Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PRW ROCKER ARMS

I see that PRW has jumped into the arena of stainless steel rocker arms. I have an SFI approved harmonic balancer on my engine and I have used two others on Chevrolets and PRW seems to make a good product. Anybody heard any feedback about these or are running them? They are a little cheaper than Crower.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They have been out for quite some time. I installed a set back in 2009, had issues with them and replaced them with Crower Enduro's........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I thought they were new because Summit has just started selling them

Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You say you can't stand waiting and want to drive it already, but you keep changing things...
Make a checklist. Put a checkmark in the box by the engine. If a box has been checked, leave
that item alone. Focus on the empty boxes. It'll save you money, and speed completion.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just thinking today about whether PRW might have rectified the roller erosion problem Cliff discovered some time ago. Would be great to know whether the current production is okay. I just don't want to be the test dummy...

Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I read a post in a non rocker thread that said PRW had corrected the problem circa 2011. Around that time I noticed that a couple of vendors stopped offering the stainless rockers, but still offering the aluminum ones. Butler is again offering the stainless ones.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 12-04-2019, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Junk, my Norris are as good as they get. The 'original SS rocker arm. Crower copied them.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, we are in the street section and the PRW's are less than half as much as a set of Crower's. Butler carries both and we are talking $589.95 for Crower's vs. $279.95 for PRW's stainless offering. The low profile of the stainless rocker makes it easier to get things packaged under stock valve covers and not everyone is up to spending over $600 including shipping for rocker arms on a street oriented valvetrain. Crower might have copied Norris and PRW maybe copied both of them. None of us want a product that is going to fall apart, but if the issue was resolved then they are a decent choice. I would think that the roller tip would be the same as their aluminum (and probably other's) rocker roller tips. Here's a photo of a Crower and an older PRW together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crower rocker 1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	525980  

Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PRW is a good company that cares. They wanted to avoid dealing with Jegs and Summit to maintain integrity in their price structure.... Unfortunately they caved.

They try to make a quality import part but at the end of the day they're "import" parts. We use quite a few of the parts without issues including their SS rockers. However I seldom run them in any application that has stiff valve spring or requires valve lash.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:23 PM

I had bought a new set of the PRW's from Butler a couple years ago, was going to give them a try instead of the Harland Sharp I have been using. Decided to stick with the Harland Sharp when assembling so the PRW's still sit on the shelf in the package. When I was originally sizing the pushrods with the PRW's I could not get the poly lock nuts on very far onto the studs. Ended up buying longer studs. Now they sit on the shelf next to the rockers....

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Anyone have noise issues with the PRW's? I have had them on the 468 for awhile and they have always been noisy. I have adjusted and adjusted and adjusted. They do have a good build quality.

The Burb Files
Old 12-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The quality (or lack thereof) of the PRW rockers has been beat to death on this forum for years now. I have a brand new never used set of either 1.5 or 1.65 PRWs I will sell for $125 shipped if anyone wants them.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
The quality (or lack thereof) of the PRW rockers has been beat to death on this forum for years now. I have a brand new never used set of either 1.5 or 1.65 PRWs I will sell for $125 shipped if anyone wants them.
Things do get exaggerated quite often on this forum and the Internet. Sorry to hear you have a set of rockers you feel "stuck" with.

Last edited by PAUL K; 12-04-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the real deal on them.

We purchased two sets around 2009. One set went into my 455. From day one at every oil change I had what I would call metal "toothpaste" on the magnetic drain plug. Not a lot at first to cause alarm, but I did raise an eyebrow wondering where it could be coming from.

The first time I lashed the valves (solid roller lifters) I noticed that if I slid a feeler gauge in and tightened the locknut it would go tight if I tried to spin the roller. This confused me initially but things were quiet in the valve train so I didn't get all worked up about it.

Jump ahead a couple of years and the "toothpaste" on the drain plug persisted and the valve train started to get noisy. It would shut up initially after adjusting the valves but within a day or so it would start getting noisy again. I knew there was something amiss at this point so I removed alll the rocker arms and some had as much as .014" play between the rollers and pins...yikes!

All of them were out of round some, even the ones that didn't have nearly as much play in them.

Turns out the pins were poorly machined and very hard and were eating up the inside of the rollers. PRW acknowledged the problem and claimed to have corrected the issue. The other set we put in service did the same thing.

Keep in mind when you read this you probably wouldn't know this was going on IF you were using hydraulic lifters as they will take up the slack. By the time you start hearing a lot of noise with an hydraulic set-up they are gong to be worn pretty hard and have put quite a bit of metal into your assembly.

One would think by now that they would have corrected the issues. I sent my set to them, never got them back or a replacement set, although I really didn't expect anything. I move on to Crowers and no more issues.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post

You say you can't stand waiting and want to drive it already, but you keep changing things...
Make a checklist. Put a checkmark in the box by the engine. If a box has been checked, leave
that item alone. Focus on the empty boxes. It'll save you money, and speed completion.
Why do you assume that a question means I am changing something? My engine is built and has no changes to be made I was just curious and wondered if they were made in the USA. Sorry if god forbid an old parts man wonders the quality of what I thought was a new product

Old 12-05-2019, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Why do you assume that a question means I am changing something?
Whoops. I clearly mistook you for the other 64speed that also posts on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
If the Lunati rockers give me trouble I will pony up for the crower stainless steel ones.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Well, we are in the street section and the PRW's are less than half as much as a set of Crower's. Butler carries both and we are talking $589.95 for Crower's vs. $279.95 for PRW's stainless offering. The low profile of the stainless rocker makes it easier to get things packaged under stock valve covers and not everyone is up to spending over $600 including shipping for rocker arms on a street oriented valvetrain. Crower might have copied Norris and PRW maybe copied both of them. None of us want a product that is going to fall apart, but if the issue was resolved then they are a decent choice. I would think that the roller tip would be the same as their aluminum (and probably other's) rocker roller tips. Here's a photo of a Crower and an older PRW together.
I was told awhile back by Ken at PPR that Norris would make a run of Pontiac SS rockers with a order of 10 sets. I wonder what they would charge? I paid 259$ for mine back in the day. The Mopar guys use them a lot I hear.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Whoops. I clearly mistook you for the other 64speed that also posts on this forum.
I will pony up for the crower but no need to if these are as good. Never can there be too much information. Stop being a dick

Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I was told awhile back by Ken at PPR that Norris would make a run of Pontiac SS rockers with a order of 10 sets. I wonder what they would charge? I paid 259$ for mine back in the day. The Mopar guys use them a lot I hear.
Norris are comparable to Crower...no reason to think the prices wouldn't be comparable.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those old Norris rocker arms might be the only ones worth more used than they were new. I would not sell them for anything under 400$.