THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I know people are not REALLY in a panic yet ... both gold and silver went DOWN today

I'm going to use my day off to make my own oil filter cutter .... don't everyone do that please, it could destroy the oil filter cutter industry.
If your using a bypass oil filtration system, your going to have a hell of a time finding a new element right now!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
The infection rate is the difference , with the common flu you may only infect 1 person around you. With this coronavirus strain you could infect 1-3 =
Who said that? When the flu spreads through my work or home I think many people can sick from the initial sick person.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If your using a bypass oil filtration system, your going to have a hell of a time finding a new element right now!!!
ROTFLMAO...............I have single ply TP stored in the garage for pandemic emergencies just like this..........

I had a theory I shared with my wife yesterday, since the TP can filter to around 1 micron people can wrap themselves in TP from head to toe and filter out the virus. I bet that's exactly why the run on TP...........LOL

As Paul Harvey used to say..........................."Now you know the rest of the story"!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No cases here as of now. There were two but one was sent to Atlanta to be closer to home and the other is back in Florida Both were visitors that contracted the virus in their home town. The only people I know that have it are Tom Hanks, the actor, and his wife. I think they are in Australia.
I can understand the run on sanitizer and disinfectant but why toilet paper?

Old 03-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
ROTFLMAO...............I have single ply TP stored in the garage for pandemic emergencies just like this..........

I had a theory I shared with my wife yesterday, since the TP can filter to around 1 micron people can wrap themselves in TP from head to toe and filter out the virus. I bet that's exactly why the run on TP...........LOL

As Paul Harvey used to say..........................."Now you know the rest of the story"!!!
I knew at least ONE person would get my little joke. I hope we can all laugh about this entire mess in a few months. I wish the best for all.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The infection rate is the difference , with the common flu you may only infect 1 person around you. With this coronavirus strain you could infect 1-3 and right now it seems on the higher side with 3. It is also strange that this strain seems to have a higher death rate among older patients especially with underlying conditions,not many young with underlying conditions. The transmission is also a mystery on whether it is just airborne or other factors involved. People who say they aren't worried because they are young and healthy might want to look up Spanish Flu and see what worst cast scenario could happen. The first wave of Spanish flu early in the year was very similar to the common flu and killed young and old with compromised immunity systems, so most people did not worry and not a lot was done to protect people. The second wave later in the year of the Spanish Flu did not discriminate it killed every age group healthy or not. The dont worry attitude help spread the first wave of the Spanish Flu and then it mutated to an even deadlier strain the second time around. Should this make you panic and hoard toilet paper of course not but should it make you more cautious, yes. I am glad to see that there are restrictions on travel and large gatherings. At least something is being done to curb the spread of the virus. Like all viruses they can mutate and change especially a strain like this that crossed species.
I saw this quote on another web site and made me think of the Matrix.
What if mother nature is sick and she is trying to get rid of the virus,humans.
The matrix version=
You might want to review your source of information. Seasonal flu ALWAYS has a much higher mortality rate among the elderly with underlying conditions. This is WHY nearly all health professionals encourage the elderly with underlying conditions to get both the seasonal flu AND pneumonia vaccines.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY mentions that the US population as a whole is getting older on average. That said; there Will be more risk factor and "possiblity " more folks getting sick from this.
On the Prevention side, I am betting 90 % of folks on this board are LOW ON VITAMIN D3. This is your BEST defence on flu and viruses aside from common sense activities.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Senior Chief

I don’t have it but I know people in self quarantine because of on-site support in affected countries.

I agree with the other posters that common sense and judgment are your best options. If you can, avoid any unnecessary travel or gatherings. Because of the lack of testing no one really knows how many people are infected.

IMO, the concerning thing is the virulence and there are no vaccines, no cures, no remedies.
Some people might have symptoms no worse than the common flu but other less fortunate, it becomes far more serious. You don’t know how your body (or people you care about) is going to react and how bad it’s going to be. If you slide into the most serious phase a ventilator is about as much as the medical community can offer. Apparently, for some if you survive, the damage can be life-long.

