National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can someone try and get a rough ballpark on how late the races go on Thursday night. I'll be leaving after work Thursday with a 6 hour drive. Be nice to get in that night and maybe get a pass or two in.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Can someone try and get a rough ballpark on how late the races go on Thursday night. I'll be leaving after work Thursday with a 6 hour drive. Be nice to get in that night and maybe get a pass or two in.
I think the thursday night deal is similar to what they do here in Cinti at Edgewater. Arm drop/street style racing but no time slips or at least nothing on the board. They started doing this last year locally and from what I heard, its turned out to be a big weekly event, I never made it down to one. I would think it would go until 10:30 or 11?? maybe even later??

Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Meyer View Post
Here is my concern: When I travel a distance to enter a race, I usually enter both the box & non box classes. I do not run a box, but race enough to be competitive in the box class. Can I enter both sides? If I race myself, I know who will win! - Bill -
As it sits now, the answer would be yes, but only if you qualified for the Q16.

Maybe the answer is dropping the Q16 program and going back to our original plan of just having a Pro class and a Super Pro class?

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!

Last edited by PaulatFast; 02-27-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, I hate the fact that this thread has a negative name attached to it... "not what I expected". When you invest 30-40 hours a week on a volunteer basis doing something good for the hobby, then see a negative connotation like that it's dis-heartening. I know we are driving positive discussion but on the surface it looks bad... how many just read the title, shake thier head and think, here they go again?

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
By the way, I hate the fact that this thread has a negative name attached to it... "not what I expected". When you invest 30-40 hours a week on a volunteer basis doing something good for the hobby, then see a negative connotation like that it's dis-heartening. I know we are driving positive discussion but on the surface it looks bad... how many just read the title, shake thier head and think, here they go again?
We only race 2 or 3 times a year, usually at Pontiac events. It's only fun for us! Sure, we enjoy the competition and would like to 'win', but we sure don't drive 14 hours one way and spend ton's of money expecting to win a cheap trophy or a few bucks. Makes no difference to us what the format is. It's all in fun guys!

BTW Paul, I'm probably going to put my car in the show also. Trying to figure out which day the GTOAA Popular and Concours judging is where I can send in my registration.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Paul, the "not what I expected" could be taken either way IMO. It was not intended to deter people from the event. But in my 20 years of racing I've never seen this format (other than racing for "Chief of the Pontiacs" at Norwalk) that I can remember, so I was a bit surprised. We all know how hard you guys have worked on this project and appreciate your efforts. I hope this thread would bring a good discussion to either make people accept the format and know what to expect when they get there instead of being surprised, or create a good discussion on what people want to see and possible improvements. If you feel this thread is harmful, just say the word and I'll ask a moderator to delete it, or at least remove "not what I expected".

Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well boys and girls at least there having a RACE. In my opinion POCI really dropped the ball last year. Thought they where having races and was just test and tune. Everybody Have Fun

Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a thought on the 'combo'.

Not sure what timing system the track uses, but they could use the 'stagger' setup for the race.

This makes the 1st yellow light come on at different times.
This makes the 'box' guy not use a cross-over.
(all the other yellows are accurate)

They could use the second yellow but would have to get used to that.
(anticipation comes in)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates

Last edited by johnta1; 02-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Here's a thought on the 'combo'.

Not sure what timing system the track uses, but they could use the 'stagger' setup for the race.

This makes the 1st yellow light come on at different times.
This makes the 'box' guy not use a cross-over or the top bulb of his side.
(all the other yellows are accurate)

Basically makes them bottom bulb leaving.

They could use the second yellow but would have to get used to that.
(anticipation comes in)

Or just have no Crosstalk, I bet most people attending probably have no idea what it is in the first place or how it works. Just a standard .500 handicap bracket tree.
Guys, realize, almost every box car will probably qualify or fall into the quick 16 race so they can do whatever they want electronics wise. The ones that don't will just race in the bigger all run race and the guys who still want to use their boxes will race each other until there is one left! That car will then race whoever is left from the no box side of the race in the final round. All the no box guys will run separate until there is one left. Frankly by then, the cream of the crop has risen in the no box ranks and generally those people have no problems racing a box car for the win!
You can say this or that about box and no box cars but when all is said and done the number of no box cars for an event like this will out number the box cars by maybe as much as 4 to 1.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Maybe the answer is dropping the Q16 program and going back to our original plan of just having a Pro class and a Super Pro class?
If your taking votes, I like that idea. I believe someone said the Q 8/16 draws spectators.
The same Q 8/16 cars will likely be there if the purse is the same ??
And don't forget a Trophy class.
No idea how to get an accurate "vote" on what the racers want??
OGR

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
Thought they where having races and was just test and tune. Everybody Have Fun
That is why we've basically eliminated the T&T and made it a true street race. Instead of charging someone $30-$35 just to test and tune and make a couple of passes, why not have a little friendly competition with a a little payout for the same money??? Your guaranteed 3 passes regardless, 2 time runs and at least one round of competition. If for some reason you don't want to compete when eliminations are called, just let the other guy your racing or the guys running the staging lanes know and they'll make the necessary changes.

We're just trying to mix thing up a bit and maybe spark someones interest in actually racing instead of just making T&T passes.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
If your taking votes, I like that idea. I believe someone said the Q 8/16 draws spectators.
The same Q 8/16 cars will likely be there if the purse is the same ??
And don't forget a Trophy class.
No idea how to get an accurate "vote" on what the racers want??
OGR
I knew you would!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Chief

Rob however it turns out. Thanks for your effort in making the race happen!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Pro,Super Pro,trophy sound just right....just like your average track.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Paul thanks for the effort to make this a great event.Doug Chell