Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Default Balancing Ralley II's

I thought I would take the time to post my experience in order to save someone else a headache.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a couple of sets of Ralley II's to balance out correctly. Up until recent, I was using a couple of shops to handle the tire work for my shop. Frustrated with the results, telling me the tires are out of round, the rims are bent, etc........I bought my own balancing equipment. I have also found out on the Ralley II's, there is no real consistent or concentric way to mount the wheel to the balancer using the cone method. If you rechuck the wheel, the balancer would give you different readings.

Using a pin plate (like you have to for Honeycombs) is the most accurate way to mount the wheel to the balancer, as you are replicating how its mounted to the car. I also rechucked the wheel indexing it differently than how I balanced it, and the results are the same

While some of you may already know this, I thought I could save someone the BS of getting the vibrations out of your car. I'd ask the question to your tire shop and request that pin plates are used (otherwise known a lug centric balancing). It is a bit more labor intensive, but the results are worth it.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	544531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	544532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	544533  

Old 07-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

well I really appreciate the insite to this,...wish I was close to you so you could balance my wheels!!

Old 07-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting! Where did you purchase the pin plates?

Old 07-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Great info...I have been trying to find a shop close to me that can balance my honey comb wheels for awhile now. Nobody knows how to do this anymore.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
Interesting! Where did you purchase the pin plates?
Rocky,

Here is the link.......

https://mt-rsr.com/collections/balan...nge-1-175-2-75

If a person were only to do say the GM 5-4 3/4, you can purchase a plate that does the size and some others. I wanted to be sure to be able to do the Ford, Chrysler, AMC, and older light trucks as well. Hence, why I bought the 4 plate kit.

The thing one needs to pay attention to, is the size of the shaft on the balancer. While to 40mm shaft is common, there are other sizes.

Tim

Old 07-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup

Rally II's are lug centric, not hub centric.

when i worked at a tireshop, we used the pin plate for pretty much everything. thinking back, the only wheels that are hub centric are some trucks with flat lug nuts.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for that information. The pin plate kit for my Coats 950 balancer is $2,029 !!! Have to balance allot of lug centric wheels to pay for that! At a grand, I might consider it.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might also want to know that the new "environmentally friendly" wheel weights will NOT clear the trim rings in Rally II wheels. I had 4 new tires installed at my local Town Fair Tire store. When they were done the manager comes up to me and says they can't put the trim rings back on because they hit the NEW wheel weights. I told him to use the weights that they took off and cut them if necessary. Some people just have no imagination.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Thank you for that information. The pin plate kit for my Coats 950 balancer is $2,029 !!! Have to balance allot of lug centric wheels to pay for that! At a grand, I might consider it.
I believe you should have a 40mm shaft. You can buy outside of Coats for a fair amount less. In fact..........if you are only worried about GM's per say, you can buy a plate that does the 5- 4 3/4 for around 300 ish.

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/produ...hoCo8IQAvD_BwE

Old 07-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, NAPA68!