Old 06-24-2008, 10:58 AM

A fellow in my tenth grade class told about painting numbers on the family car, racing it on a track (circle or drag.. I don't remember) and stopping at the car wash on the way home to get the water based paint removed.

I am just curious if anyone knows about a track near Pontiac MI in the 60's that would allow a 17 year old to race the family car.

Anyone else have similar experiences with the family car?

Regards
CD175

Old 06-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydesk175 View Post
...I am just curious if anyone knows about a track near Pontiac MI in the 60's that would allow a 17 year old to race the family car...
The Clawson Center parking lot at 14 Mile and Crooks Rd or up and down Woodward Avenue

Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primitive Artist View Post
The Clawson Center parking lot at 14 Mile and Crooks Rd or up and down Woodward Avenue
Thanks

I never raced at either place. (Too young or Too nerdish)

Somehow, I developed a very bad habit in the late 60's.

I would come home from a long assignment to military training or Vietnam and foolishly ask "Where's my car?" "Your younger brother got in accident with it....... But don't worry, He is OK."

"Of all sad stories of tongue or pen, the saddest is "Where's my car?"

Regards
cd175

Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydesk175 View Post

"Of all sad stories of tongue or pen, the saddest is "Where's my car?"

Regards
cd175
i remember when i was 16 my older brother let me drive his 3 yr old mustang
i wrapped it around a tree and totaled it.
then a few months later i took his new mustang out without him knowing it and backed into a telephone pole
took a while for him to speak to me,,,

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late 80's in my SE T/A i had a 96 headed 455 [thanks Kyle for the motor],turbo 400,2,800 stall ,3.23 gear.Some guy drove about 20 miles from Decatur.Ga to Riverdale,Ga because he had heard about my T/A.He had a 1980 T/A with a Chebbie 454 ,well we ran heads up and by the end of 1st gear he was toast and i won by an EASILY 5 car lengths.Well at payment time somebody yelled that i have a sneaky pete bottle in my door panel and i said No it's behind the driver seat.So after he claimed i cheated,i told him i give him 10 cars but needless to said he wouldn't run me again,i could have put 10 cars on him with just the motor.So after all the heated talking that night i had only one other thing to say to him "you should have left the 301 in there,it probably would have ran faster".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drag strip.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	134398  

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=se428bandit;3331981] Time heals nothing, it merely rearranges our memory!
[QUOTE]

As you get older all of your opinions change except for one:

That unchanging opinion is that all of your opinions are absolutely correct

regards
cd175

Last edited by citydesk175; 06-26-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Default My first car

It was in the mid-80's, I was 16 years old and had saved up enough money to buy my first car. Went to the used car lot and saw a couple cars that were in my general price range. The first was a pretty 70 Monte Carlo that I really liked, but it was a little more than what I had...so the salesman tells me to take a look at the 70 LeMans. I looked it over, it had faded gold paint, mud & snow tires on the back and was dirty as heck from sitting at the back of the lot for quite some time....I wasn't too interested, but the sales guy convinced me to take if for a spin......I was hooked.

I bought the car and within a few weeks had beaten all my friends Chevelles and Novas in my "stock 350" LeMans. There was one car that I feared though and that was a black '55 Chevy that had a built 327 in it with cam, headers, aluminum hi-rise, dual quads and according to everyone, was wicked fast. One Friday night cruising the local town square, the 55 pulls up next to me and asks me if I want to run. I tried to beg off, but my buddies in the car with me wouldn't let me, so we went out to a deserted road that lead up to a local factory, and was straight as an arrow and ran about a mile before ending in the parking lot.

We line them up, the owner of the 55 got out and uncapped his exhaust, and I'm thinking I am about to get my butt handed to me. We both do a burnout, him with a huge cloud of smoke, and me with my mud & snow tires howling like crazy. The "starter" yelled "GO" and the 55 just launches. I was a little late leaving the line and the 55 was already 4-5 car lengths ahead of me. I started to reel him in a little at a time but ran out of road. He won by a little over a car length. I knew I had not given him my best race, so when he asked if I wanted to run again, I said yes. We turned around and lined them up again....This time I got the holeshot on him and he never caught me. He was very upset and wanted to see what I had under the hood. So I popped the hood and he was even more upset to see a dirty motor with a "350" air cleaner on it.

It wasn't until quite some time later and many races won that I took the car to a local mechanic that knew his cars, and had heard about how fast my LeMans was. I took the car in because I had an exhaust leak. He looked around under the hood, muttered "What the hell?" and disappeared into his office. He came out about 10 minutes later grinning at me.

"Son" he tells me "that ain't no 350, that is a 455 out of a 71 GTO"

Turns out a guy in it's past had created a nice little sleeper complete with all of the 350 badging, and I had been the lucky one to pick it up.

I sure do miss that car, I traded it in on a Buick Regal in 1987.

1964 Catalina 2+2 - 389 4-speed - SOLD
1971 T-37 (originally 350, now 455 car.[/I]
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by se428bandit View Post
Back in the late 80's in my SE T/A i had a 96 headed 455 [thanks Kyle for the motor],turbo 400,2,800 stall ,3.23 gear.Some guy drove about 20 miles from Decatur.Ga to Riverdale,Ga because he had heard about my T/A.He had a 1980 T/A with a Chebbie 454 ,well we ran heads up and by the end of 1st gear he was toast and i won by an EASILY 5 car lengths.Well at payment time somebody yelled that i have a sneaky pete bottle in my door panel and i said No it's behind the driver seat.So after he claimed i cheated,i told him i give him 10 cars but needless to said he wouldn't run me again,i could have put 10 cars on him with just the motor.So after all the heated talking that night i had only one other thing to say to him "you should have left the 301 in there,it probably would have ran faster".
Very cool story -- when I had the 74 SD455 T/A - ( tuned to 450 hp )- My friend who had a Camaro ( 454 ) would not race mine .