THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default BMW Issues Recall on Toyota Supra....

Yes, you read that correctly, it was BMW that issued the recall.

Quote:
Since BMW manufactures the Toyota Supra these days in Austria, it's the automaker responsible for the potential defect. It underscores the Japanese sports car's heavy reliance on a BMW architecture, which has been a sticking point for purists, to put it kindly.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...-bmw-seatbelt/

Strange, but true...

Old 10-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, shouldn’t they have caught it ? They built the damn thing.
Toyota builds much better quality cars than BMW which are bottomless money pits and non stop repairs after they get to be just 3-4 years old.
You simply won’t get 300,000 trouble free miles out of BMW.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm trying to figure out why Toyota just didn't build the car themselves???

Old 10-01-2019, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only seven cars in the recall, which must be a new record.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're right about BMW's not lasting. And this is coming from a BMW owner. We've had a BMW in the driveway every year since 1990. They're fantastic when they are new, but I'd never buy a used one. We trade them in at the end of our three year lease every time. Right now. we have an X4M4.0i. Tons of power, but I'm not a fan of it because it's an SUV. But my wife likes it and it's her car.
I've never had a problem with any of them, but they usually have no more than 30,000 miles on them when we trade them in. I do know people that have bought a used one and really regretted it, with no warranty or included maintenance.

Last edited by Stuart; 10-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the dealerships I ran parts and service for was a BMW dealership. They are very problematic vehicles. Amazing the amount of repairs needed while even under warranty. Awesome cars to drive but not worth the aggravation IMO. Even my demo's needed repair and I only drove them 5K miles before getting a new one.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

BMW stands for, Bite My Wallet, when you need to get them repaired...

Ahhhh, it's just like the good old days. Two axis powers joining together, trying to fool man kind....selling Kool aid...LOL...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Someone in our neighborhood has a new Supra- silver (or white) with red mirrors? I don’t get it?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
You're right about BMW's not lasting. And this is coming from a BMW owner. We've had a BMW in the driveway every year since 1990. They're fantastic when they are new, but I'd never buy a used one. We trade them in at the end of our three year lease every time. Right now. we have an X4M4.0i. Tons of power, but I'm not a fan of it because it's an SUV. But my wife likes it and it's her car.
I've never had a problem with any of them, but they usually have no more than 30,000 miles on them when we trade them in. I do know people that have bought a used one and really regretted it, with no warranty or included maintenance.
My cousin, who owns a shop ended up having American general finance go through his shop because of so many customers who had bought used Audi’s, VWs, Mercedes and BMWs that couldn’t afford to pay the repair bills.
You can buy very sharp ones used for pretty cheap, but keeping them running is very expensive.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I'm trying to figure out why Toyota just didn't build the car themselves???
Toyota to me is like AMC was, they’re more into building basic transportation like conservative sedans than sporty cars.
I drove a friends twin turbo Supra in 1996 and it was that had a few modifications and it was a damn animal; if you downshifted and hammered it at 120 it would shove you back in the seat.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I've been driving a 1986 5 series for 20 years, it's been a very reliable car. It has 220,000 miles on it which is basically considered middle age - I know a couple guys who have 400,000+ miles on theirs.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
BMW stands for, Bite My Wallet...
Nope, it's Bring Money Willingly

Old 10-02-2019, 01:37 AM
Senior Chief

In Germany some say BMW stands for bei mercedes weggeschmissen or thrown away by mercedes.. anyway they're very polular cars here.. expensive but popular..

Old 10-02-2019, 03:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didn't think they had hit the show room floors yet? What a slap in the face to Toyota and BMW! Here are a few prime examples of less than ten year old BMWs that sold for over 60k, these depreciate faster than they are fast!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...990142077.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/c...990064931.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...989906121.html

Old 10-02-2019, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BMW- Bowel Movement Wagon

It's a shame, they are very nice cars, the drive trains are actually very bullet proof, just keeping them running is so expensive. I would never want to own one without a factory warranty on it.

Two owners drove those cars, BMW enthusiast, and luxury car owners. The enthusiast would praise the car regardless of it faults, they would flat out say "that's the price you have to pay to drive those cars", the luxury owner that came over for the looks, styling etc, would freak out at the volume of repairs compared to their previous vehicles, usually Lexus, Acura, Infinity, etc.

I did like driving those cars, nothing else like it, just wouldn't want to own one.

Last edited by necdb3; 10-02-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One big reason that they drop so much in value, like the examples that Drag Star has shown, is that dyed in the wool BMW owners wouldn't be caught dead in a previous generation model when the new ones come out. They are a status symbol. My wife gets a hefty car allowance and that's one reason, aside from the driving experience, that we drive them and trade them for new. I've still got my '07 Tundra with 200,000 miles on it. I don't need to impress anyone and it impresses me every day.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
My cousin, who owns a shop ended up having American general finance go through his shop because of so many customers who had bought used Audi’s, VWs, Mercedes and BMWs that couldn’t afford to pay the repair bills.
You can buy very sharp ones used for pretty cheap, but keeping them running is very expensive.
We’ve had three Mercedes(CLK350, C300 and a C250) along with four VWs(three Passats and one EOS). The CLK350 was the one I liked the best: plenty of power when you needed it and would deliver 32 mpg on the highway as long as you kept your foot off the throttle. Once I found a dealer that had technicians that would listen to me, the reoccurring “check engine” problem was solved. The C300 never had anything but scheduled maintenance. The C250 was a total piece of crap that M-B bought back. The VWs were all dependable to a fault.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see why Toyota needed to partner with someone in a car like this.
No doubt picking a BMW type manufacturer made more sense than somebody like GM.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a Toyota despiser. With that said, the new "Supra" isn't a wart on the ass of a 1998 Supra..They have a dedicated following because they were one of the best performers of their time.

BMW's are total trash, BTW..

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
This has been my experience working on ALL brands of vehicles for decades. I honestly understand the allure, you can buy a used "premium" German car for pennies on the dollar once they are out of warranty. This is especially true if they are not a special trim or model. Their driving dynamics are wonderful, IF they are running. BMW, (Bavarian Money Wasters), builds a wonderful in-line 6 cylinder engine. BUT, EVERYTHING with electrons flowing through it and EVERYTHING made of rubber on a Mercedes or BMW is crap and super expensive. Many of my customers just can afford to keep these things running after the warranty is gone. The marriage of Toyota and BMW looks good on paper IF the best characteristics of each manufacturer is utilized. I hope it works out for them. Purest customers of each brand will be pissed and not buy the product. That's the chance you take with a "marriage" like this.