Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-19-2020, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Why is #3 Body Bushing nut different?

Had the question asked of me why the 1965 #3 body bushing nut is totally different than the others. I haven't tackled my bushings so no first hand experience, but did look in my 1967 service manual and read that my #3 nut is a "T" nut and is also different from the other caged nuts. Anyone know why this was necessary? Further reading shows that #1 & #2 have one style cushion, #3 is a different cushion, and #4 and higher positions have yet another slightly different cushion.

I ordered out the complete set of new body mount rubber cushions a few weeks ago and all look the same to me. It always worries me when Pontiac spent the time and money to do things differently and the aftermarket doesn't follow.

So what's the story on #3 nut and has anyone noticed any problem with the one-size-fits-all aftermarket cushions?

Old 01-19-2020, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

#3 bolt is shorter too. I bought my kit from Ames, and there is a kit with the different #3 mount available, it's about $15 more. That is the kit i bought. As far as the one size, when i took my body off, all of the rest of my mounts were identical.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if this will answer your question?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65-frame-bolts.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	529120  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-19-2020, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That diagram is for the B body cars. I was talking A body.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PY distorts pics too much.

Here's a link - 65 Frame Mounts

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess your correct.
I think there was something on the A body also.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure #3 helps locate the body correctly on the frame...the bolt is shorter so it does not come through the floor

Old 01-20-2020, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And no cage and more of a fixed position to it -- so I guess that would indicate that #3 would be the alignment position with the other cage nuts having some wiggle room. Just never noticed this before until it was asked of me why the nut style was different.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AMD did a wonderful job on my car. My Tempest was the first one out the gate when the new quarter panels came out. AMD had already stripped it and cut out the cancer a week before they arrived. The only thing the did that I did not like is when I went to pick it up they handed me a baggie with a body mount and told me it didn’t fit and that I needed to cut it dowm. After towing the car to multiple places all not guaranteed to fix it I wrapped blue painters tape about a quarter from the top to act as a guide and I cut it to size with a straight razor. I loosened all the body bolts slid it in and bolted it down. Total time 1 hour