Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Headliner Strips

There are 2 strips of metal which are connected to the front and rear of the interior which the headliner glues to. They are about 1.5" tall and the width of the front/rear glass. They are silver and not rusted, so I'm guessing they are alum or some other alloy. They are clipped to the sheet metal with a metal through connector which has no visible way to romove. You see the "head" of the connector which is a rectangle about 1/16" by 3/16". It looks like something which is pushed through the hole and body or perhaps a tab which is bent over.

I'm taking the car to the sandblaster in 3 weeks and was told to "remove everything". Should these strips be romoved? How do I remove them? If I remove them, will I have to get new connectors? The metal connectors are very hard and when I push on them with a screwdriver they do not budge or flex at all.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM

The clip has two legs that scissor out when pressed into the hole, with a barb on each end that make it very difficult to remove. I used a pair of pliers and a big screwdriver to get mine out and wound up breaking six of them. I have not been able to find a suitable replacement clip. I don't think leaving them in for sandblasting would hurt. In fact, it might help clean off the dried up glue that mine had all over them.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 PM

I think it's called a Headliner Valence Retainer Clip. I'll try and attach a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headliner Valence Retainer Clip3.gif
Views:	29
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	134571  

Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 AM

Great! Does anyone sell them? I took mine out. I'm glad I did. Lot's of rust underneath that needed cleared out. I'll have my strips sandblasted seperate. Anyone know where these clips can be found? I broke or bent a lot of mine. Would love to replace all of them.

Thanks,
Jason

1965 GTO 4brl/4spd

Hi, my name is Jason . . . and I'm a Pontiholic!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Through the clips away, and just use pop rivets where ever you need to. Make sure you use 1/8" long and do not drill through your roof. Just installed a head liner in my 64 goat. I have been doing this now for years.