Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1968 GTO Manual Trans. Console Wiring

Hey guys,

I'm wondering in particular where the switch and light land on a manual trans console? I found a diagram in the Restoration book where it shows a switch (Plunger type) mounted on the front console lip to activate the light as the console door is opened. Wondering about this style switch and where the light socket lands. The socket is separate, not like a glove box switch/light that has the bulb on the opposite side of the switch. I don't see anywhere obvious where the light is supposed to be mounted.

Anybody have any pictures of theirs?

Old 04-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it is exactly like the glove box light. the setup pushes down through a hole on the top where the plunger contacts the door. the light just hangs down inside and there's a hole drilled through the console box insert that lets the light shine in. It was a crappy design, didn't give much light and had problems with the light not going out, plunger breaking off, etc. They ended up eliminating that soon afterwards on the 69-72 consoles so if you've got a later insert box it might be missing the hole for the light to shine through.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should also have mentioned that the 68-72 manual consoles all look the same from the outside so you may not have a 68 base either, so the switch hole itself could be missing if it's a later console.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
I should also have mentioned that the 68-72 manual consoles all look the same from the outside so you may not have a 68 base either, so the switch hole itself could be missing if it's a later console.
I do have the hole for the switch but I guess the insert may have been changed since I don't see any hole for the light socket to insert into.

Where is the light socket hole exactly?

Old 04-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it shines thru a hole in the console liner
and
70 -72 will have a lid latch rectangle hole cut in the top lip also

Old 04-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

this is a 68 manual console

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	536581

Dave

http://www.stellarmachine.com/

79 Firebird
Old 04-07-2020, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Oh so it is just a glovebox switch/light! I guess I was thrown off because I actually have a seperate light socket. I guess that was added