Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Well, we are in the street section .... not everyone is up to spending over $600 including shipping for rocker arms on a street oriented valvetrain. ...
If you don't want to pay to play then run the Harland Sharps. You can get them under stock valvecovers - I've done it.

If you're running enough valvespring pressure to warrant them, or looking for the most durable possible part then you shouldn't be afraid to spend the money.

Buying cheap stainless rockers that *might* not last just seems like false economy. If we knew these were a quality part and the equal of the Crowers then that would change the equation, but as another poster said above, I don't want to be the test dummy. And, I know the HS rockers are good enough up to the point where you actually need a stainless rocker.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What am I missing? I thought your motor was done, dyno'd and in storage.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again I am not changing anything I am just curious if this stainless rocker was as good as the crower. I have a 66 Tempest that will need an engine eventually when it comes up on the restoration list

Old 12-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a set and echo Cliffs comments, but my experience was in 2015. They were junk. After less than 500 miles and several dyno pulls three of the rollers didn’t roll and several more were very high friction. I replaced them with Crower Enduro’s and they have been flawless and much quieter.

You ask for opinions and then argue when you don’t get the answer you want. Caveat Emptor.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a set of the PRW years ago for a street project and ended up trading them off. I currently have 3 sets of the Crower Endurance on my rides.
Has anyone seen the ELGIN Stainless? Are these the same as the PRW?

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I used a set and echo Cliffs comments, but my experience was in 2015. They were junk. After less than 500 miles and several dyno pulls three of the rollers didn’t roll and several more were very high friction. I replaced them with Crower Enduro’s and they have been flawless and much quieter.

You ask for opinions and then argue when you don’t get the answer you want. Caveat Emptor.
Who did I argue with? I know nothing of these rockers I never knew they existed but I have been told by several people on this forum that I had to keep an eye on my aluminum bodied rockers. I simply asked the question I didn’t argue with anyone I simply asked about the quality of a product. This is not the only pontiac I will ever build. I will be building a 326 for a 66 Tempest for my wife after my cars done and I was curious to quality

Old 12-08-2019, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Elgin stainless are my next purchase to replace my 34 year old Comp Magnums. I wouldn't be surprised if the PRW are made by Elgin.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only three types I'll even think about using here are Crane Gold Race, Harland Sharp, or Crower Enduro's. We've have had issues or known others to have issues with just about everything else out there.

A good factory stamped steel rocker will get the job done nicely for most of these builds (we are in the Street section). They are light, strong and you really aren't giving up anything as far as power is concerned. I just don't like using them with really high lift roller camshafts as that's just really not what they were meant for......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't buy the PRW junk again, I tried a set of stud girdles, but the tall polylock nuts were machined so far off concentric that I couldn't get the girdle bars over them. The Pontiac vendor sent me another set of polylocks but these were the same.