Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Motor Advise

Did not have a good day in my 75 GMC 1/2 ton on the way home i blew the engine i think.I know its a chebby but i have found a replacement heart and was wondering if the cost of the engine is in line.It is a 1972 350 out of a 72 camaro with cam edellbrock intake and q jet carb, starter complete pan to carb no rust.He is not sure of miles but was rebuilt at some time and has no leaks chrome valve covers and air cleaner.Can grab for $ 600.00 what do you think.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know what your local market is like, but that doesn't sound like a bad price for a running engine to me.

What's your plan? Throw it in there and drive it 'til it drops, or are you just going to put it in there long enough to rebuild the original?

Do you have any type of emissions inspection in your area?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on what your needs are with the truck, cash flow, and if it is a vehicle you plan on keeping for a while longer. You sometimes can't beat the complete long blocks that you can buy straight from GM or from a distributor who sells them. Your getting a brand new motor, not a rebuild or one that has components that are 20-30 years old. Plus you get a great warranty with them, usually 3 yr 50,000 miles. Again, don't know your situation but these are an excellent option bolt on your intake, water pump and go.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Decent price for a complete engine. But be careful. Fresh looking Orange paint isn't a rebuild. Been there and done that with customers bringing me engines to build. Also make sure it's a 350 if you are buying a 350. 72 also had 307's and they are dogs. Here's a site with the most comprehensive casting numbers I know on Chevies. I use it all the time.

http://www.mortec.com/

Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Suspended

300 for a runner is the going rate here , if you where closer I could sell you a complete 85 305 ho long block that was rebuilt but not installed , you can get a gm short crate for 750 and being its going into a Gm you get a warentee.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the help at this time i do not want to spend the extra cash on a rebuild as this is my 5th engine failure in the last 4 years 2 trucks,2boats and the goat 4 years ago.I know the risk about buying used but the guy is a car guy and seems to be honest about how it run before he took it out of the camaro.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Suspended

Go to gm dealer and buy a new long block $1200.00 w/3yr. warr. Use a friend shop[buis.] get the discount and no tax