Old 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Default 1970 gto aligmnent specs

could someone please post 1970 gto convertible alignment specs,and would you chage them for radial tires...thx keith

Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Hi Musclecarman15,

I'm new to the forum as well as GTO ownership (just got a '70 GTO myself). I was cruising the various threads, getting the "lay of the land" and came across your question. I have the '70 Pontiac service manual on CD. The specs were common between coupes and convertibles but they did spec a little differently for station wagons.

According to the manual, alignments for bias-ply tires are:
Camber: +.25 deg, +/- .50 deg
Caster: -1.5 deg, +/- .5 deg
Toe-in: 0" to 1/8"

I had an alignment done immediately after I bought my GTO as I had to replace a leaky steering box. The car came with radials mounted on factory Rally II rims. The alignment shop used the bias-ply specs shown above. The results are not that good. With radials, the car doesn't track too well and doesn't come back to center well either.

So, additional research online and through other forums, I've come up with a set of specs that I'll soon have done to mine. They are based on what other folks use as well as recommendations from suspension folks like Hotchkis, etc. and I expect them to work a lot better than my current setup:

Camber: -.5 to -.1 deg
Caster: +3.5 to +4.5 deg
Toe-in: 1/16" to 1/8"

I see you posted a while ago, but I hope this helps. If your solution was successful and different than what I have, could you let me know? Thanks,

Old 10-24-2019, 11:17 AM

thank you, I used specs like your second set(for radials) and they worked great...thx keith