National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
...and congratulations on your first hand job.
OMG that was funny.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just back from the Nationals and wondering what others thought of the event? Attendance appeared to be extremely low including the venders. Just wondered what others that attended thought of it and reasons for the low turnout.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Just back from the Nationals and wondering what others thought of the event? Attendance appeared to be extremely low including the venders. Just wondered what others that attended thought of it and reasons for the low turnout.
I know I saw a family turn around and walk out with several small children because they were charging $5 a piece to see the cars inside. Also...my son couldn't make it yet was not able to get his $90 entry fees refunded. I thought we were trying to introduce new blood into the hobby? And anyone who pre-registers is silly. This does not sound like a formula to grow an ailing hobby...and I can list a few more drawbacks but I simply want to suggest a remedy...not bash anyone in particular. Our club hosted several National events and successful ones I might add. These are just some of the discouraging changes I've picked up on. That and a lack of drag races are all tough to overcome when trying to convince folks to spend their precious vacation time not to mention hard earned dollars at your event. Gas at $4+ cannot help either. I didn't see very many of the "regulars" there at all. Anyone hear what the total count was? Does Wangers not sponsor the races?

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
I know I saw a family turn around and walk out with several small children because they were charging $5 a piece to see the cars inside. Also...my son couldn't make it yet was not able to get his $90 entry fees refunded. I thought we were trying to introduce new blood into the hobby? And anyone who pre-registers is silly. This does not sound like a formula to grow an ailing hobby...and I can list a few more drawbacks but I simply want to suggest a remedy...not bash anyone in particular. Our club hosted several National events and successful ones I might add. These are just some of the discouraging changes I've picked up on. That and a lack of drag races are all tough to overcome when trying to convince folks to spend their precious vacation time not to mention hard earned dollars at your event. Gas at $4+ cannot help either. I didn't see very many of the "regulars" there at all. Anyone hear what the total count was?
Must be a host club thing about the refund. I had preregistered for last year's CoVention and when I couldn't attend I got a refund check in the mail. I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting it. The Drag Racing has been part of the event going way back into the mid 80's. I hope this isn't a start of a trend. I know for a fact that there are a lot of Pontiac racers that don't preregister and just show up on race day. If I were on the fence about going, the cancellation of the drag racing would certainly make my mind up to stay home.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Yes...

we were directed to the host club and were given the cold shoulder...didn't want to discuss it. I knew better than to push it...what with my temper and all. Just seems like bad business...hoping this isn't gonna start being ALL about the dollar. Never hear of charging to see the cars either. Those kids are not the only ones who missed an opportunity. The GTOAA recruitment took a hit. Just sayin'...

Old 07-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One thing that surprised me this years was the theft of parts. I know of one vender that lost 2 $75 radiator caps and a member attending that brought an original Ram Air vacuum actuator that took him 5 years to find and someone actually stole it from behind his car a few minutes after he was talking about it. As for the cost of getting into the concourse cars and original owner cars and the venders that were set up inside was strange to say the least. Having the event on the 4th of July weekend was a thought out idea. Getting the convention center at the lowest cost since the 4th weekend is the least desirable time to hold a convention hence the cheapest. The concert was nice but since I didn't buy a ticket in advance I couldn't go into the fenced off area to watch even though the band was paid for by our host the Performance Years.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
One thing that surprised me this years was the theft of parts. I know of one vender that lost 2 $75 radiator caps and a member attending that brought an original Ram Air vacuum actuator that took him 5 years to find and someone actually stole it from behind his car a few minutes after he was talking about it. As for the cost of getting into the concourse cars and original owner cars and the venders that were set up inside was strange to say the least. Having the event on the 4th of July weekend was a thought out idea. Getting the convention center at the lowest cost since the 4th weekend is the least desirable time to hold a convention hence the cheapest. The concert was nice but since I didn't buy a ticket in advance I couldn't go into the fenced off area to watch even though the band was paid for by our host the Performance Years.
vendors had it hard enough as it was....didn't talk to one that was happy...and I know most of 'em. We didn't buy tickets for the dinner because we were told the concert was free...just the dinner wasn't. We were given tickets by club members who had a change in plans and after the picnic...it was announced that folks who didn't have an armband would be asked to leave!!! Chris probably should have been notified immediately. They had already announced that the party was sponsored by Year One...then this slap in the face. I hope this is the last Nats this outfit ever plans on having. Sure it's not the Pittsburgh Stealers? Won't see ME back there...just sayin'...

Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They already posted up some pics posted up https://www.facebook.com/GTOAA

Looks like 2015 will be in Columbus, Indiana.

Last edited by tripower; 07-06-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a link to pictures of 244 cars.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=545315d1e0

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy My apologies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
vendors had it hard enough as it was....didn't talk to one that was happy...and I know most of 'em. We didn't buy tickets for the dinner because we were told the concert was free...just the dinner wasn't. We were given tickets by club members who had a change in plans and after the picnic...it was announced that folks who didn't have an armband would be asked to leave!!! Chris probably should have been notified immediately. They had already announced that the party was sponsored by Year One...then this slap in the face. I hope this is the last Nats this outfit ever plans on having. Sure it's not the Pittsburgh Stealers? Won't see ME back there...just sayin'...
My remarks were out of line. Forgive me.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was on the fence about going to Pittsburgh, but didn't. Not all of us can be away from family on July 4. After reading the feedback, maybe I didn't miss much. The 50th anniversary of the '64 GTO was the appeal for me, since my wife and I both have a '64. But, both in the POCI and GTOAA conventions, there was not a lot of fanfare about the '64's 50th anniversary. I would have thought there would be a special award for the nicest '64's---but if there was, I didn't hear anything about it before or after the conventions.

