Old 06-08-2020, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Three Core Support related questions

First ... I've got my original hood latch ... not horribly rusty or anything, but the plating has seen much better days. Since it doesn't appear to be rebuildable, or possible to disassemble for plating ... wondering what to do, use it as is ( it works), replace with a repop? Attempt to clean and paint? Attempt to plate just the main section?

Second .. Could someone maybe put a frame horn air seal in their flatbed scanner and scan it ... preferably a nice original, but a repop would probably suffice also. I've got one original in sad shape .... it's between two granite surface plates right now, after a coat of oil to see if I can get it to flatten out nice so I can use it as a template. Not an emergency ... might be able to use my old one if I have to. Maybe scan at 100 dpi and email me the file, I can print it at 100 dpi and have a perfect template.

Third ... is there a source for the lower radiator air seal used on AC cars? It's the long strip that goes between the bottom of the radiator core and the core support lower beam.

Thanks your time 68 and 69 folks

Old 06-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No real answers for you but a few comments and a question.

My original hood latch came out pretty good after cleaning but I'm deliberating whether to install a 70 latch with the inside hood lock. To my understanding this was optional for 69/70 models and may have been sold over the counter.

I have a torn frame horn seal that I'll go look for.

No source that I'm aware of for the air seal. I have one that's in good condition that came on my non A/C car so I wonder if it was an addition to the late builds. (May)

My question is;
The top of my core support isn't completely flat but slightly depressed in the center for the hood latch. Is that normal?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RWH0EoeAR5iaam8PsxBsqg.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	542028  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's possible that the seal came on non-AC cars also ... I'm just SURE it came on AC cars

My crappy reproduction core support is not depressed in the area of the hood latch. I would imagine on a used original it might be depressed from decades of hood slamming.

Wish the remote hood release was optional on a 68 ... I'd have one.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No factory remote hood release in 69 or 70 but there may have been a dealer install, not listed in the 69 accessory catalog though.

Not sure what you mean by the lower seal, are you referring to one under the rad support like in 69 (used on AC and HD rad cars).

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a picture of one ... it clips to the top of the core support lower beam and seals against the bottom of the radiator.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Radiator-Lower-Seal-2.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	542146  

Old 06-09-2020, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not at all like a 69 lower baffle, I think the plastic fan shroud in 69 negated the need for the baffle in your picture

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have any good ideas for source material for this seal? I looked around at home improvement stuff, didn't see anything that looked suitable. Looks like it's basically folded over rubber. Also looks like the opening faces forward ... I assume so air pressure will expand it to seal against the radiator.

I ordered some stuff (see below), self adhesive that I will still put in place with clips ... figured I could slice it along the front edge to get clips in the cavity ... or just stick it on.

But it's rounded and I don't want to end up with air blowing through it and making a noise like blowing air through your lips at 70 mph

I guess I could just use some rubber sheet and try to encourage a fold with heat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LowerRadiatorSeal.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	556610  

Old 12-22-2020, 02:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Anyone have any good ideas for source material for this seal? I looked around at home improvement stuff, didn't see anything that looked suitable. Looks like it's basically folded over rubber. Also looks like the opening faces forward ... I assume so air pressure will expand it to seal against the radiator.

I ordered some stuff (see below), self adhesive that I will still put in place with clips ... figured I could slice it along the front edge to get clips in the cavity ... or just stick it on.

But it's rounded and I don't want to end up with air blowing through it and making a noise like blowing air through your lips at 70 mph

I guess I could just use some rubber sheet and try to encourage a fold with heat.
still have an old upper firewall/hood seal? I think we cut one of those up to put on my friend's 68 when we put his radiator in. that lower seal was split and missing half of it and we used a piece of the original hood seal that was in the bag from the repop for the "what if you need it someday" . Obviously not the same shape, but it did the job of filling the gap and pretty much hidden after installation.

