Old 11-10-2019, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To move things along, I took the car to another friend's shop to have the rest of the fabrication and metal work done (transmission tunnel, firewall, fuel tank access panel, etc.). This way, when Randy takes it after MCACN, he'll have less to do before paint.

I've resisted the temptation to make additional modifications that would make the car more custom. The latest thing I considered was doing away with rear seats so that I could hide electronics back there and raise the floor to make more room for mufflers. The idea has merits but it would probably detract from the vibe I'm going for. As I think I mentioned previously, my vision for this project is a day 2 car assuming all the modern parts I'm installing were available back in 1970. Obviously I've made a ton of changes, but hopefully keeping the finishes close to factory and minimizing bling will be enough.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm having a rendering done of the car, and before it's finalized, I thought I'd ask for input regarding any details in the artwork that are wrong. I'm going to ask the artist to remove the license plate, and the lug nuts should be black. But other than that, it looks pretty close to what I envision. As I mentioned previously, the rocker and window trim are deleted, but otherwise, the body should appear stock. He did a great job with little details (wheels, brakes, seats), but I don't want to miss anything obvious, so I thought I'd check with you all.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice rendering! Are you planning to fully black out the grilles, or leave them as stock, with only the mesh section black and the side shell argent silver?

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Nice rendering! Are you planning to fully black out the grilles, or leave them as stock, with only the mesh section black and the side shell argent silver?
Thanks Keith. I’m keeping the grills stock, so I’ll get that changed.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, Jeff. That looks super sharp! I really like the rendering and can't wait to see the finished product.

Also wondering, are you planning on putting the Formula 400 emblems back on as well? Or maybe a subtle change to Formula 535? I'm not sure how exacting you want to be with the current configuration or the original? Either way, super cool!

One of these days I need to drop by again so we can talk shop.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 12-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Wow, Jeff. That looks super sharp! I really like the rendering and can't wait to see the finished product.

Also wondering, are you planning on putting the Formula 400 emblems back on as well? Or maybe a subtle change to Formula 535? I'm not sure how exacting you want to be with the current configuration or the original? Either way, super cool!

One of these days I need to drop by again so we can talk shop.
Thanks Todd! I thought about custom “Formula 535” badges but not 100% sure it will end up with a 535. 505 and 552 are other possibilities I’m still considering. I also think Formula 400 was the actual model name in ‘70. Other displacements (350, 400, 455) were available in Formulas starting in ‘71. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the hatch that was installed to access the ZL1 fuel pump module. I had it installed about 1" more forward than normal so I could have easier access to the plumbing. There isn't easy access to the fuel level sending unit, unfortunately.

And here's a photo of the transmission cover. Rather than using the piece I bought from Speedtech, the sheetmetal guy made this one from scratch. There's a removable cover so I can access the shifter in case there's an issue (they tend to leak apparently). The factory center console fits perfectly and the shifter will end up in the correct location.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, nice work!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Here's the hatch that was installed to access the ZL1 fuel pump module. I had it installed about 1" more forward than normal so I could have easier access to the plumbing. There isn't easy access to the fuel level sending unit, unfortunately.

Wow -- an original early '70 model year trunk floor with 4 e-coat drain holes (they deleted the two middle ones in mid-May '70), .... and you cut a hole in it? OMG.

J/K

The tunnel mods for the trans look sweet. Very cool to get that to fit under a stock console, too.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The remaining fab work is done, but Randy didn't quite finish the Cyclone...so I'm on hold until mid January. I hauled the car back home and will try to mock up some of the brake and fuel lines, II Much fuel vent, battery (trunk), pedals, brake and clutch master cylinders. I'll also mock up the interior to confirm everything works together.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fascinating build. AAA+++ I like your mix of traditional (cosmetics) and tech everywhere else. It will have to be an insanely fun car to drive.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Fascinating build. AAA+++ I like your mix of traditional (cosmetics) and tech everywhere else. It will have to be an insanely fun car to drive.
Thank you! It better be insanely fun to drive...and reliable and comfortable too. I'm really rooting for the 535 to deliver. If not, there may be a Mercury Racing SB4 in my future...

