Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aftermarket valley pans

What are you guys using for valley pans with V pump. I have a 1970 unit, same one the Tomahawk is patterned after. Clears roller lifters, but I would have to plug the PVC grommet.
The PVC grommet is how I get oil in my engine right now, use transmission funnel. The stud girdles with the baffle I made made it tough to do the valve covers.
New engine will have solid ones.
Do any of you guys use a Tomahawk valley pan and just plug the hole in the grommet with V pump ?
I could just do that.
The Butler cast one has a boss I could drill and tap for 3/8 pipe threads/plug and get oil in that way. Anyone use one of the Butler cast pans ? Not a bad price on them too.
Right now I don't even know if I can use the dipstick provision in my Steffs pan. Its there but you don't know til its in the car. It does not look like I can get a dipstick tube in the OEM block with splayed caps either.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used 2 different stlye aftermarket pans. Used a .080 sheet metal ( aluminum ) pan I got from P-Dude, currently using a AP cast pan. I used the # 12 AN fitting in my valve covers to add oil. I only use 1 side for my vacuum pump. I would be careful using a small port to add oil to the engine. I have a flex dipstick tube for my TH400, it has a small tube size and is a huge pain to add fluid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_182425.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	544382  

Old 07-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my old 467, I filled it through a hole in the fuel pump block off plate.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 07-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
I have used 2 different stlye aftermarket pans. Used a .080 sheet metal ( aluminum ) pan I got from P-Dude, currently using a AP cast pan. I used the # 12 AN fitting in my valve covers to add oil. I only use 1 side for my vacuum pump. I would be careful using a small port to add oil to the engine. I have a flex dipstick tube for my TH400, it has a small tube size and is a huge pain to add fluid.
Same here. I use the vacuum pump bung on the valve cover to fill the engine.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cast Butler pan, anyone try it ?
Has anyone used a factory style cover and plugged the PCV hole ?
This is my first time with a V pump. Would rather get it all right the first time. Thinking about some cheap fabricated valve covers (solid) and adding a #12 AN fitting on a inside top corner, in the middle with a baffle tack welded in that area.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just on Butlers site. Their sheet aluminum pan is similar to the one I used to use. Butlers is made of thicker aluminum. But doesnt look like a cast piece. Looks like rolled aluminum sheet. Should be fine with a plug for the PCV grommet.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stoneburg View Post
I was just on Butlers site. Their sheet aluminum pan is similar to the one I used to use. Butlers is made of thicker aluminum. But doesnt look like a cast piece. Looks like rolled aluminum sheet. Should be fine with a plug for the PCV grommet.
Its the very last valley pan on the page, scroll down. Solid cast.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:33 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

AllPontiac cast pan is a very nice piece.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
AllPontiac cast pan is a very nice piece.
Looks like the same one Butler sells but 20$ cheaper. Think I will call Frank and get one on the way.
Thanks Jack.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Its the very last valley pan on the page, scroll down. Solid cast.
Ok. Yep I just didnt scroll down far enough. That looks like it is the AP valley pan. I havr the same pan now on my 474. I have the raised boss tapped and use it for a vacuum port to check crank case vacuum.