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found something that might work for this...Picked it up a few months ago after reading this thread. It is a strip of rubber that is intended to be screwed to the bottom of a steel door at my place of work.
Basically, it is 'L' shaped in profile, maybe an inch on each leg of the 'L', about 4 feet long and has a line of screw holes in it. I never tried to install it but might look at it again since I happen to have my lower front valence off right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I thought I'd find in a Home improvement store. I'll take a look for entry door weatherstrip, I was looking at garage door stuff.

Update: ... I know the stuff is made, just don't know where to get it ... mostly business to business stuff

https://therubbercompany.com/extrusi...gle-extrusions

Last edited by dataway; 12-22-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I mentioned, the lower balance is off of my car now so I decided to try the piece of rubber that I found. Fits pretty good.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old 12-22-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
No real answers for you but a few comments and a question.

My original hood latch came out pretty good after cleaning but I'm deliberating whether to install a 70 latch with the inside hood lock. To my understanding this was optional for 69/70 models and may have been sold over the counter.

I have a torn frame horn seal that I'll go look for.

No source that I'm aware of for the air seal. I have one that's in good condition that came on my non A/C car so I wonder if it was an addition to the late builds. (May)

My question is;
The top of my core support isn't completely flat but slightly depressed in the center for the hood latch. Is that normal?

My core support is completely flat where the latch mounts. It is original to the car. Here are a couple pics. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2D310D26-6911-4DF3-9846-773D30CD364D.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	556722   Click image for larger version

Name:	91F02460-7829-4E30-A8EA-82BB6083DEFD.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	556723  

73 Buick Riviera Stage 1, PSMCDR 14.54@93.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that looks like it will do the job. Were you able to get it installed without lifting the radiator?

Looks more important for a 68 than most would think. Without it there is a big gap for air to bypass the radiator at speed, or to just recirculate around the bottom if at a standstill. Not to mention it probably keeps water and debris from getting into the engine compartment. I like the way the set it up with the open end of the V facing forward so air pressure would expand it and seal it against the radiator better.

Pretty obvious the factory realized there was a potential cooling problem with 68s. They went to a lot of trouble to seal up the front, then redesigned the shroud and top plate for 69.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^ I hate auto correct....'lower valance'...lol

No lifting involved. Just stuck it in the gap. Actually, it would probably stay in place pretty well under it's own 'outward' tension but more likely, I'm thinking that I could punch a couple of holes, to match up with some of the screw holes already present in the rubber, and stick a couple of these things in..

Old 12-23-2020, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what my plan is, I've got an assortment pack of those things, should be able to find some that will work.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Update, I did get around to actually installing this thing. Thanks for the tip dataway...Frankly, I never even knew about that particular piece until you mentioned it. When I found that doorsweep in the parking lot, I immediately thought of it. I even had enough left to fill most of the vertical gap on the passengers side. The drivers side has no vertical gap. Tried to upload a before and after pic but wifi is slooooow this morning.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-31-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yours has a vertical gap on the passenger side too? Same here, very close on the driver side, about a 3/8 gap on the pass. side. I thought maybe they recored the radiator wrong or something.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I used a piece of that black foam pipe insulation in that vertcal gap for years but replaced it yesterday when I had the leftover piece of door sweep lying there on the floor. Just stuck that one in there. It's not going anywhere any more than that foam did.
Not sure where you'd find a door sweep like this...I don't even know what it's really called...Grainger might have it?
Here are the pics before and after just for future searchers that can't quite picture what gaps we're talking about.

Before-

After-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201229_141359892.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	557251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201229_141510396.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	557253  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-31-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, that turned out very nice. I was looking for garage door weather stripping ... I bet using "sweep" will get me better results. Without a doubt looks OEM or better.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this stuff on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...458590&sr=8-51

Looks like it could be folded and put in there V forward.

McMaster also has something that looks similar.

Yep, searching for "door sweeps" got me a lot closer to what I was looking for.