THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is GM ready to kill Buick next?

Some buzz in the news about Buicks not selling anywhere but in China, Through the third quarter this year sales are down a 54% having sold 76,547 units compared to 163,745 last year In comparison Chevrolet lost only 3.9 percent, Cadillac is down 0.3 percent, and GMC is down two percent.

GM is also bleeding money with Buick having more dealerships (2000) as compared to say, Toyota (1500) and Nissan (1078). Only Jeep has more dealerships (2,415) but they historically sell 800,000 to 900,000 vehicles annually.

Maybe they should have kept Pontiac after all?

Old 11-17-2022, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They have 2000 dealerships? I feel like that number is skewed, as most Buick dealers are grouped in with GMC and sometimes Cadillac.

And no, Pontiac would be in the same situation right now.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They have only sold well in China for some strange reason.

I knew it would eventually haunt them to kill the performance brand.

Even seniors don't buy Buicks anymore lol.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was blown away when they eliminated Oldsmobile, their oldest brand. I think Saturn even lasted longer than Olds. Shame. Not everybody wants a Chevrolet. Or a Cadillac.

GM hasn't built anything of interest to me in 50 years, though.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:12 PM

I think Buick is planning on updating their product line in the next few years. I like the looks of their Wildcat EV show car, if that's any indication of their upcoming styling.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buick-wildcat-pass-profile-jpg-1668467412.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	602267  

Old 11-17-2022, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buick's death has been in the planning stages for a couple years. Should be gone in a year or two. Haven't looked at their demographics lately, but I just can't imagine ANYONE under 70 buying a new one. Did Buick build a single vehicle after the GN/GNX that anyone would be passionate about owning? I can't think of a single one. BICK, "the only thing missing is U". or any other American.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reatta? Supercharged LeSabre? I was definitely surprised when they killed Pontiac and kept Buick.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The GM guys are still working from their home too, the guys I know that used to work at the Tech center get upset if you mention they should go back to work. Lol

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-17-2022, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

You guys that say Buick has not built anything exciting since the GN have probably never driven a 2012 or newer Regal GS. That is a great car, I owned a 2016 for a couple of years, before buying my truck. It has a turbocharged 2.0 4 cylinder making 260 hp. Some were available with a manual transmission and all-wheel drive was an option. It handled very well and is fun to drive. All lot of us "GM employees" are and have been going to work every day since Covid started. I work in Global Safety with Product litigation, and lawsuits never stop. With over 70% of the world's lawyers and any stupid crash you cause or are involved in is not your fault, according to them, we stay pretty busy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Reatta? Supercharged LeSabre? I was definitely surprised when they killed Pontiac and kept Buick.
The only thing that's actually interested me recently, after looking at the Enclave and renting a couple of the hideous little Encore and the almost as disappointing Envision, is the Opel-built Regal TourX wagon to maybe replace our '96 Roadmaster wagon. Have only seen 2 "in the wild" and production was low, prices are still ridiculous. I have concerns that the turbo 4 cylinder can even measure up to the LT-1 in the Roadie.

Pontiac was killed by the feds during bailout "negotiations", it was revealed a couple years later. We'll have to discuss that elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 07:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Buick's death has been in the planning stages for a couple years. Should be gone in a year or two. Haven't looked at their demographics lately, but I just can't imagine ANYONE under 70 buying a new one. Did Buick build a single vehicle after the GN/GNX that anyone would be passionate about owning? I can't think of a single one. BICK, "the only thing missing is U". or any other American.
The Chinese have been in love with the Buick vehicle for at least 15 years.
First High Demand American Vehicle sold there, years ago.
At least 4 times the volume of a Ford sold there in the beginning of that 15 years run.

No surprises though if it gets dropped. Just like the Russian Sales of Ford Vehicles attempted 3 times.

Agree totally, Mike.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:05 PM

I was in Taiwan in 1992/1993 and Buicks had been a prestige vehicle for some time already back then.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now maybe they rethink Pontiac and bring it back. IF they are smart.

