Performance Parts For Sale/Wanted Just Performance, non-stock, trailers, tools and related accessories here.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:41 AM

Default WTB Moon Finned Timing Cover

Looking for a MOON finned timing gear cover with no water pump provisions. Im told these were used on boats and dragsters. I cannot seem to find any information on this. Does anybody have one or know someone who does?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-08-2022, 02:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

If you aren't in a hurry, you could wait until warm weather arrives here and I start disassembling an engine that's out in the cold barn. I'll be selling a Moon cover, an S-K tunnelram, and some other stuff.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We used one on the Boss Bird. We got lucky finding a new one but I think they're all gone now. The word on the street was that Moon would make more if they got an order for (6?) more.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 03-08-2022, 06:22 PM

Jack, I just sent you a PM.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks to those who PM'd me. I'll keep you all in mind until the parts are available.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Moon cover was a nice piece. Eric mentioned them making another run of them. I think the magic number was 10 pieces. This was all Pre-COVID of course. No idea if they are still in business and making any new parts anymore. Another alternative, and not as cool looking, IMO, is Kauffman can make a billet cover to meet your needs. Might be $$$. If Jack will have one for sale, that would be the best quick solution.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Using my last Moon cover on my latest build. I don’t see any Pontiac stuff on the Moon site anymore. They used to sell finned valve covers, a really nice finned valley cover, and the finned front covers. It is a nice piece.
Weiand also made finned front covers for Pontiac’s. Had one on my race car. RARE used to have them as well set up for a SBC pump but not anymore. Kauffman seems to be the one to go to now. Billet.

If anyone wants to approach Moon with an order for 10 if that’s what they need, I’d be in for one.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
We used one on the Boss Bird. We got lucky finding a new one but I think they're all gone now. The word on the street was that Moon would make more if they got an order for (6?) more.

Eric
A few years ago at Speedweek I asked if they had any Pontiac timing covers, no! They said 10 would be minimum to cast more? That was 4 years ago??? I'm sure they still have the wood buck to make them.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:16 PM

I called Moon a year or so ago about buying 10 covers. They had no interest in building them. I have 1 brand new in the original box I might be persuaded to part with. Not cheap but brand new. PM me if interested.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Mike,
Keep in mind you can also use any v drive marine Pontiac front cover and just cut off the mounts. I have a few blown set ups using the Moon cover. Also have one on a blown dragster restoration using a marine front cover with the mounts cut off. The one I used was a 'Nicson' pretty common and there were about a half dozen other companies that cast them in the late 50s/early 60s- Weiand, Edelbrock and others. So, don't rule out a marine front cover.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 03-13-2022, 02:04 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

They are scarce, but Cragar also made a drag-style Pontiac timing cover.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've inquired about having a new run of stuff for Pontiacs...hoping for a group buy.....This was their response:
Thank you for your interest.
Unfortunately, tooling for timing cover and valley cover are not good enough to cast any more.
We can however produce valve covers if you order 25 pairs.
340.00/pr and there will be no discount available.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Moon Timing cover seems like a part that could be 3D printed if you really wanted that exact look. They can 3D print parts in aluminum now.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Default Hello???

low63gp- Why no response to my PMs? If you don't want to buy the Moon cover, please let me know.