WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Transmission Tech

04-06 Transmission Tech Automatic or Manual trans issues

Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 AM

Hello! I'm new. You folks may have already been through this but I need your help. I know there's a 1-4 shift "skipper" kit available. Does anyone make a short-throw shifter for the
GTO 6-speed? SLP tells me their unit for the WS6 tranny will not fit.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Chief

Thunder,

There are several skip shift eliminators out there, and prices vary. The SLP I've got on my car was given to me as a gift. But the RKSport skip shift eliminator is a more compact package and it's less expensive. Whatever the shape or brand they all do the same thing...something you could actually do yourself for less than $1.50. It's a 2.2Kohm .5W resistor across the plug that goes to the CAGS solenoid on the tranny. When the PCM senses conditions that trigger the 1-4 shift, it sees the load and thinks the solenoid is still connected. You will still get the 1-4 light on the dash, but the gates to 2nd and 3rd gears will no longer be locked out. The only reason most people go with a "store-bought" version is they look more professional than a resistor taped across the end of a cable.

As for a shifter, here's a nice thread on the B&M Short Throw Shifter. I've still got the stock shifter myself, but when I do upgrade I'll be getting one of these. This one keeps the stock shifter height, but the throws are shorter and cleaner. Many of the other short-throws I've seen pictures of are actually shorter sticks too. So if you retain the stock stitched leather boot the shifter looks like a bag lady's leg with her hose all bunched up.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 AM

Jeff:

Thanks a bunch! Knew I'd find the answer here. The install article hook-up was a great help too.

Thnder
Old 07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

Here's another link for short throw shifters. These guys make a lot of accessories for Monaros and GTOs.

http://www.jhp.com.au/monaro-gto/gto-short-shift.php
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM

I like my B&M.

I have had one problem with it though. When you remove the shift knob from the stock stick, it loosens a bit. It doesn't fit as tightly back on to the B&M stick. I've actually yanked the knob off a couple times when shifting hard into second. Some other guys have said that they've had to use some type of adhesive to hold the knob on. I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to have to

Just an FYI. Good luck!

00 GTP NBM / Graphite, Stock
Sold Aug. 2011

70 GTO Black / Black TH400
460 CID, 542 FWHP, 580 FWTQ
(Sold, Fall '09)

04 GTO Black / Black M6
Back to bone stock and sold, fall '05.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is also a ton of info for our new GTO's on the LS1GTO site including how to make the skip shift connector.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.