Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 PM

Default 1962 Dash Pads

Question: Did all full size cars come with a padded dash pad or did some of the lower priced models come with some kind of metal/plastic filler panel or cover between the dash and cowl?

The reason I'm asking is the dash pad on my Bonneville is shot and I don't want to spend the $$$ to have it fixed. I'm building a driver ... not a show car. However ... I don't want to leave a gaping hole around the dash panel.

Thanks

TS

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Chief

I don't for sure about the other big cars, but the GP dash pad goes to the windshield while the Cat one is a partial. I believe the Bonneville is a partial also. The area between where the dash pad ends and the windshield is metal.

1962 Grand Prix, 408 w/tripower, ported / polished #62s, TH400, 3.42 posi

Last edited by stucky2947; 10-26-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: addl info.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a Catalina dash pad: http://justdashes.blogspot.com/2011/...-dash-pad.html If 1962 cars were like 1961, the top of the dash (on cars so equipped) had a separate pad from this part. I've seen people simply use a 1/8" layer of foam glued to the dash top and then covered with a piece of naugahyde, it's mostly flat so stretching and fitting the naugahyde isn't terribly hard. If you can't find the exact color naugahyde locally SMS in Oregon can provide it.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky2947 View Post
I don't for sure about the other big cars, but the GP dash pad goes to the windshield while the Cat one is a partial. I believe the Bonneville is a partial also. The area between where the dash pad ends and the windshield is metal.
Bonneville ... at least mine ... also goes all the way to the windshield and is "clamped" by the moulding. I was looking at it closer today and was thinking since the pad is shot I might as well strip it all off and see what is underneath. I doubt I will ever have it recovered because ... like I said ... I'm building a driver.
Thanks for the input.
TS

Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
This is a Catalina dash pad: http://justdashes.blogspot.com/2011/...-dash-pad.html If 1962 cars were like 1961, the top of the dash (on cars so equipped) had a separate pad from this part. I've seen people simply use a 1/8" layer of foam glued to the dash top and then covered with a piece of naugahyde, it's mostly flat so stretching and fitting the naugahyde isn't terribly hard. If you can't find the exact color naugahyde locally SMS in Oregon can provide it.
Yeah ... I saw that too.
Thanks for the input.
TS

Old 02-29-2024, 09:47 PM

Default New member eufaula oklahoma

Hello, we just purchased a 62 bonneville that had been sitting since 1975. Super excited to get it running and ready to be my pretty weather daily driver