Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. I wanted high end fit and finish and that's how it's turning out.

I have to tell you, these types of cars require a lot of decisions, and after each one I cross my fingers hoping I made the right call. My decisions are guided by a set of general goals of what I think I want rather than an existing template, so I'm kind of unsure about how it's going to turn out in the end. Kind of scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Damn. I'm not sure what else to say...

Looks so good. You're a busy man. Yeah, why don't you just go ahead and sell your house and build a new one right in the middle of this chaos. I love a guy that likes to stay busy. I look forward to watching your progress.
Yup…add in work, having two very active kids (10 & 12), non-car hobbies, and socializing with friends, and just about every second of every day is filled. I can't imagine what it would be like not to be busy, but sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to take a nap or read some fiction under a shade tree!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had much opportunity to think about the Formula the last couple weeks, though at this point it should be buttoned up and ready for primer and blocking.

Our house went under contract with a closing date in 5 weeks so we've been scrambling to figure out next steps. The plan is to make sure inspections and appraisal go well before we make any firm decisions, but it looks like we'll be buying 5 acres in the country and building….great views and plenty of room for a huge garage…the hitch is that it can only be accessed by a half mile of dusty dirt roads.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The gaps and edges of the hood and body panels turned out really nice, and so I may forego the decor and drip rail moldings.

But this got me thinking…if I don't use the drip rail molding, do I just use the same retainer piece with the weatherstrip channel (or is this piece different in cars without drip rail moulding)? Also, do cars without the drip rail molding still use the chrome piece on the back edge of the window/B pillar? I know the window sweeps are different…I just want to make sure I have the rest of the bases covered before I make a final decision.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Subscribing...

I used to live at a house that had an 1/8 mile gravel driveway, and as long as it's dry, and the car is clean, you can use a duster at the end of the driveway or down the street slightly to clean it up. Not a problem. I used to drive down the road a little, which would blow off most of it, then dust it. Get a good duster, like one of the California ones or similar.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Used to live on a short dirt road... I gave up trying to keep under the hood clean...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default deluxe chrome (ESPRIT STYLE)

GATOR67...the inner rails that secure the weatherstrip are the same as are all the doors weatherstriping..(except as you noted that the outer door window sweeps are standard & deluxe..and yes, standard gets that chrome pilar trim (that is repoped)

Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tonopah? Either way best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I haven't had much opportunity to think about the Formula the last couple weeks, though at this point it should be buttoned up and ready for primer and blocking.

Our house went under contract with a closing date in 5 weeks so we've been scrambling to figure out next steps. The plan is to make sure inspections and appraisal go well before we make any firm decisions, but it looks like we'll be buying 5 acres in the country and building….great views and plenty of room for a huge garage…the hitch is that it can only be accessed by a half mile of dusty dirt roads.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Pinnacle Peak in North Scottsdale. The formal offer should go out today. If things work out I'll start a "build my garage" thread. We meet with an architect in an hour.

We just signed a 1 year lease on a home close to where we want to build so we can keep an eye on things during construction. I can't believe how pets, especially the cat, limited our choices. Next step, find and schedule movers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transam1972 View Post
GATOR67...the inner rails that secure the weatherstrip are the same as are all the doors weatherstriping..(except as you noted that the outer door window sweeps are standard & deluxe..and yes, standard gets that chrome pilar trim (that is repoped)
Thanks for your reply!

Will be dropping off the subframe for powder coating next week.

When it gets back we'll install it, along with the subframe connectors, so we can mock up the motor and transmission. Here are the solid body mounts I'll be using.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,

That subframe looks killer! I'll bet this car is going to be a lot of fun to drive.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post

Gator your new open property to build on looks great!
How deep do you have to drill to get water?

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 05-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

City water, thank goodness. Won't have to go through what Mr. Blanding had to deal with when he built his dream house,

Old 05-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pieces in primer, bumper in paint, all ready for blocking. It's cool to see some orange finally!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good! Excellent thread, thanks for posting. Very nice car.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Jeff,

That subframe looks killer! I'll bet this car is going to be a lot of fun to drive.
Thanks Chris. The subframe is overkill, but since I won't ever build another one like this, I figured I may as well go all out. It will be fun to drive, but it needs to be able to run with my buddy's 2014 Camaro SS 1LE on the Inde road course in Wilcox or I'll never hear the end of it.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I decided to drive up to the lot this afternoon. My wife and I were satisfied with the seller's last counter, but I wanted to check things out one more time before making a final decision. I was kind of looking for a sign to tell me what to do. And there it was. Just sitting there in the driveway...I snapped the photo below just as a neighbor walked by. He stopped, looked at me, and than said, "he's got more of those old Firebirds inside". We chatted a bit and as soon as he walked away I phoned our agent and told her we'll accept.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dear Lord, show me a sign!!!!

Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a better shot of the color. It's pretty vivid, especially in the bright sun. Don't think this is what CR looked like from the factory, but it looks great to my eye. Randy uses single stage on the bumper for blocking…the car will be shot in base clear. I had Randy fill the slots for the jack and clean-up the lower lip (which will be painted black).

Here are a couple shots of the car. Virtually no filler. It still has to be shot with primer for final block.

…breaking news from the home front...the owners of the home we're leasing just informed us that they're moving back to town and are voiding our contract…talk about stress…the utilities are already switched over to our names, we've already paid a significant deposit to the movers who are scheduled for next week, and our home closes in two weeks…don't know how we're going to find someplace else that can accommodate us, our pets, and everything we own in that time frame…

Old 05-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good. I can't believe they can void a contract like that unless there was a clause.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the paint & body look great so far. Sorry to hear about your habitation woes. Hope everything works out ok.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car's in good hands - make sure you tell Joe I said hi!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978