Again, I don’t believe becoming panic-stricken is going to help but I wouldn’t brush it of as media hysteria either.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our church just cancelled services for this Sunday. Considering the age of the congregation, it was probably a prudent measure.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The infection rate is the difference , with the common flu you may only infect 1 person around you. With this coronavirus strain you could infect 1-3 =
Who said that? When the flu spreads through my work or home I think many people can sick from the initial sick person.
The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3, according to The New York Times.

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19. Preliminary studies have estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be between 2 and 3, according to the JAMA review study published Feb. 28. This means each infected person has spread the virus to an average of 2 to 3 people.
Quote:
You might want to review your source of information. Seasonal flu ALWAYS has a much higher mortality rate among the elderly with underlying conditions. This is WHY nearly all health professionals encourage the elderly with underlying conditions to get both the seasonal flu AND pneumonia vaccines.
I am not sure what you are asking me but in pure numbers yes the flu kills more people yearly. If you look at percentage then 99.9% of the people who get the flu will recover just fine while covid-19 it depends on the area 1%-3% will die from this virus.
Quote:
The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.
[/QUOTE]
Of course all this can change since so little is known about covid-19 but it is not your average flu.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird View Post
I can't agree more with you. But reading between the lines the OP asked if we are worried, and the "left" media is doing everything they can to create a scare in America.
I knew someone would bring politics into this civil discussion.....

Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Open borders, what a great concept. Oh, I forgot that would let carriers of contagious viruses/diseases enter the country too. Duh, who would have thought of that?

Old 03-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lot of comparisons being made on social media comparing this to the flu. There is a documentary on Netflix now, kind of dry, but good, Pandemic. Pandemics are quite different from seasonal. Hospitals in Italy are maxed out for example. It is like a big wave vs little ones over time, it seems. Also, best good data on Corona infection vs fatalities is from Italy and S Korea. They have tested a lot, unlike here. Death rate on over 60 to over 80 apparently is higher (much) than seasonal flu. The biggest risk is infecting older people around you.
I encourage everyone to read, read be informed. Don't get info from fools like me on social media.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

29% of the Italian population is over 60 years old; conversely, the mortality among Italians is going to be higher. Simple logic., people.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-14-2020, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks a lot. That's a big help to me. When the banks are paying 1 percent you have to put your money someplace else to try to make money. Not all of us are wealthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 02:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Take a look at the mortality rates by age group

This is old men's disease. Period.

The stats are all here:
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Here's the meaty stuff:

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases. .all cases

80+ years old
21.9%. 14.8%

70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group.

In general, relatively few cases are seen among children.

Sex ratio
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by SEX:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on sex. When reading these numbers, it must be taken into account that smoking in China is much more prevalent among males. Smoking increases the risks of respiratory complications.
SEX
DEATH RATE............... DEATH RATE
confirmed cases................ all cases

Male

4.7% 2.8%

Female

2.8% 1.7%

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by sex.

Hold on tight - this is going to be a bumpy ride........

Old 03-14-2020, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work at the SSA-HQ in Woodlawn, MD and we were hoping an announcement would be made that everyone would be permitted to work from home for the next two weeks. No such announcement has come (yet), but they did announce mid-day Friday that they are allowing anyone who wants, to go back to working 2 days per week from home (we currently work 1 day per week from home). They are also making special compensations for those with school age children or children in day care to work from home for the next 2 weeks while public schools are closed.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb In Every State Except West Virginia

In every state now except West Virginia.

As of this morning:

@ https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...cases.amp.html

Jim

Old 03-14-2020, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, 10 seconds no prob.
Had to hold it nearly 1 minute twice for CT scans couple weeks ago.
That wasn't so hard but when they injected the dye got internal burning sensation and nausea. Nearly puked.
Nurse put a cold wet towel over my neck. What a relief that was.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 03-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had that Korean info sent to me by an acquaintance the other day. Next day I was informed it was a hoax! Don't know what to think.

Closed Thread