THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to see it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good. I usually enjoy Matt Damon movies anyhow. Nowadays that aren't many movies that come out the I am interested in going to see. This one sparks my interest.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Going to see it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good. I usually enjoy Matt Damon movies anyhow. Nowadays that aren't many movies that come out the I am interested in going to see. This one sparks my interest.
Yeah, not many movies I’m interested in these days. But one of the last ones I saw at the theater was the 3 Stooges movie, so I guess my standards aren’t too high.
Going tonight though to see this on a date with my wife

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Went with my wife earlier in the week; movie was entertaining to both of us, for different reasons though.

Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby did okay imo.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

My wife and I are planning on going the Friday after Thanksgiving. I don’t go to movies anymore because I despise the Hollywood crowd, but I’ll make an exception for this one.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went this evening to see it. Pretty good IMO. Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby is more likable than the actual Carroll Shelby LOL.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Went this evening to see it. Pretty good IMO. Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby is more likable than the actual Carroll Shelby LOL.
I totally Agree!!!! I am glad that a schedualling issue prevented Tom Cruise for doing that role. Damon did a great Job IMO.

I was actually amazed the cars got dirty as the races went on!

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ellen and I are going to it for a date night in December. It turns out the hotel we're staying at in Edinburgh, Scotland has a theater in the basement and "Ford v. Ferrari" is playing there one of the nights we'll be there. It's actually called "Le mans '66" in Great Britain, but I watched the trailer and it's the same movie. We're looking forward to it. Thanks for the advance reviews.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 11-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I heard he could be a jerk, but isn't that characteristic of any businessman?

I have seen some candid interviews (like the one recently posted by 'my classic car'), which made him seem like a likeable guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Having had the chance to work with Carroll Shelby on a couple of projects..., I'm struggling with Matt Damon in that role. ...
I'm interested to hear your take, having worked with the man.
I liked how in the Jay Leno video, Jay said he thought Matt did a great job of portraying him, and gave him a token of appreciation from the Shelby family...
It was cool that Matt is driving (as he apparently was in the movie) Carroll's grandson's 289 Cobra.

The only problem I have with some actors is they feel compelled to push their political agenda on us "peons" because of their celebrity status;
I can not at this time think of Matt Damon having done that... unlike his contemporary dicrapio.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 11-25-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a friend that works at the place that built the cars for the movie, all replicas of course but still very advanced six figure cars. The "Ferrari" just sold for $210K and the GT40 for $165K

Old 11-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Is it the documentary that's currently on Netflix. The 24 Hour War?"
Just saw most of this, pretty cool footage of one of the Rodriguez boys, Reventlow, Mario, Gurney, Foyt, Remington, Et All. Sickening footage of the '55 crash, Lots of stuff I had never seen before. Just amazing!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 11-25-2019, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I'm interested to hear your take, having worked with the man.
Saw the movie this past weekend with my wife and two kids. We all thought it was just a fantastic show. Great story, great acting, and I really appreciated the film makers' efforts to get some of the details historically correct, i.e. the pits/stands at LeMans looking the way they did in the mid-Sixties (burned into my brain from seeing the real pits a hundred times watching Steve McQueen's movie LeMans when I was kid...).

For sure there was a bit of license taken with facts - but it was a "historically-based fiction" -- not a documentary.

Relative to Matt Damon as Shelby -- from the start of the movie my brain seemed to switch into a "just sit back and enjoy it mode", and I never tried to draw comparisons. He just seemed like Matt Damon playing a "character" -- perhaps I've seen too many Matt Damon films. But it was well done, with great characters.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue

Last edited by keith k; 11-25-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We are going right now 10:05 showing.

TOM
Old 11-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just saw the movie with my son and we really enjoyed it!!

Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Senior Chief

Went to see the movie Friday, both my wife and I enjoyed it. But just like any movie based on a true story, sometimes it’s hard to know where the facts stop and the creative license take over. I’m going to have to do some reading and maybe I can sort out the facts.
The biggest surprise was finding out the theater seats are large, leather, comfortable BarcaLounger’s with cup holders.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

Went to see it yesterday,pleasantly surprised to see,when Iacocca was telling Henry ford they needed to update,he showed a nice red lotus elite as an example.
I had two of them and my sister still has hers. Shoulda kept them !!