IF IRC. Didn't GM say seniors wanted Buicks over Pontiacs, after they killed Pontiac? Granted GM royally messed up the Pontiac brand before that time, so the demand faded away.

Steuart, I like the looks of that Wildcat too. But not an EV. Or an option for gas or EV.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drop Buick. buy DMC. make money, revive PMD and Buick. Make GM Pipeline and Refinery…in U.S.A.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
You guys that say Buick has not built anything exciting since the GN have probably never driven a 2012 or newer Regal GS. That is a great car, I owned a 2016 for a couple of years, before buying my truck. It has a turbocharged 2.0 4 cylinder making 260 hp. Some were available with a manual transmission and all-wheel drive was an option. It handled very well and is fun to drive. All lot of us "GM employees" are and have been going to work every day since Covid started. I work in Global Safety with Product litigation, and lawsuits never stop. With over 70% of the world's lawyers and any stupid crash you cause or are involved in is not your fault, according to them, we stay pretty busy.
No dis-respect for the hard working people who still have a job at GM. It has to be a thankless job at times, I'm sure. I have driven everything GM offers with the exception of specialty Corvette models, typically 1 or 2 years behind production. My school has the GM ASEP program, started in 1984, and we currently have a fleet of about 50 late model GM cars and trucks. Personally, just not a fan of Buick styling, especially exterior. Just like their own commercials where people "don't know the car is a Buick", the styling is bland and generic. In every road test by every reviewer, they are always middle to slightly below middle of their class. Yes, they have decent power, handling, braking, features, but never anything special. I never get out of one and think to myself, "I would like to own this". They have a distinct rental car feel to me. But that's why we all have so many different cars and trucks to choose from. Sales will determine their US survival. I will admit after driving the CTSV Cadillac 6 speed we had donated, I did get the feeling it was a "special car", when I got out. As mentioned, no Buick gave me that feeling since a GN.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

China is the only reason Buick is still alive.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GM could make Buick a China only deal and drop it in the rest of the world.

There wasn't a single Buick model that sells well enough to keep it alive in the US when they killed Pontiac. This is still true today. Today's Chevrolet's will cover the low end Buick buyer and the high end Buick buyer can move up to Cadillac.

Truck wise, combining the GMC and Chevrolet truck lines would allow GM to kill the myth that the Ford F series is the best selling pickup. Decide on a brand name (General, Chevolet/GMC, etc), model name (something fresh) and use the Denali designator for the high end.

Full size truck sales for 2021:

GM - 768,698
Ford - 726,004

And last year wasn't the first time this was true.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GM missed the F'ing boat with not taking advantage of the GM RWD platform that Caddy/Holden had and make a new GN or Roadmaster. I had a Turbo 6spd Verano of the 2013 variety and it was a fun car to drive but tight inside. The GS Regal was a good one too but wasn't advertised very well and just marketed to the wrong groups of people.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cadillac Celestiq is a new car and a new way of doing business according to GM.

"The Cadillac Celestiq EV, with a big price tag and an ultra-exclusive customer experience to match, represents the future direction of the brand."

The company has said that it will start “north of $300,000".
Customization choices will no doubt push prices even higher.

https://www.cadillac.com/electric/celestiq

Makes you wonder if the pie-in-the-sky people over at GM actually think they're gonna sell a boatload of these. Good for them for their optimism, if nothing else.

Maybe in China ?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 AM
Boost Engineer

Killing Buick would be the last thing GM would want to do.
They have done well with that model and will continue to do well as long as GM offers
it in China.

But every year it is the same "discussion" about Truck Sales.
Two Brands Chevrolet and GMC vs one brand, Ford.

Happy that GM is selling ok vs going Bankrupt and asking for more money again.
Chrysler has been all over the map under different names.
They are building a nice Turbocharged vehicle though.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.