Old 11-27-2022, 04:10 PM

Default Need help for a 1/2 fuel line check valve

Hello,

I'm looking for a good quality check valve to use with my 1/2" fuel line rubber hose setup. Any idea ?

I want to do the same thing like in this video of Fast Monthy's Garage but with 1/2 line ..

As seen at 10 minutes:
https://youtu.be/7-1Mud8DblA

Thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	602687  

Old 11-27-2022, 07:25 PM
Boost Engineer

DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THE HOLE IN THE CHECK VALVE IN THE VIDEO?

Worthless unless you size the parts properly. Buy a check valve with AT LEAST a 5/16" check valve flow opening.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is intended to allow the engine-driven pump to idle the engine; under "real" use you'd have the electric pump engaged...right???

In that case, even a small check valve would allow enough fuel for no-load engine running. I don't see a need for a bigass check valve.

OTOH, I don't see a need for an engine-driven fuel pump at all, if you have a quality electric pump. Therefore, no reason for the check-valve.

And don't use those crappy non-shielded worm-gear clamps. They promote hose damage. "Fuel Injection" clamps (among others including shielded worm-gear clamps) are much preferred.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:12 PM

My goal is to use this electrical pump for priming the carburetor at startup.

(I need a 1/2" check valve on the 1/2" rubber line to feed my Carter M6907 with enough fuel at WOT)

Old 11-28-2022, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright. That's a whole different application than I was envisioning. Yup, you'll need the bigger check-valve.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Once you got ALL of the info, thanks for the concurrence on the Check Valve size.

And I totally agree with you about the Worm Gear being the wrong part for any fuel system application.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m kind of confused.I run a Carter street pump on the engine with 3/8 hard line from that pump to a pair of 750 AFBs on a tunnel ram.I run a elect in the back with 1/2 in going to the Carter.I have the electric on a switch to run it to prime and when the car is raced.The Carter pulls through theelct,have no check valves or anything else in the run except for a factory type 3/8 in-line fuel filter.No return lines.Never had a fuel starvation issue.FWIW,Tom

Old 11-29-2022, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of electric pump? Only pump that really works okay as a pull thru type pump are the pulsating pumps as the vane or gerotor pumps have too much restriction and the fuel ends up having to spin the electric pump vanes to pull fuel.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick,been on the car for 25 years,I’m old,will look under the car.For some reason I kind of think a Holley.Tom

Old 11-29-2022, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mick,it is a Holley,will clean off the cap and get the part number.Maybe Holley blue.Tom

Old 11-29-2022, 02:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Mick,it is a Holley,will clean off the cap and get the part number.Maybe Holley blue.Tom
A Holley Blue or even the Red has failed, at times, with the vanes in the pumps sticking and not traveling to the outside of the fuel pump bores to move the gasoline. But just to prime the carb system it might be still functional some
what.

I thought years ago you posted you used a Carter fuel pump.

Tom V.

Old 11-29-2022, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somewhere back on a shelf in a dimly lit corner of my garage are a row of Holley Blue's lined up like dead soldiers. Each failed in its own unique way, but most from a leaky shaft seal. Yours did extremely well if it has lasted long enough to collect enough dirt to hide its identity.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a Carter on the engine.The electric has been on the car since built.Tom

Old 11-29-2022, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car has not been raced since the POCI show and race in so cal.Just a primer now.Tom