Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

His 2 tone is not a GT and is original. Sedans were not GT's, only ht's
The solid color is a clone.
The other one with vent windows I have personally seen is mine.
But not GTO's. Just lowly T-37's.
Would like to see a LeMans sedan HO. '71 or '72.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
His 2 tone is not a GT and is original. Sedans were not GT's
i knew that..brain fart in 71 all GTs where hardtops...70 could be either way....

was there ever a 72 GT sedan? or would it have to be a GTO?

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There were no '72 2 door post LeMans with the GT option. To order the WU2 option on a '72 LeMans
had to be a 2 door hardtop or LeMans Sport convert.

There were no '71 LeMans 2 door post (23527 bodystyle) with factory installed 455 HO's. Nobody ordered one, instead, for those desiring a '71 2 door post with 455 HO, one ordered a T37 post. 11 were built.

On the '72 LeMans 2 door posts (w/o GTO option), 9 were ordered with the 455 HO engine. Believe 5 have been recorded, number wise, with at least 4 of these 5 existing.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 07-11-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And of course had to order the T-41 option for the HO in '72.

Okay, back to the original topic.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Truman Fields owned a 72 GTO Hardtop 455HO, 4 speed hardtop, bench seat, heavy duty suspension, transistorized ignition. White exterior, green interior. Ran as super stocker.
A rare car?
It's somewhere in New Jersey now...supposedly...
Is this it? I will be driving it in August. Not mine but know the owner

Jody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HO.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	369714  

- W72 400 - 4speed
- WS6
- Heritage Brown
- Air Conditioning
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice 72 GTO launch!

To me, The HO is what matters. Vent windows don't pull wheels off ground....

Yes that Dans solid color is a vent window and a clone.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefidee View Post
Is this it? I will be driving it in August. Not mine but know the owner

Jody
Yes,
Car only had decals on quarters and lettering on trunk area, when sold approx 2 years ago.
Driving where? Racing?
A friend of mine owned it from 1980-2012.
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have several pictures of this car from back in the day. What a race history it has also. I just talked to Mark and the motor is not done yet as we were going to drive it at Woodward. May not happen this year but next year for sure. I think he plans on racing it some.

Jody

- W72 400 - 4speed
- WS6
- Heritage Brown
- Air Conditioning
Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 Super Stock Pics

Jeff,

I had a ton of pics but had deleted most of them. Here are a few that I have.

Jody
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Truman's SS HO Goat 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	369834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truman's SS HO Goat 5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	369835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truman's SS HO Goat 6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	369836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truman's SS HO Goat.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	369837  

- W72 400 - 4speed
- WS6
- Heritage Brown
- Air Conditioning
Old 07-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I believe I saw that car in person at the GTO convention in Colorado
If you're talking about the 2002 Colorado convention, it was not THIS car but one nearly identical. I drove from Des Moines, IA to the Denver Convention in the front bench seat equipped, non-A/C, BLACK interior car that is nearly identical to this. It was owned by a friend, who has since passed, named Al. What a collection he had too. Al was quite a bit shorter than I am so I was crammed in like a sardine, driving across Nebraska during the hottest part of summer, with a black interior and 100+F temps. The wind entering the car was HOT. Not the most "fun" car trip from a comfort perspective.

I will try to dig up those pictures. From what I can see of this car featured above, Al's car was it's equal in condition. I will need to chat with his son to see if I can get some pictures.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There were pics of the Wilderness green '72 M22 post car up on PY a year or two ago. Someone snapped them in Colorado, thought at a big show.

Al P's black '72 post car was at Indy GTOAA Nats in 93(?). Vended that one & remember checking it out & taking pics of it under the large stands at the Brickyard. More info would be great!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Al 's post coupe was wilderness green, but was a 400 GTO. He had a 455-HO in there with a 4 speed. It was a bench seat car too.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes... remember the black bench guts, little foggy on the rest.

Little off topic, but I don't remember ever seeing factory installed bucket seats in a '72 LeMans 2 door Post.
With the '72 LeMans 2 door Posts using the basic interior door panels, wouldn't that limit the front seat choice to a fabric/vinyl or all vinyl bench?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 PM

When we ordered our GTO in '72, I was told that buckets were not available in the sedan model.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Here is a picture of a 1972 LeMans 2 door post I have, with the endura option. 350ci, Turbo 350 auto with AC car.

Can't be too many of these around. Does anyone know how many of these were produced? Is it all that rare?