Old 12-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Locating the shifter in the second most rearward position puts the stick in a good spot for the manual console (though I'll need to modify/shorten the shifter bezel). It's really comfortable, but the stick looks kind of long to me. I'm sure I can find one a couple inches shorter, and maybe with less of an angle? Most folks building 2nd gen f bodies use the most rearward shifter position so that they can use a shorter stick. If I did this, I'd need to modify an auto console (or go without a console or build something from scratch). Not sure I want to go there.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory pedals work with the brake and clutch MCs.

IMG_9555D by Gator67, on Flickr

Old 12-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've decided to go with Sandalwood, and am now considering what to do about a dash pad.

I have a nice core I could send to Al Knoch to have redone in Sandalwood, but I haven't seen one of their Firebird dashes, and they're not sure they have the correct vinyl color. If they have to dye it, I may as well use the black one I had redone by Just Dashes. Has anyone used Al Knoch for a Firebird dash, and if so, how did it turn out? Also wondering if someone might have a color sample or a scrap piece of vinyl I could send them.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
I've decided to go with Sandalwood, and am now considering what to do about a dash pad.

I have a nice core I could send to Al Knoch to have redone in Sandalwood, but I haven't seen one of their Firebird dashes, and they're not sure they have the correct vinyl color. If they have to dye it, I may as well use the black one I had redone by Just Dashes. Has anyone used Al Knoch for a Firebird dash, and if so, how did it turn out? Also wondering if someone might have a color sample or a scrap piece of vinyl I could send them.
Does Al Knoch actually do the vinyl wrap in colors other than black? I assumed they did same as Just Dashes, and just wrapped them in black and dyed them. I wonder if they could to the '70/'71 armrest pads in other colors?

Nevertheless, if you're going to go with Sandalwood, the Sandalwood interior had a darker "caramel" color for the dash, console, and kick panels. The rest of the trim was a lighter cream color. So you're likely going to want to go with dye anyway to get the dash, console, and kick panels to match.

Attached color code sheet has information that I believe an automotive paint store could use to mix proper colors.

No color samples here -- my Sandalwood interior car came to me with its dash/console/kick panels re-dyed black...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandalwood Color Codes.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	527853  

Old 12-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I may still have the plastic spray-cards I used on my old 1970 Formula with sandlewood interior (see #1 and #2 in the first picture). If you think it would help, I could try and find them and send you a sample.

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4241.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	527854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9011.10.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	527855  

Old 12-30-2019, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really glad you are keeping the factory color combo- an amazing build

Old 12-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Does Al Knoch actually do the vinyl wrap in colors other than black? I assumed they did same as Just Dashes, and just wrapped them in black and dyed them. I wonder if they could to the '70/'71 armrest pads in other colors?

Nevertheless, if you're going to go with Sandalwood, the Sandalwood interior had a darker "caramel" color for the dash, console, and kick panels. The rest of the trim was a lighter cream color. So you're likely going to want to go with dye anyway to get the dash, console, and kick panels to match.

Attached color code sheet has information that I believe an automotive paint store could use to mix proper colors.

No color samples here -- my Sandalwood interior car came to me with its dash/console/kick panels re-dyed black...
I was told by a Corvette restorer here in town that they will do vinyl wrap in other colors. I called Knoch and was told that they've only done 2nd gen Firebird dashes in black and blue (she wasn't sure which blue--I suspect the same one they use on their lower door panels), and that they'd get back to me about other available colors--I had a difficult time explaining what the color looked like--I said "dark tan almost brown with a greenish tone but definitely not green"--I don't think my description was very helpful.

Wondering if Chevy used this color in the Corvette, and if so, was is called something different?

Thank you for sending that color code sheet...you previously sent me a document with Ditzler and PPG codes, with a photo of a RH kick panel. Appreciate the help from you (and also Chris)...I'm gonna need it!

Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
I think I may still have the plastic spray-cards I used on my old 1970 Formula with sandlewood interior (see #1 and #2 in the first picture). If you think it would help, I could try and find them and send you a sample.
The photos you emailed me way back in 2013 of your castillion bronze car are ultimately what motivated my choice to keep mine Sandalwood. I still have the email with the other information regarding the paints you used, but I think the spray cards would be really helpful if I could borrow them from you.