Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power steering return line

During my engine swap the Power Steering Return Line split.

I see I can get a replacement that comes with the pinch clamp, the steel end with the fitting and pinch clamp.

In the Ames catalog the picture shows the steel end with a pinch clamp installed.

My old line has the pinch clamp on the hard steel side but the other end used a hose clamp.

Is a pinch clamp supposed to be used on both ends?

I never had a problem, but the 50+ year old finally gave out.

If the pinch clamp needs to seated/pinched is there a special tool needed or is this something that can be done with channel locks or something similar?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I found something I have that will work.

After looking at Pinch clamp tools on the web, I realized I have an old pair of hoof trimmers that looks like it will do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinch tool.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	459129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Hoof Nippers.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	459130  

Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had to replace one I just went to a store that delt in hydraulic hoses (I think it was a NAPA) and they made up something that looked like the original with proper hose clamps on each end.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Power Steering return hose.

Pinch clamps both ends. There is a specific tool made to close those clamps. It is the same tool that is used to close the band clamps on all front wheel drive cars, (the big rubber boots that cover the CV joints). For that reason it is not a hard tool to find or buy modern day. I am sure NAPA would be able to order you one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965-69_GTO Lemans PS Return Hose 2ft_A.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	459141   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965-69_GTO Lemans PS Return Hose 2ft_B.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	459142  

Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Two versions.

I have seen the pinch clamps at both ends of the PS return line on Original 65's.

I have also seen what came stock on my 65. Pinch clamp at the steering box end and a screw clamp at the pump end as pictured.

This example is shown in the illustration of the 1965 Tempest Chassis Manual.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!65 Tempest Shop Manual Photo (4).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	459146   Click image for larger version

Name:	!65 Tempest Shop Manual Photo (5).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	459147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	459148  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
I have seen the pinch clamps at both ends of the PS return line on Original 65's.

I have also seen what came stock on my 65. Pinch clamp at the steering box end and a screw clamp at the pump end as pictured.

This example is shown in the illustration of the 1965 Tempest Chassis Manual.

Chris.
Mine had the pinch clamp at the steering box end and the screw clamp at the pump end. unless replaced long ago I believe it to be the original.

I ordered a new return line that has the pinch clamp installed for the steering box side but it comes with a second pinch clamp for the opposite end.

I will probably go with what it had, easier install, but if that really isn't the best way to go I would like feed back.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

60sstuff beat me to it, same illustration in the '64 Tempest Shop Manual.

Doesn't prove what was used, but the illustration definitely is showing a screw type clamp used to connect the return hose to the pump. Perhaps it varied by Plant?

The Corvette guys show this and I think this is the Clamp as illustrated in the '64 Tempest Shop Manual.

https://www.amazon.com/1963-1982-Cor.../dp/B000GAZW52

Is that what the clamp on your pump end looks like? Same type Phillips head screw?

The pinch clamp is at the gear end and would have been part of the Return Hose Assembly, easy to manufacture the hose assembly with a Pinch Clamp.

But I'm guessing it was a lot simpler at Final Assembly to use the Hose Clamp with the Phillips head screw to attach the hose to the pump nipple than to try to install a pinch clamp.

Depends how original you want to be. But I think the screw type would be correct. Especially if the one that was on there and appears to be original matches the repro for the Corvette crowd.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Not my 65 clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Is that what the clamp on your pump end looks like? Same type Phillips head screw
My OEM screw clamp has a straight slot screw.

The screw clamp in my 65 illustration above also shows a straight slot screw.

My return hose states "SWAN P/S RETURN 2-64".

Last photo shows the 66 illustration from the 66 Tempest Chassis Manual. My 66 GTO has this exact set up - pinch clamp at both ends.

HALFWAY, it seems either clamp will work.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	459158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2977.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	459159   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO Recent 207.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	459160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	459161  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those clamps are called "oetiker" clamps ( oh - teck-er)

The hoof pliers will work to crimp them down.
I have a set I used to use on CV axles (before they were so cheap it didnt pay to put boots on) .
They are these style :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIDENT-OETI...kAAOSwl8NVXHbW