Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
I went through a nitemare with CC last summer with my brother's lifters. A wheel on one broke immediately on start-up and ruined a lobe on the cam .
That's interesting because if I remember correctly Paul C told me that's the reason why he doesn't like using the Comp lifters. The newer (longer) lifters have more of that wheel exposed and the lifter body looks pretty thin as it comes down the sides for the roller pin. They had one of the wheels break off too. It's why he doesn't recommend them, and always recommends the Johnsons.

So I guess there is that possibility there, although I've never experienced one breaking myself. Paul builds a hell of a lot more engines than I do so I trust what he has to say.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
...that stinks to hear about the one breaking or other noise issues... but even with as many reports we read about tickers, there are probably 10's of thousands of them in service doing fine. as with most things, you only read/hear about the small percentage that have issues, i dont think that qualifies them as "junk."
Or they are junk and we are not hearing from the others that have tickers.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Or they are junk and we are not hearing from the others that have tickers.
i suppose thats possible.. but i think if you do the math, the number of working ones far outweighs the tickers or other problems & the percentage of bad ones would be .0xx of 1%. if it was that bad you would hear about it a LOT more.

dont get me wrong, ive read probably all the threads & comments on these lifters over the years here & other forums, but for every bad comment there are far more good comments like FJ's & others that say they are doing fine & without the lifter bore mod. some builders wont use them, just like some wont use eagle cranks/rods or XE cams etc etc, but there are countless ones in use with happy customers.

same goes for things like electronics or almost any automotive or household part, there are bad reviews of everything... but happy customers dont usually bother to post about items like unhappy ones do. & there is always user error or specific issues that can cause bad parts & complaints, not to mention defects or bad runs of stuff. i guess im a glass half full guy & dont condemn something just because a small group had problems.

quick real world comparison, i used to work in customer service for the 2nd largest phone & communications company (at the time) in the world. started in front line service then spent most time in escalations & repair... it got frustrating dealing with unhappy customers & complaints on a daily basis & from that perspective you would think the company was horrible & couldnt do anything right... because of that management would do quarterly or yearly reports showing the number of calls or mail into the escalation dept, there would be for example 25,000 complaints handled in a quarter, which looked terrible until they divided that by the ~20 million plus active customers we had... that was like .0025 of 1%! you cant call a company or product junk with those types of numbers or even a full 1%. same goes for comp lifters, if they were junk & had all these issues there would be a class action lawsuit or forums overloaded with complaints & nobody would buy them & thats just not the case.

sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 78w72; 03-24-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's pretty much the nature of the internet. Usually the only time you hear anything about any product, no matter what it is, it's when someone is complaining about it. You rarely ever hear of the success stories. That's just how people are. So there is no way to even remotely compare the failure/success rate because the latter is rarely ever talked about.

I've used more comp rollers in engines than I can even remember and as far back as 2000-ish, and currently have 2 of our own engines running them, and I've never had a single issue with them.

I've had people tell me, well you're a lucky one. No I don't believe that. What it really is, is simply that I'm one of the very few that care to get on a forum and talk about success stories and I believe I'm part of a much larger majority that you just don't hear about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tens of thousands since 2017, that's a lot of sets of lifters. All I can report is my experience and others on this board who have had similar experiences, and I have pictures I posted of them with the collapsed PR cups. I'm not happy paying $500 plus for lifters and have them be defective, I don't expect anyone would. I have used CC HR lifters before they switched to Shavers without issue. If you had good luck with them then good for you, but I did not.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Tens of thousands since 2017, that's a lot of sets of lifters. All I can report is my experience and others on this board who have had similar experiences, and I have pictures I posted of them with the collapsed PR cups. I'm not happy paying $500 plus for lifters and have them be defective, I don't expect anyone would. I have used CC HR lifters before they switched to Shavers without issue. If you had good luck with them then good for you, but I did not.
didnt mean since 2017, i meant in general since they were introduced which was well before 2017, i got mine at the end of 2014 from SD.

i & others appreciate reporting your experiences but just the same i'm reporting my experience & many others have reported positive experiences with them & im sure those far outweigh the bad.

i agree that a $500 part should not have any issues, but hard to put a number on bad vs good with a mass produced part... thats like saying i wont buy a new samsung TV just because there are a small amount of reports out there of problems, if people followed that logic nobody would buy anything!

Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never put a number on bad vs good, just reported my experience. Not sure why people have a problem with that.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not sure why people have a problem with that.
i dont see anyone having a problem with that... i even said i appreciate posting your experience.... was just replying to the comment that comp S lifter are "junk."