There were so many "new" '64 GTO's at the convention, at least according to the pictures that Ron Cozzo posted. I've never seen that number of '64 GTO's at a convention in the past. This was a real positive, at least for me.

Also surprising to me was the lack of a drag race event at the GTOAA event. For GTO owners especially, this is what it's all about.

I've posted some of my concerns in another thread about the 2015 conventions and I hope it triggers a CONSTRUCTIVE discussion about our future.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoyed seeing the cars. The club was cheerful and helpful at registration. I talked to one of the guys about the racing he said something that 9 cars signed up and the track wanted serious money(thousands) to rent. So it was a nos. decision. First time at a GTOAA event. I listened to a discussion on the 64 GTO water pump casting. The judge said it was different for 64 than later yrs. The 64 specific pump had a 'V' casting (not the letter) on the passenger side. The cars I looked at inside and outside only 2 had this pump. Learned a little. Thanks to all who put on this show. Want a 65 4spd.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who pre-registers for a drag race? We have done two convention races and never dreamed of even offering a pre-registration for them. Anyone pre-register for Norwalk?

My suggestion would have been to work out a deal with the track to have the convention drag race coincide with the regular tune-n-test on Thursday night. No track rental and plenty to see. Could have scaled back to two classes and had a great time. Nobody asked me though. Lol.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Registration numbers topped 350 because I registered late Wed and was 353.
There were 63 concours cars, 17 display only and at high noon on pop vote day there were 112 cars on the pop vote lot... Including some cars not registered.
That is around 200 cars on display. Since not everyone actually cares to show thier car, lets assume there were 225-250 cars there. I counted around 25 vendors.

Those are all pretty good numbers in my opinion. I bet the official numbers are much higher!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a great time! It's always about the people for me... As long as they are there I am going to enjoy the event!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
lets assume there were 225-250 cars there.
That estimate sounds pretty good. I took 244 pictures of cars inside and popular vote. There's probably a couple duplicates and I'm certain I missed a few.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

75 Concours cars registered.
-26 Modified
-42 Restored
-7 Factory Original (Unrestored)

68 Completed the judging process (6 no shows/cancellations and 1 that decided to only display the car)
- 42 Gold Awards
- 15 Silver Awards
- 9 Bronze Awards
- 2 without enough points

I think that was a really good year for the Concours program. 81 total cars were inside including specialty and concours cars. Those are the OFFICIAL numbers for the 2014 GTOAA Concours Program.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Little to compare with as far as GTO conventions go. However I will say the the people were nice and helpful from time in to time out. went alone but stayed entertained.

Enjoyed meeting Scott Tiemann he was head of 64 65 judging crew. Where my car was entered . all the people I meet were engaging.

The GTOAA judging was enlightening I have positive thought and negative on that. But the lack of protocol and description of what they concerned about is vague in the class rules posted online. I'll be better next time LOL

I left Baltimore at 12;00 p/m after a frantic completion of the car that morning. To arrive at 4;15. The items I got beat up on were all my rush to complete the car. Dum little stuff. chips in dash bezel, dirty pedal pads scuff on sill. lose deck board ect. ALL ON ME no issue with anyone else. Just glad to get car judged. Now I can fix it.

Cars there were very nice some super nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0603.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	369388  

Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is my 2 cents worth on the nationals: As I am basically working 7 days a week I have no time to work on my car so again I was just a spectator this year. I did call off of work on wed and thurs to attend as could not get off on vacation so lost my holiday pay also but it was worth it. Not all bad as got to spend more time with the wife and grand daughter and all had a good time. There were activities to do for the people with no cars to care for or spouses/kids to keep them entertained. Shopping right across the street. Grandkid used the pool a lot. I thought the turnout was pretty good. I saw more than a few people there that have cars done that did not bring them. Don't know why just sayin. I think there were not a lot of vendors as Norwalk is only a month away and a much bigger show to sell at if your only picking one show to do. I saw more than a few cars in the popular vote show that were basically show cars and should have been inside. That is one thing that always pisses me off as pop vote is for guys that drive their cars on the street not on the trailer. I thought the parking lot party tickets cost a lot(x3 for me) for just burgers/beans but after hearing the band I was more than satisfied as they were VERY good. The grand daughter even liked them and didn't get bored, I was surprised as she is only 10. There were some incredible concours cars and more 64's than usual. The Judge(s) worked very late judging the cars and Im sure the best of shows were not an easy pick for sure. We attended the awards banquet but did not buy the dinner as just too much $$ for my liking. I would of attended the drag races had it not been cancelled. Would of thought that Paul and Doug would have been used as a resource for situations like this as they have done the nationals a few times and done it pretty well. Live and learn. I thought the traffic was horrible for the suburbs and the road signage was not very good. Overall had a great time, talked to people you only see once a year, maybe twice and look forward to next year in Indiana. Should be able to get vacation next year as its not July 4th week! Maybe wont just be spectating anymore. See you all at Norwalk. Jim

Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Yep...

would have loved to had a pic of all the '64's in one frame...probably never see that many gathered together again.