Old 09-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Default Install New Water Pump - A Few Easy Questions

My new water pump should arrive Monday and I want to be ready.
  • Is there a bolt tightening pattern that is recommended?
  • Does anyone know if there are torque specifications for the bolts? There are two sizes of bolts, would the torque be the same for all bolts?
  • Finally, can anyone recommend a gasket sealer?

This is for a 78 Tran Am with a Pontiac 400 and an 11 bolt water pump.

Thanks for your help,
TacoTownCharlie

Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Water Pump to Timing Cover Torque 10 lb/ft in 5 lb/ft increments.

Alternate/spiral pattern to even out the fastening.

I don't think a sealant is necessary, it can go on dry.

JMO.

455/469 w/ #48 Heads, '65 Tri-Power
9.25:1 CR
Stump Puller Cam
Muncie M22W 1st-2.56 2nd-1.75 3rd-1.37 4th-1.00
3.55 Rear Differential
Front: 225/60R15 Height: 25.6"
Rear: 275/60R15 Height: 28"
Old 09-07-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks, I think I’m ready to install this now. I appreciate your help.
TacoTownCharlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i would suggest using a sealer on the gaskets, have had water pumps leak over time when installed dry. permatex untra grey or ultra black is good stuff, just use a small amount & thin with your finger, then follow instructions on the tube for install & cure times. after a couple heat cycles its a good idea to go back & re torque the bolts. the check them again after a couple months.

also be sure to clearance the divider plate to the pump impeller for best cooling, there should be some write ups on here or other forums, but basicallly get the plate as close to teh impeller as possible without touching, like .010 clearance. you can tap it with a rubber mallet or hammer carefully if it needs some tweaking.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Thanks 78W72. The new water pump instructions suggested Permatex #22017 so I'll pick that up. I'll remember to re-check the bolts as you suggest. I have my rubber mallet ready to go, I just need to get a feel for what amount of force it takes to bring the plate closer. Right now it is between .075 and .100 (with the gasket in place) so I don't have far to go. I'll try to post some old pump vs new pump pictures.

I've picked up a spray can of Chrysler Green (Duplicolor DE1619); I want to see if it will blend in with the rest of the engine. The engine was recently rebuilt so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I picked the same color as the rebuilder.

Thanks for your help.
TacoTownCharlie

Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use High Tack or Gaska-cinch, I'm not a fan of putting any RTV on there, just makes a mess.

See if the insert rubber rings are good, replace if so. If you remove the sleeves, I use a little coat of anti-seize on them so they don't 'stick' in the cover.

I've held the plate on the pump, and with slow force, banged it on the garage floor to close the gap, works pretty good, and does it evenly. You can use a piece of wood, but beating on the side of the plate rams the pump shaft, and could impact the bearing/seal.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTownCharlie View Post
Thanks 78W72. The new water pump instructions suggested Permatex #22017 so I'll pick that up. I'll remember to re-check the bolts as you suggest. I have my rubber mallet ready to go, I just need to get a feel for what amount of force it takes to bring the plate closer. Right now it is between .075 and .100 (with the gasket in place) so I don't have far to go. I'll try to post some old pump vs new pump pictures.

I've picked up a spray can of Chrysler Green (Duplicolor DE1619); I want to see if it will blend in with the rest of the engine. The engine was recently rebuilt so I'll keep my fingers crossed that I picked the same color as the rebuilder.

Thanks for your help.
TacoTownCharlie
Permatex 22071 Water Pump and Thermostat RTV silicone gasket maker is a non-corrosive formula specifically developed for water pumps and thermostat housings. It contains the highest water-glycol-resistance available in an RTV silicone.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Permatex 22071 Water Pump and Thermostat RTV silicone gasket maker is a non-corrosive formula specifically developed for water pumps and thermostat housings. It contains the highest water-glycol-resistance available in an RTV silicone.
Yup, it's meant to be used instead of a gasket. Not with a gasket.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
See if the insert rubber rings are good, replace if so. If you remove the sleeves, I use a little coat of anti-seize on them so they don't 'stick' in the cover.

The rubber rings were shot, I replaced them and the tubes. I picked up some anti-seize and will coat the outside of the tubes before I install the new water pump. I think I've read on here that anti-seize is really for the next guy who works on the pump - and that may be me!

Thanks for your comments.
TacoTownCharlie