependable to a fault.
All I know is every time my wife wanted something new we’d go talk to him; he said if want something reliable with minimum issues for the long run don’t by a German car.
He had endless nightmares about their issues. I have a newer impala that the company pays for and she’s got a late model Subaru that we might be trading at the end of the year. Both are serving us well but they’re still on the new side.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that Porsche is the exception there. My 2012 911 has been bulletproof. It still feels as tight as when I got it. Of course, it only has about 30,000 miles. But it’s still seven years old. Good thing, I could never afford to trade it for a new one.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
All I know is every time my wife wanted something new we’d go talk to him; he said if want something reliable with minimum issues for the long run don’t by a German car.
He had endless nightmares about their issues. I have a newer impala that the company pays for and she’s got a late model Subaru that we might be trading at the end of the year. Both are serving us well but they’re still on the new side.
We've been done with M-B ever since that abortion of a C250. The engineers in Stuttgart wanted to drill a drain hole in the inlet pipe to let the "moisture" out. My response was HOW can there be any "moisture" in the inlet pipe, since it comes directly off the intercool with a charge air temp of 290 degrees F. Water turns to steam at 212 degrees F. M-B agreed to buy back the car within 30 minutes of my discussion with the M-B engineers. My wife now has her '14 Camaro convertible(summer car) and a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet(winter car). I still have my '03 Silverado(178,000 miles) and my '12 Fusion SEL(113,000 miles). I'm considering replacing the Fusion with either a Subaru Forester, a Challenger R/T or a 4 door Silverado

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We've been done with M-B ever since that abortion of a C250. The engineers in Stuttgart wanted to drill a drain hole in the inlet pipe to let the "moisture" out. My response was HOW can there be any "moisture" in the inlet pipe, since it comes directly off the intercool with a charge air temp of 290 degrees F. Water turns to steam at 212 degrees F. M-B agreed to buy back the car within 30 minutes of my discussion with the M-B engineers. My wife now has her '14 Camaro convertible(summer car) and a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet(winter car). I still have my '03 Silverado(178,000 miles) and my '12 Fusion SEL(113,000 miles). I'm considering replacing the Fusion with either a Subaru Forester, a Challenger R/T or a 4 door Silverado
I know I don’t want to spend any more $ on vehicles as at 47 I’m planning on retirement at 55. Cars these days are simply overpriced, especially pickups.
When my son and I go motocross riding we’ll see rows of decked out late model diesel trucks while I drive a old 7.3 F250 that I bought for cheap. I simply don’t see the point in spending that much on a vehicle just to pull a couple of bikes to the track or occasionally haul or tow something.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We've been done with M-B ever since that abortion of a C250. The engineers in Stuttgart wanted to drill a drain hole in the inlet pipe to let the "moisture" out. My response was HOW can there be any "moisture" in the inlet pipe, since it comes directly off the intercool with a charge air temp of 290 degrees F. Water turns to steam at 212 degrees F. M-B agreed to buy back the car within 30 minutes of my discussion with the M-B engineers.
Moisture can build up in the intercooler. It's not uncommon to see a weep hole drilled to alleviate moisture. Most of the EcoBoost trucks end up with one.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Moisture can build up in the intercooler. It's not uncommon to see a weep hole drilled to alleviate moisture. Most of the EcoBoost trucks end up with one.
M-B did NOT agree. This C250 already had a weep hole drilled in it. It DIID NOT fix the problem of it going to “limp” mode at highway speed....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Most of the EcoBoost trucks end up with one.

Very early 3.5 Ecoboost's had an issue. Long since not needed.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

I like both BMW and Toyota, have own a number of each of them, nothing but a great experience. Toyota's reliability can't be beat by any other manufacturer. I have not kept the BMW's for more than 90,000miles so maybe that's why my experience has been great so far. But I wouldn't keep many brands with that much tech stuff for more than 6-8 yrs anyway.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I drive a 2019 Xi4.2M3V8TPIPHIBETAkappa

Last edited by Sidponcho; 10-04-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:52 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The above negative comments about BMW car durability is in stark contrast to their motorcycles for the last seven decades.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Senior Chief

All this fuss, because a total of seven cars may need to be replaced. I bet there are some other manufacturers that WISH they only had to deal with a seven car recall.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
All this fuss, because a total of seven cars may need to be replaced. I bet there are some other manufacturers that WISH they only had to deal with a seven car recall.
But but but, it's fun to bash BMW.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

BMW does not build in large volumes like most other manufacturers, they are more of a niche brand. Every BMW my brother in law buys is always in need of some repair. I work for GM and we had one recall that only covered one vehicle. The more technology a car has especially when it is first introduced is always going to be a problem until it is perfected. Some cars are packed with so much new technology with all the electronics, it is scary when it starts to have problems. Most of my friends who drive BMW,Mercedes Benz, Land Rover and all of the other "luxury" brands seem to get rid of them before the warranty runs out. They complain about the high cost to service them. They don't mind the high cost to buy them but complain when they cost more than a Chevrolet or Ford to repair.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
BMW does not build in large volumes like most other manufacturers, they are more of a niche brand. Every BMW my brother in law buys is always in need of some repair. I work for GM and we had one recall that only covered one vehicle. The more technology a car has especially when it is first introduced is always going to be a problem until it is perfected. Some cars are packed with so much new technology with all the electronics, it is scary when it starts to have problems. Most of my friends who drive BMW,Mercedes Benz, Land Rover and all of the other "luxury" brands seem to get rid of them before the warranty runs out. They complain about the high cost to service them. They don't mind the high cost to buy them but complain when they cost more than a Chevrolet or Ford to repair.
I've owned two BMW's so far, I buy them from guys like your friends who are dumping them just before or after the warranty runs out. I like to buy very low mileage but about 3-4yrs old. They are a great Value at that point and I can then put the miles on them for relatively cheap. I've had some issues, but not much and certainly not more or more expensive than my other vehicle's(Japanese or North American). I don't recommend trying to ring 200,000miles out of one, but I won't do that with anything but a diesel truck.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

My brother in law told me about the high pressure fuel pump, 1 for each bank of his V-12, $2900 each plus labor. He says there is a class action lawsuit about the pumps which are used on many of BMW's cars over several years. He is always complaining how expensive the dealer is for service.