67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:23 PM

Default Steering Wheel Location - Rubs Column

I'm installing a repop wood steering wheel kit on my 68 Firebird non-tilt column (was a deluxe wheel before). The problem is the silver plastic trim ring ("hub collar ring") that attaches to the back of the wheel rubs the painted part of the steering column. It's like that trim ring is too thick, or perhaps the steering wheel goes down onto the shaft too far. I'm talking about about 1/16" interference when I tighten the wheel nut where there should be at least 1/16" of clearance between that trim ring and the column.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:51 AM

Are there any adjustments when assembling/servicing the steering column that allow the column shaft to stick out more or less, or maybe instead allow the outer painted cover (around the directional switch) to slightly reposition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mback12000 View Post
I'm installing a repop wood steering wheel kit on my 68 Firebird non-tilt column (was a deluxe wheel before). The problem is the silver plastic trim ring ("hub collar ring") that attaches to the back of the wheel rubs the painted part of the steering column. It's like that trim ring is too thick, or perhaps the steering wheel goes down onto the shaft too far. I'm talking about about 1/16" interference when I tighten the wheel nut where there should be at least 1/16" of clearance between that trim ring and the column.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

On my bird there were two different plates that mounted to the shaft. One that looked like a cog that is held in by a snap ring and another that appeared to function more like a spacer. If that 2nd plate isn't in place, that may cause a wheel to take up some tolerance and rub the column.

The Grant wheel I replaced my original with also had literature that would suggestion that there may be spacers on the spline in some situations.