Old 01-21-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4darush View Post
Thank you for the comments guys.

On the NOM...Yes it was sold and purchased with the assumption that the #'s don't match on the motor. With that said, the only number that was provided was the 485428 casting. I do not have the car yet and thus all the facts have not yet been determined. This hobby of ours has many levels. Not everyone has the ability to clearly make out a VIN stamp or climb way in there to see the date code. I have purchased more than one car in the past where it was assumed NOM only because the seller was unable to read/confirm what was there. The obvious assumption at this time is NOM, but that remains an assumption until I get my hands on it and confirm it with my own two eyes.

Originality is obviously important when it comes to value, but that's not everything. The car is still cool even if the block doesn't have the right numbers on it.
Please don't think I am nitpicking. I think it's a great car and was interested as soon as I saw it go up. I was trying to determine with the seller if it was numbers matching before I started talking money him. I was just wondering if you had found out something I hadn't.

I'm looking forward to additional pictures once you get it! It looked great in the photos and I bet was stunning with the D98 Accent Stripes.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, and yes, 3.08:1 was the only axle ratio available with the L75 455 in the Formula and Trans Am in 1974.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
Please don't think I am nitpicking. I think it's a great car and was interested as soon as I saw it go up. I was trying to determine with the seller if it was numbers matching before I started talking money him. I was just wondering if you had found out something I hadn't.

I'm looking forward to additional pictures once you get it! It looked great in the photos and I bet was stunning with the D98 Accent Stripes.
No problem at all Rocky. I did the same obviously prior to making an offer but the only certain conclusion I came to was assume the worst, hope for the best.

Once I get it, I will bring it back to original appearance. It may take a while, but the stripe will eventually be put back on the car.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to im4darush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great looking car. I would follow through with the stripes, and the various missing trim as ordered on this car. Well bought!

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you for the comments guys.

On the NOM...Yes it was sold and purchased with the assumption that the #'s don't match on the motor. With that said, the only number that was provided was the 485428 casting. I do not have the car yet and thus all the facts have not yet been determined. This hobby of ours has many levels. Not everyone has the ability to clearly make out a VIN stamp or climb way in there to see the date code. I have purchased more than one car in the past where it was assumed NOM only because the seller was unable to read/confirm what was there. The obvious assumption at this time is NOM, but that remains an assumption until I get my hands on it and confirm it with my own two eyes.

Originality is obviously important when it comes to value, but that's not everything. The car is still cool even if the block doesn't have the right numbers on it.

With that said, there are a few things I am curious about. The Y90 Custom Trim Group. I know that is the deluxe interior but not sure if there is a distinction between what materials were used. These cars could be optioned with just regular vinyl, or cloth with velour inserts on the seat centers and door panels. Does the Y90 just designate deluxe interior with no other codes for cloth or vinyl? I was not able to see anything on the PHS to specifically call this out. I have seen many cars in person with the vinyl, but have only seen the cloth in photos.

Safe-T-Track. This is the limited slip, but what is the factory gear? I think I have seen 3.08 but not certain.

And lastly, this car has two switches over by the cig lighter. One is for the rear defog (C49 on the PHS). Any idea what the other could be?
I think he should have left off the part about non matching numbers. Cost him some money.

Posting info on Y90 and color combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FBodyY90Dec73.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	529371   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FBodyOrderFormExtIntColors.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	529372   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FBodyInvoicingColorTrim.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	529373  

Old 03-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car, and one of my favorite interiors. I love the black with the cloth inserts.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Once I get it, I will bring it back to original appearance. It may take a while, but the stripe will eventually be put back on the car.
This was posted on Jan 21
The original listing said it ended/sold Jan 18 for $18,500

It then shows it was relisted and ended/sold for $17,500 on Jan 23
Post-dating any posts made by im4darush about the car.

The relisted listing goes a little deeper into some descriptions.
Guessing that im4darush perhaps backed out on the car ?
Not knocking on him, or the car.
But the car was a little less than what most might have hoped for going by the original listing/description.
Quite a few more weaknesses disclosed.
I would have probably walked away from it even before going to do a personal inspection. JMHO

Quote:
1974 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455 with stock Ram Air. Excellent and mostly original condition. Engine is NOT numbers matching though it is the correct engine for the car as it is marked as such (485428, which is a base 455 for 73 and 74 Firebirds). Painted last year (2019). Upgraded with electronic ignition, Hedman headers (original exhaust manifolds still on hand), and Flowmaster dual exhaust. Original Delco radio has been rebuilt with MP3 capability and modern electronics. Aftermarket speakers front and rear. AC is complete, though not working. Heater core leaks, so is bypassed. Windshield has small chip near bottom passenger side. The Turbo 400 three speed transmission shifts as it should. At 60 MPH, the tack reads almost 2800 RPM. Interior is near perfect to include carpet, headliner, dash, door panels, and seats. Lamp group and all gauges work except clock. Has electronic door locks and rear window defogger (defogger not working as back glass has been replaced). Engine runs great with Edlebrock manifold and original Rochester carb. Car includes two sets of keys, owners manual, carpeted floor mats, spare tire, aftermarket jack, copy of original window sticker, and documentation for all work and parts since I have had the car (purchased 2015). I recently serviced the coolant system and changed oil and filter (Pennzoil Full Synthetic 10W30 oil and Bosch filter). Transmission has also been serviced since 2015. Headlight bezels should be replaced and Honeycomb wheels should be refinished. Tires are good. Car has been undercoated probably from original dealership, and still in tact.

If you are looking for a concours perfect car, showroom quality car, trailer queen, museum quality car, time capsule, race car, or resto-mod...PLEASE MOVE ON TO THE NEXT eBAY LISTING. This car looks as beautiful in person as it does in the photos. It is a driver to be enjoyed and driven to collector car events, car shows, class reunions, weddings, drive-ins, and even funerals. It runs great; it'll peel out, sounds good, and it attracts a lot of attention. It has some body rust issues just as any 46 year old car probably does, but it is solid. Over time, the rust issues will need to be addressed. This car is a product of an earlier restoration. All of the body and suspension bushings were replaced during this restoration.

I am selling my 74 Formula because I have a 71 Formula 400 that I have more time and money in. I prefer it over the 74 as it is more rare, bare bones, and I like the Enduro front bumper. Otherwise, I don't have the space to store and maintain two collector cars at my retirement home on the MS Gulfcoast.

I am offering this 74 Formula at a reasonable price, much better than the other eBay listings for 70-78 Firebird Formulas. I DON'T FLIP CARS! This is a relisting because the previous potential buyer was looking for something much more perfect. In the previous listing, I had 6 offers and many interested parties. All of the offers were at least $16,000. I am happy to accommodate your inquiries best that I can. However, I am not a professional mechanic, so am limited in my technical expertise when it comes to types of heads, cams, gear ratios, etc. I have had Firebirds all my life, so I do know a little. I do know that Firebirds are much more rare than Camaros (never had a Camaro). I have additional photos available at your request and an email address. These photos include the rusted areas and underneath of the car. If you are local, the car is certainly available for your inspection and test drive. I hope that I have been as forthcoming and honest as I can be about my 74 Formula. Thank you for your interest.