Thank you,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0305.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	370086  

Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks Exactly like my back up car.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What determined whether or not you got the bright trim moldings around the door frames on these post sedans ?

Were 71 72 rocker moldings the same schematic as earlier GTO's - - as in GTO didn't get CID call out emblems ,, but Tempest/Lemans did get callouts on Rockers ?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
What determined whether or not you got the bright trim moldings around the door frames on these post sedans ?

Were 71 72 rocker moldings the same schematic as earlier GTO's - - as in GTO didn't get CID call out emblems ,, but Tempest/Lemans did get callouts on Rockers ?
The bright door frame reveal moldings were optional. On my HO T-37 Post, WOM's & the bright reveal mldgs are a few of the nickel & dime options that thankfully were not ordered. On the 72 LeMans 400 4spd Post, same deal... door frames are body color. Over the last 20 years have also had two '72 LeMans Post partscars, & both had the bright trim. While most '72 LeMans Posts had the bnoht trim, no rhyme or reason for a few not being built with them ... still have a few pieces of this door trim if anyone is looking for any.

On the bright rocker trim, it is standard on the '70-'72 LeMans & LeMans Sports, & is optional, & occasionally ordered on '70 Tempests & late '70 & 71 T-37's. Factory rocker trimmed equipped 350 & 400 A-bodys for these years had emblem piercing holes in the trim for the 350 or 400 emblems.

When ordered with the optional rocker trim, '70-72 6 cyl cars, as well as '71 455 & 455 HO 233-235-237 series 2 door cars, along with the '72 455HO LeMans & '72 455 Lux LeMans came with the exact same rocker trim as '70-72 GTO's. Tempests & T-37's, otherwise did not come with the rocker trim. There also were no 455 emblems on the rocker trim. The 455 rocker trim emblems were a Pontiac B series deal, & over the last 10 years, the aftermarket has chosen to produce 455 emblems to bolt onto A-body rocker trim.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 07-14-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Name:	Truman's SS HO Goat 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	370281

77 Trashcan, Truman gave me a call and put me onto the HO. I have his Hard Times RA I bird he sold me.

The car is currently started down the road to preservation. In many ways it was in fantastic shape, in a few not as much. Truman has relayed a tremendous amount of background as have others that were involved in the project directly at Pontiac engineering. We have all the NOS stickers, Motor Wheel rims, and such to put it as it should be. The President of Motor Wheels has even gotten into the mix as he remembered the car well. And Dan Jensen has the motor, but we are both busy and have not gotten past tearing it down. I have the heads as of today ready to send to him. It will hopefully turn wheels in anger once more on a race track soon enough.

The car set SS/K records right off the trailer back in '72. Pontiac sent a role of 455 HO GTO stickers in the glove box. They would often take the Goat stickers off and run it as a Lemans as it had a 200 lb. weight brake in SS/I. Pontiac built the car very light and in SS/K they would have to add the 200 lbs. to make weight. There is a fair amount of hidden trickery from Pontiac to do so when the car was shipped. It had been successful enough that Mother Mopar set the Ramchargers, Sox and Martin...after them. They never got there and beat the HO. Ford was a pain in Pontiac's side at the time with the 428 CJ stick cars still being a dominate force in stock. With this in mind they switched to G/S for INDY in '72. The car promptly went out and set the G/S record and won class. The nearest 428 CJ car was running over 0.4 behind. They sold the Goat immediately after INDY. The car went on to reset the G/S records in '74 and twice in '75. It made runner up at INDY but never won INDY again. Truman got transferred by IBM and he also let the 455 HO E/SA Formula go at that time that Pontiac had provided.

Thanks for recalling a great HO GTO that many do not remember. The Bird is being painted as we speak and the resto is far along. It will ultimately be worked back into its '73 INDY winning guise. BTW, it ran 12.30's with a mild! motor in full Pure Stock form on the bias ply's. It has more in it as it was not a max effort PS motor. It still has factory rods and pistons! We will race the bird in PS at Dan's race a time or two and then it will go back to the Nostalgia piece it should be. The HO will be preserved along with the good patina saved. We are trying to save the basic nature of the car as much of it is original paint...

Mark

Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So it did race against DodgeBoys and Sox&Martin ?
i couldn't decipher that part clear enough

My uncle raced a Ford called Dr. DoLittle against Sox in later 60's very early 70's at NC tracks.
He hated (agonized) racing Pontiacs moreso than racing Sox , if Ronnie beat you - okay he beat everybody moreso than not.
When the Pontiacs beat you ... you just got Beat