Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-24-2020, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy ATCO Raceway (maybe) closing

Not looking good for another longstanding track. Info's on Yellowbullet - for some reason the page won't upload from my doc's.

Sounds just like the Etown deal - used car sales/auction/distribution outfit moving in. Potential - or maybe current - new owners discussing plans with Pemberton township officials and probably filed change of use app already per meeting minutes.

Last edited by stags; 06-24-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:06 PM

Won't be long before all the tracks in this #@%^&* state are gone. I liked Atco but it's just too far of a drive for me to go there regularly. There points series is run on Saturday and I work Saturdays so I didn't run there often.
I'm thinking of taking the roll bar out and putting a street motor back in the Cutlass. Racing is dying around here and not just drag racing. The oval stuff too. I'm sure Wall Stadium will be next. Property is getting just too valuable in this state.
I'll be sorry to see it go but knew it was only a matter of time.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:27 AM

Post AT LEAST FOR NOW--FROM ATCO'S WEBSITE AS OF 6/24/20

June 24, 2020

Atco Dragway Racers, Family/Crew Members & Fans:
We’ve been receiving a lot of questions & comments over the past 2 days. We are writing this to try & clear up any misinformation.

WE ARE OPEN FOR BUSINESS. We will be racing this weekend, June 27 & 28, and then will start with our revised 2020 schedule for the remainder of the season (starts July 10 & goes through November). Our revised 2020 schedule is available at our website, www.atcodragway.rocks.

Just a reminder, due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), there’s NO GENERAL PUBLIC SPECTATORS. We are still limiting admission to racers & crew members. We will make an announcement when we are allowed to open again to the general public.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can call (856) 768-2167, email info@atcodragway.rocks or message social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).

Sincerely,
Atco Dragway

Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I live 5 miles from atco and drive by there all the time.
I dont know why they arent allowing spectators.
All of the bars and restaurants around here have opened an outdoor seating area and are jam packed.
Why are they holding out?
I'd think they'd be allowed some people; the stands are big enough now.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.dragzine.com/news/new-je...into-question/

Old 07-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Angry Where the h3ll is the NHRA on this?

If the sanctioning body doesn’t care enough about a Div 1 Sportsman Track to try to step in/help find a buyer, it’s probably a done deal with the auction/car lot organization. Sucks big time. Was my home track and by far favorite bracket/sportsman track. Hopefully Maple Grove isn’t next.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post
If the sanctioning body doesn’t care enough about a Div 1 Sportsman Track to try to step in/help find a buyer, it’s probably a done deal with the auction/car lot organization. Sucks big time. Was my home track and by far favorite bracket/sportsman track. Hopefully Maple Grove isn’t next.
From what I have read no one would pay to use the track as a drag strip what the auction/car lot organization is willing to pay. Saw a rumor on another site that Maple Grove was sold.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a small airport right near Atco, in Albion. Been there forever. Looks like they are storing motorhomes there now.
Would be neat if they converted to a dragstrip.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
From what I have read no one would pay to use the track as a drag strip what the auction/car lot organization is willing to pay. Saw a rumor on another site that Maple Grove was sold.

Stan
I guess the land that Englishtown and Atco sit on has become too valuable and the economics of drag racing too marginal. Same thing killed off drive-in theatres, local amusement parks and similar businesses that I remember growing up. Thinking Maple Grove, Island, Cecil might be safe for now anyway.

I live about a mile from an old strip called Vargo Dragway - closed in '69 I think. Plenty of big names raced there but was mainly a local operation. It's a farm now but the asphalt strip is (mostly) still there and once a year they hold a reunion. The turnout is fantastic and seems to get bigger every year. To hear everyone talk you'd wonder why they ever shut down but 50 years ago the same pressures forced these small tracks out and now it's catching up to the big guys.