Old 02-01-2001, 06:59 PM

I bought a 65 GTO with several parts off the car. I rechromed the bumpers, and now when I'm ready to put on the car, guess what! The area (under the license plate) where the gas filler tube goes has no opening, just a horizontal slit about 2" wide at the top. I'm guessing the bumper is off of a wagon, or maybe a '64. Was the '64 bumper the same as '65 but without the necessary opening for the filler tube?
I have to use this bumper, so could anyone describe the dimensions that I need to cut out in order to accomodate the filler opening? I'm upset about not having the correct bumper, but I have to use it now.
I know it's difficult to do this, but I need any help I can get!

Thanks

Old 02-01-2001, 06:59 PM

I bought a 65 GTO with several parts off the car. I rechromed the bumpers, and now when I'm ready to put on the car, guess what! The area (under the license plate) where the gas filler tube goes has no opening, just a horizontal slit about 2" wide at the top. I'm guessing the bumper is off of a wagon, or maybe a '64. Was the '64 bumper the same as '65 but without the necessary opening for the filler tube?
I have to use this bumper, so could anyone describe the dimensions that I need to cut out in order to accomodate the filler opening? I'm upset about not having the correct bumper, but I have to use it now.
I know it's difficult to do this, but I need any help I can get!

Thanks

Old 02-01-2001, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure about a 65, but on a 64 the gas flap is on the tail panel of the car, not the bumper. The flap is beneath the trunk lid and in the center of the tail panel. There is a small handle on it and it pulls out. The gas filler neck goes up into this area. It has the Pontiac letters on it. If the gas tanks are the same for 64 and 65 (which I believe they are), then the arrangement on your 65 should be the same.

------------------
Jim

Old 02-01-2001, 10:58 PM

Just to add a bit more info; the actual gas tanks themselves are the same on the 64 thru 67, it is the filler necks that are different. Jim is correct in describing the location of the filler pipe on the 64, but on the 65 the filler pipe is behind the license plate door and is accessible thru the bumper.

Old 02-01-2001, 11:38 PM

The 65 bumper looks a lot like the 64 but is a different bumper. The 64 has less of a bend at the ends and the 65 is more round. I think you have the 64 bumper without the whole for the filler tube.You can probably cut this out with a wiz wheel cutter. But you will have to watch for rust. If you do cut it out, clear coat it with a couple coats of clear just under the lic plate door.

Old 02-02-2001, 03:31 PM

OK, just my luck. It must be a '64. After holding it up to the car, the sides of the bumper where it meets the quarter panel are about two inches short. Anyone have a nice '65 to swap for a beautifully rechromed '64?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

Default 65 bumper on a 54 ?

rocco..next time I see you at the club meeting..I'll explain about how a 64 won't work for a 65..."cut a area out of a 64 for a 65 fit " wow ! thats funny ! tell the man DON'T DO IT !!!! unless your making a funny car....smile Rocco...louie

Old 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK seriosly you have to tell me how you are acsessing these old posts?????? this one was last ansewerd 7 years ago. what are your VBB settings. when I go back to dig up or search old posts it a PITA to go through the Archives. how the heck are you doing this????

my cars
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Boost Engineer

I would be interested in this info too as I "thought" I had lost thousands of posts with the new computer upgrades.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Have a good 65 core front and rear, will also give you some cash, call me 267-252-6990 Thank you