THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That lift table is fine if you have one at both ends of your trip, that's not always the case though. Here's one of my favorite items I bought on sale from Menard's which can be used at either end of the trip to load and unload up to 800lbs. into the back of my dually.

67 next month, and have abused my body making my living as a mechanic since I graduated from high school/votech in 1970. I need every aid I can find since I didn't understand the, "Work smart, not hard" adage until my back and other parts of my body started not healing like they did when I was younger, too little, too late.

Lift is the next thing I need to get, always had one at my workplace, but never got one for myself at home. At one of my home garages I did have a pit, almost as useful as a lift, but in this part of the country they have a habit of filling with water when the water table rises, too much clay most places.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just looking at this the other day;

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8aAqoCEALw_wcB

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-25-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

That "Human Hoist" creeper is super!
Another aid to keep me going into my eighties (starting next August) is the low padded stool with casters- it gets used for darn near everything I do! It was a must-have a few years ago while screwing 1/2" plywood over my old barn floor (63' x 32').
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barn1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	526017  

Old 12-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice barn Jack...

Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
That lift table is fine if you have one at both ends of your trip, that's not always the case though. Here's one of my favorite items I bought on sale from Menard's which can be used at either end of the trip to load and unload up to 800lbs. into the back of my dually.

67 next month, and have abused my body making my living as a mechanic since I graduated from high school/votech in 1970. I need every aid I can find since I didn't understand the, "Work smart, not hard" adage until my back and other parts of my body started not healing like they did when I was younger, too little, too late.

Lift is the next thing I need to get, always had one at my workplace, but never got one for myself at home. At one of my home garages I did have a pit, almost as useful as a lift, but in this part of the country they have a habit of filling with water when the water table rises, too much clay most places.
I have one of those also but never installed it. What does it use for bracing under the bed?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My pickup swiveling boom/winch HD unit was designed by a proud 'Merican, used in the Oil Patch for 2 years, then removed when the Oil Services company reorganized. The in bed hoist was then given to me as was always moving Pontiac shortblocks & longblocks. Would state its a much more versatile unit, not nearly as obtrusive as the above piece as the upright mast folds over for storage. The long portion of the mast lays across the top of the wheelhouse. Fold the mast up, latch the latch, then pop the near 5ft long boom on it. Small electric winch runs its cable through a pulley at the end of the boom. winch control normally goes in the glovebox, plug it when needed.

For mounting in the right rear corner of my older Cummins 3/4 ton, a heavy steel bracket (nearly a foot long) mounts outboard of the frame rail behind the rear leaf spring mount & on top of it, bolts a long rectangular piece of plate steel across to the drivers side frame rail. That way, the load is transferred across the entire back of the rear frame, not just hanging off the side rail.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want an electric cart for at the swaps. A place to sit, put your parts and your coffee. Maybe do a bigger motor so you can do a burnout. Lol

https://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medic...yABEgKpj_D_BwE

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
I want an electric cart for at the swaps. A place to sit, put your parts and your coffee. Maybe do a bigger motor so you can do a burnout. Lol

https://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medic...yABEgKpj_D_BwE
Golf carts & big 4wheelers are nice, but then @ big swappers you don't get your 5-10 miles a day of exercise That, & someone's always wanting to ride w you, or have you go get something BIG, distracting you from the MISSION.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I have one of those also but never installed it. What does it use for bracing under the bed?
I have a stake body with a wooden floor on my dually, the crane comes with 2 pieces of angle iron that the bolts go through on the bottom side of steel bed. I welded them to the crossmembers under the wood floor on my stake bed.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I forget the brand name, but you can get a similar pickup hoist that folds down into a heavy duty bumper. There are a few public works departments around here who have them on their trucks. They're pretty slick as you don't have to drill any holes in the bed or add reinforcements, they just replace the stock rear bumper.